• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Percentage of Injuries

4aprice

Playing slightly off the drop in skier visits this season, the stat I would be interested in seeing (and I don't know if it could be figured out) is the percentage of injuries incurred in a season such as this past one compared to say last season with a lot of snow. Some people (probably some here) took some hard shots off of hard surfaces this year. I wonder if the injury percentage increased with the lack of snow. I know I stayed away when conditions were marginal.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Not a percentage but I know more people that got ACL tears this season than ever before. Funny part, everyone got the tears our west.

cdskier

My dad caught a rut on a groomer, spun around, flipped over, and slammed his ankle into the ground in February. It was swollen and sore for a while and he didn't ski the rest of the season after that.

Rikka

Slap tear in left shoulder mid February on an awkward fall.... That ended ski season .... In the midst of if PT......,,,

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
No injuries but a broken ski and 3 binding releases. Went three years without an eject and only once last year but this year things were a lot firmer . I didn't get out as much this year , I try for quality vs quantity most years. Ill bet the Poconos were in better shape this season vs New England just not as much acreage to cover .They did dress things up a lot but underlying base was concrete.

Are resorts required to report injury stats ? I would think they would hide behind HIPA on that ? Or say a certain trail has a lot of accidents in one spot , sounds like a legal problem if info gets out?

JimG.

Staff member
No injuries but I forgot how unforgiving manmade snow can be when there is zero natural.

The season just seemed to wear on me by the end.

Cannonball

Our small circle of skiers at Cannon suffered: Broken shoulder (mentioned above), 2 ACL tears, 2 broken thumbs, major thigh bruise, and some other painful but non-reportable impacts. I bailed early many days because I felt like conditions would lead to injury. So it's anecdotal but I'd say this past season was WAY high on the injury scale.

Domeskier

I nearly broke my thumb adjusting my bindings the other week. I'm a little ashamed to admit that it wasn't the first time, either. Those Look Pivots are out to get me.

benski

I know at sugarbush the quantity of injuries are not effected significantly by conditions but the injuries tend to be more severe when it's the conditions are worse.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

My guess is was pretty close to usual. Even though aggregate number of skier visits were down, the other factor is also a decrease on any given day of acres available to spread people out over, so what I experienced often this year is that on hill skier/rider density seemed greater even though liftlines were shorter, and anecdotally at least the more folks on the same hill the greater the chance for injury, and it felt like I saw an average number of ski patrol sleds bringing folks down this season