• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best expert chairlifts in new england

deadheadskier

Staff member
What about poor little old K-1, Catwalk, Downdraft/Cascade headwalls, upper Escapade/Helter Skelter to name a few. Just about everything on the mountain can be accessed from there including Canyon/Superstar/Bear pods, OL/Devils Fiddle & everything in between. Want some challenging glades? Try Anarchy, Juanita, Julia & Growler to name a few. All accessible from one lift if you know your way around.

I had considered K1, but figured that didn't work due to the long run out qualifier, so I didn't include it. I guess some of those trees and the Bear stuff technically have a long run in and no run-out.

Terry

Kennebago at Saddleback. Under your stated vertical but loads of expert terrain from tight trees to steep open groomers to classic narrow new England old school trails.

Imho for expert skiers one of the absolute best pods in new England to lap all day.
I totally agree! Hope to be able to ski it this year.

Smellytele

What about poor little old K-1, Catwalk, Downdraft/Cascade headwalls, upper Escapade/Helter Skelter to name a few. Just about everything on the mountain can be accessed from there including Canyon/Superstar/Bear pods, OL/Devils Fiddle & everything in between. Want some challenging glades? Try Anarchy, Juanita, Julia & Growler to name a few. All accessible from one lift if you know your way around.
K-1 does have a runout on some of those trails you mention below the Canyon Chair.

skiMEbike

Skyline & Forerunner

Those two lifts HAVE to be in the top 5 for this list to have any legitimacy. They have some of the steepest terrain in all the East accessed from these lifts & when those places are 100% open...It doesn't get much better (IMO).

cdskier

Except for Liftline & Rumble Castle Rock really isn't that steep. It gets it rep from lack of grooming & natural snow.

That is true. Narrow and original grades as well.

Sounds good to me.

It also fits the definition in that it literally is, all expert terrain, which is a chair rarity.

Completely agree. I'll take the natural twists and turns plus natural snow and no grooming of Middle Earth and CastleRock Run any day over something that is simply steep with no character.

Puck it

I think the best expert chairlift in New England is the Cannonball Chair at Cannon. That unload ramp can have have some nasty ass conditions and make the toughest slope at Cannon on days. Right Cannonball!!!!

The other is the High Country double at WV, not for speed but for the feel like you are going to fall of the whole way up if the safety is not down.

Domeskier

I think the best expert chairlift in New England is the Cannonball Chair at Cannon. That unload ramp can have have some nasty ass conditions and make the toughest slope at Cannon on days. Right Cannonball!!!!

The other is the High Country double at WV, not for speed but for the feel like you are going to fall of the whole way up if the safety is not down.

I haven't ridden most of the chairlifts mentioned in this thread but I cannot imagine they require more skill to use than any random surface lift. Maybe one of those conveyer belt loaders. Or something with a midstation. Or the south ridge triple. Does it count if it no longer exists?

Tin

Red or Black at Magic. Both just over 1400' and little/no run out if you ski both liftlines down.

boston_e

Why is a bit of a run out such a bad thing? I actually like it to relax the legs for a couple of minutes after hitting the steeper stuff hard.

What would not make the list (run out or not) is the summit quad at Pico. Nothing worth skiing there. Don't bother checking any of that out at all.

machski

Note, must have a few expert runs off chairlift must have at least 1400+ vertical, can't have a long run-out.

North Peak Express, Loon Mtn
Heaven Gate, Sugarbush
Castlerock, Sugarbush
Madona, Smuggs
single chair, MRG

please add, comment.

In my opinion, Heavens Gate, Madonna, Castlerock and North Peak Express all need to get tossed due to runout. Sorry, stretching an expert pod to 1400+ vertical in New England on a chair usually = runout. Skyline at SL doesn't have much so that is good. I think at Loon I'd put the Lincoln Express before North Peak, less flat runout off the experts in my opinion. I'd disqualify the Forerunner at Stowe too. Far too much runout. Heck, all their black/double blacks get changed to blue for the lower third to boot (not saying the terrain on the top isn't great, but this arbitrary vert and runout conditions kill it).

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was no expert skiing at Wildcat this year. That's why I didn't mention it!!!

Normal year, yes some good terrain with the liftlines, Hairball, Al's ect, but it's also not continuous. The goods are there at Wildcat, they just are fragmented and in shorter bursts unlike some of the other options mentioned here.

Savemeasammy

this arbitrary vert and runout conditions kill it).

True story. Does a runout diminish the quality of the terrain you just skied?

Sometimes "run outs" still allow for enjoyable skiing. M1 is a great example. Sure, the bottom is not steep, but there are plenty of places to duck into the trees to keep things fun.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone