I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: How bad are the 2014-15 Forester seats?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Butt hurts the seats are so bad

2 22.22%
  • Seats are tolerable but still below averge on long trips

2 22.22%
  • Meh, seats are average

4 44.44%
  • Seats are better than average

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Question I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

The last time Subarus were discussed here was 2013. Since then, Subaru has refreshed both the Forester and Outback / rebadged.

I am in the market for a 2014 or 15 Forester or Outback. I buy used. I really want to love the Forester. There are only two things holding me back right now. 1. Highway Noise and 2. Seat comfort.

I know, I've got to try them for myself, but a lot of people on several sub boards are dissing the comfort of the Forester. It is especially for long rides this is an issue.

I have also heard that the seats are different as you go up the trim levels, from base, to premium, to limited to touring. A couple people mentioned that the leather seats are nice.

Now, I know this is uber-subjective, body types, height, age and various preferences, but I'd like you to take a swing at this.

I drive to the NH and Maine mountains a LOT, summer, fall and winter. In the summer, I go soft-roading, that is, off paved roads onto forest, logging or local roads, mostly unmaintained. I take these roads to get someplace. I can take getting banged around there. So I'm not looking for comments on handling, etc., just creature comfort.

I've heard nothing but good things about the outback seats. But I'm still smitten over the Forester. I just don't want to have a bad ride for the next 10 years.

Long trips = 100 miles +

What do you think?
    Thanks!
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Pass, Those are too big drawbacks that can't be overcome especially after a long day of skiing.

Lots of crossover options, wife has a Kia Sorrento and loves it ! Great in snow and has lots of power, quiet and comfortable ride and heated seats.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

[QUOTE=Siliconebobsquarepants;948563]Pass, /QUOTE]

I can't get past the Forester's AWD, x-mode transmission, 8.5" ground clearance and reliability ratings. Do hit those boulders now and then.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

I'm a well known Subaru hater and the Forester will likely be the next car I get for my wife. Only compact AWD SUV or Wagon left on the market you can get a manual transmission in. I'd rather put her in a 4 door Tacoma, but too big for her liking.

Guess owning a Subaru will be my just deserts for all the years I've crapped on them.

[QUOTE=billski;948564]
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Pass, /QUOTE]

I can't get past the Forester's AWD, x-mode transmission, 8.5" ground clearance and reliability ratings. Do hit those boulders now and then.
    Kia is 7.3" I have yet to get stuck , I live off road . Trans has a lock button for extra traction.

I bought a little impreza a couple years ago. It drives nice, gets good mileage and is great in the snow but man it feels like a disposable car.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I looked at the Forester. It is too small for me. I liked the Outback, but at that price point there are better options. For an SUV, the new Santa Fe Sport is nice. Bigger than both Subarus and has been automated safety features than the Subaru EyeSight.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

I have the top trim level seats in my 2013 Outback and love them!
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

[QUOTE=Siliconebobsquarepants;948567]
    Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post

Kia is 7.3" I have yet to get stuck , I live off road . Trans has a lock button for extra traction.
    What yr Sorento? My wife has a '12 Sorento EX v6. It's nice enough but when we replace it will likely be in a Mazda CX-5/9. Fit/finish on the Kias is not the best IMHO
    I've never used the lock button. Work well?
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

[QUOTE=xwhaler;948603]
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post

What yr Sorento? My wife has a '12 Sorento EX v6. It's nice enough but when we replace it will likely be in a Mazda CX-5/9. Fit/finish on the Kias is not the best IMHO
    I've never used the lock button. Work well?
    11 EX, Haven't had to use the lock button but tried it out and hit the gas pretty hard on some packed snow , was noticeable traction difference. The car was her choice after getting rid of the car from Hell Volvo XC90 . Worst car I've ever owned maintenance wise.

Thread Information