• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man, it sure is quiet around here

skiNEwhere

Is it me or has this forum been a lot less active the past year or so?

Seems like a lot of people are lurking now (myself included) most of the time, due to all the inactivity. Everyone, start post whoring and wake this place up!

ScottySkis

Seems like a lot of people are lurking now (myself included) most of the time, due to all the inactivity. Everyone, start post whoring and wake this place up!
It just same stuff over and over again specially that Scotty who wants the harmful plant of Cannibus legalization. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
Sh*tty season in the east.

Been hiking and fishing. Packed it in after my last day at Hunter after the trip to QC.

SkiFanE

I was planning to ski one more day at SR today but just got too lazy Friday afternoon to make the trek for it. Makes me sad :(. Thought of spring bumps always kept me excited for spring day like today. Gear is in ME though so K trip is tough. Bathroom ripped apart enough to do here.

but I seek knowledge / advice and that always brings out the posters lol. It's re: wildlife. My daughter and I have noticed a small quick animal around the house that gets active when we go to/from driveway and by bushes at front of house - at night. Usual animals - squirrels chipmunks - aren't nocturnal. Driving us crazy because it's dark and we can hear it but can't see it. Seems about small squirrel size. She saw a fisher cat out her window last week in the trees but from the sound of the scurrying we hear, that seems too big. We're in Boston burbs.

Savemeasammy

Maybe a flying squirrel. They are nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

Maybe a flying squirrel. They are nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Winner winner chicken dinner! Makes sense - one night they seemed to be birds because it was in the bushes. And the first year we lived here we had one in the house, shooed it out and never saw one again. At least I hope you're right , was getting kinda freaked we could be bitten lol.

dlague

I seemed to have lost the energy to be on here much lately. I know I am just one person, but this season got old fast. With the move and new job just dont have the time either. Being on here also does not seem fitting due to no longer being in NE. So I too lurk more than participate.

Cannonball

There are a few members that have just sucked the fun out of the room. The obsessive need to contradict, correct, and argue every minor point makes for threads that devolve way too fast. It's really not enjoyable. I mostly just lurk now to see how the season is wrapping up in the east and west. But I don't have much interest in posting.

ctenidae

There are a few members that have just sucked the fun out of the room. The obsessive need to contradict, correct, and argue every minor point makes for threads that devolve way too fast. It's really not enjoyable. I mostly just lurk now to see how the season is wrapping up in the east and west. But I don't have much interest in posting.

I categorically disagree with your statement. There's more than a few members, who blow, and it's not an obsessive need to contradict, they are right, and need to educate everyone else. There's no point so minor in an online forum that it can't be argued.

Cannonball

I categorically disagree with your statement. There's more than a few members, who blow, and it's not an obsessive need to contradict, they are right, and need to educate everyone else. There's no point so minor in an online forum that it can't be argued.

Well now that you put it that way... I guess we should all appreciative for the schooling.

steamboat1

You mean the moderating team.

skiNEwhere

I definitely don't post as much as I used to. Part of the reason being that since I'm in Colorado now I don't have a lot to contribute to any of the threads about current ski conditions.

I do post here and there about conditions in CO in case people are interested in coming out but only sporadically, especially considering the shitty season the northeast had.

Been on this site almost 10 years, there's been some poor seasons lodged in between, still don't think I've ever seen it this quiet.

Seems like a lot of heavy hitters have left or mostly stopped posting, and there haven't been a lot of new members to replace them.

Call me crazy but I think it's too bad snow lover was banned. Yea his tact and confrontational manner was an issue but he had the uncanny ability to illicit 200 responses to his posts in under 2 days.

JimG.

Staff member
Again, no mystery.

Eastern ski site, historically crappy winter.

I'm in summer mode early, just moving on. If I didn't moderate here I would visit much less often at this point.

JimG.

Staff member
Call me crazy but I think it's too bad snow lover was banned. Yea his tact and confrontational manner was an issue but he had the uncanny ability to illicit 200 responses to his posts in under 2 days.

So, we need to recruit more of these types of posters?

skiNEwhere

So, we need to recruit more of these types of posters?

Not recruit per se, but at loosen up the vaguely defined guidelines on what's considered acceptable. SL was rough around the edges but I did enjoy some of his posts.

Scruffy

+1
It does become tedious after a while to have to defend every post you make. Posts on these types of forums should be like casual conversations, not like defending a thesis.

SkiFanE

I'm slow, so I finally get this. Good one!I think the nature of online boards always means people are hyper sensitive and split hairs. I know in real life when I'm chatting and someone is blabbing, I think to myself "oh...I need to mention my experience/thought/insight/opinion" but then by the time they're done talking - my thoughts are irrelevant or so off topic I'd look silly bringing convo back to thought 2 minutes before. No chance of that happening on a board, unless topic is pages deep.

SkiFanE

Not recruit per se, but at loosen up the vaguely defined guidelines on what's considered acceptable. SL was rough around the edges but I did enjoy some of his posts.

Anyone miss GSS yet? I always have - kid cracked me up.

skiNEwhere

Anyone miss GSS yet? I always have - kid cracked me up.

Eh....knew it would eventually delve in this direction. He did contribute a lot, but he also posted a lot of stuff that didn't really add anything whatsoever to the thread on hand. I did find it annoying that he seemed to feel compelled to post on every page in EVERY.SINGLE.THREAD.

Kind of like firing a machine gun at a target 100 yards away with a single trigger pull. A few posts hit the bullseye, some weren't that far off, and the others completely missed the target,

IMO, it was a wash at best.