• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best expert chairlifts in new england

nhskier1969

Note, must have a few expert runs off chairlift must have at least 1400+ vertical, can't have a long run-out.

North Peak Express, Loon Mtn
Heaven Gate, Sugarbush
Castlerock, Sugarbush
Madona, Smuggs
single chair, MRG

please add, comment.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cannon Tram. (Unless it not being a chairlift disqualifies it)

Top 3 for callenge expert run in New England with DJs. One of the longest, most challenging glades in Kinsman. No run-out

Kennebago Quad - Saddleback. I don't have much experience there, but what I saw is legit

Bear, Superstar and Canyon quad at Killington - all great expert pods

Forerunner at Stowe - Front Five

xwhaler

Kennebago at Saddleback. Under your stated vertical but loads of expert terrain from tight trees to steep open groomers to classic narrow new England old school trails.

Imho for expert skiers one of the absolute best pods in new England to lap all day.

cdskier

What's your definition of "expert" runs? I don't go by trail rating alone as I don't necessarily agree with some trail ratings on certain trails...

I love Sugarbush, but I don't know that I would put Heaven's Gate on that list. Paradise is the only trail off that lift that I would really consider an "expert" trail.

Stowe's FourRunner Quad needs to be on this list.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You got two of mine--Castlerock, Single Chair.

I'd also add Bear Mountain Quad at Killington and White Heat Quad at Sunday River (or "Number 10").

skithetrees

Gondola at Stowe if you are willing to hike up above and black or red at Magic. Technically not always 'runs' as I think some of the best stuff is in the trees, but I think the best consistent runs of any lifts in the east. Of course include the single at mad river and castle rock is solid as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Gondola at Stowe if you are willing to hike up above and black or red at Magic. Technically not always 'runs' as I think some of the best stuff is in the trees, but I think the best consistent runs of any lifts in the east. Of course include the single at mad river.

Good choices there.

Surprised nobody has thrown out Madonna at Smuggs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skyline / Spillway at Sugarloaf - Nitro, Gondi line, Bubblecuffer, Winters Way and all the glades in-between those trails are legit

steamboat1

Disqualified because it only has 1242' vertical but I'm surprised no one ever mentions Valley House chair at Sugarbush. So many good runs; Steins & Steins woods, The Mall, Twist, Gangstas Grotto, Egans. Love that pod. When it's crowded & they have good snow I can & have spent the whole day in there. Not super steep but legit.

NRX at Ellen has some legit runs too. Exterminator, Bravo & their associated woods, not to mention the trails on the upper half of GMX.

Last edited:

chuckstah

Skyline at the Loaf accesses some good terrain. But some, like Bracketts can't be lapped from it without another lift ride.
DHS beat me to it.

BenedictGomez

Forerunner Quad
Single Chair
Castelrock

Yes, there are others, but IMO these are the most obvious choices.

steamboat1

Bear, Superstar and Canyon quad at Killington - all great expert pods
What about poor little old K-1, Catwalk, Downdraft/Cascade headwalls, upper Escapade/Helter Skelter to name a few. Just about everything on the mountain can be accessed from there including Canyon/Superstar/Bear pods, OL/Devils Fiddle & everything in between. Want some challenging glades? Try Anarchy, Juanita, Julia & Growler to name a few. All accessible from one lift if you know your way around.