• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

How bad are the 2014-15 Forester seats?

• My Butt hurts the seats are so bad

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seats are tolerable but still below averge on long trips

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Meh, seats are average

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Seats are better than average

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Scruffy

At first I wanted a Jeep, but my wife reminded me I'm gonna have to keep it for 200K miles or 10 years (house financial guideline). Cars are just utility for us, not an end.

My short list didn't contain a Kia or Sorento...

Bill, can you elaborate on why the jeep ( and what model jeep?) didn't make your short list after your wife reminded you you'll need to keep the thing for 10 years? Reliability? Cost of maintenance? MPG? Resale value? Just curious, not starting anything. I'm in the market for a new ski vehicle myself soon and found this thread useful.

gmcunni

crank

My girlfriend has a 2014 Forester. Seats are fine...we take a lot of long trips up to northern VT, NH, etc. She did get a higher end package on her car though if that makes a difference in the seating quality.

Warp Daddy

Bill we have a 2012 Outback Limited ,leather heated seats are awesome , ride is smooth we love it has 25 k on it

also have a 2014 RAv 4 XLE , nice. Car like it too but the OUTBACK ride and seats are superior . Will buy another when necessary .

bigbog

Bill,
If a Jeep Wrangler is still on the list......try a late model Xterra with 4wd(2012-15') or 4Runner. Quite a few lightly used Xterras around, for a dinosaur design..but works fine($.01_opinion).
MPG was never great but that's what you get for a truck chassis=great offroad.

Last edited:

We have a 2015 Outback with eyesight, full leather seats. Very Comfortable. Also interested in selling it.

catskillman

Are you aware that there is a class action lawsuit regarding the oil burning situation. These cars are burning oil. You need to add oil at 1500 miles.

JimG.

Staff member
We are driving 3 Subis now and have owned 2 others. Oil burning and topping off oil has never been an issue.
Subis do get leaky head gaskets that usually need replacement after 100,000 miles or so. Not a cheap repair but I have never replaced more than one on any of the Subis I've owned.

All have (gotten) over 200,000 miles and my 04 Outback had over 350,000; it would still be running if it had not been rear ended and totaled stopped at a school crossing. Seats were fine too.

JimG.

Staff member
It's not normal for an engine to burn oil.

Oil wears out; "burning" oil may reflect a maintenance issue more so than mechanical.

An engine that "smokes" oil is truly burning oil and that is due to a mechanical issue. Or oil was spilled on the engine block/exhaust when replaced.

Cannonball

My 2013 Crosstrek has $60K miles on it. I've owned it since new. Occasionally and randomly it goes from completely full oil to almost empty oil instantly. I have to always carry oil just in case. The dealer shrugs.

My Mom's 2014 Impreza has $30K on it. She's owned it since new. Starting at brand new, it was frequently losing all of its oil instantaneously. She had it back to the dealer at least a dozen times for "seal and gasket" repairs. Eventually they replaced the engine.

My Wife's 2015 Forester doesn't seem to have any oil issues.

yeggous

My 2013 Crosstrek has $60K miles on it. I've owned it since new. Occasionally and randomly it goes from completely full oil to almost empty oil instantly. I have to always carry oil just in case. The dealer shrugs.

My Mom's 2014 Impreza has $30K on it. She's owned it since new. Starting at brand new, it was frequently losing all of its oil instantaneously. She had it back to the dealer at least a dozen times for "seal and gasket" repairs. Eventually they replaced the engine.

My Wife's 2015 Forester doesn't seem to have any oil issues.

How could an issue like this go on so long without being fixed? It blows my mind. At least in the case of BMW and Audi I can see some handwaving answer about a compromise with performance. Those German cars are known to be maintenance nightmares and buyers seem to accept that. But Subaru? This surprises me, but it seems to be the case.