• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The skiing dilemma

dlague

How do you all deal with late season skiing when your family really no longer wants to go or are half hearted about going?

I become miserable and some what depressed. I also go into work mode and make sure everyone does the same.

Considered going alone but that seems selfish.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wife doesn't ski. Son too young to ski. I typically ski one day per weekend and spend the other with the family. Powder and great weather being the exceptions. That's why I only ski 20-30 days a season. If I was single, I'd ski close to every day off I have all winter and get many more days in.

D - you moved to Colorado to ski. If your family wants to hang it up for the season that's fine. I don't think it would be selfish of you at all to ski one day a weekend until ABasin closes for the year.

drjeff

I go into golfing and cycling mode (2 other sports I enjoy almost as much as skiing) and their season pretty much takes me right back to the start of the next ski season

machski

My wife skis but not as often as I can get out since she has a mon-fri job and I do not (very untraditional schedule to my job). I try to ski midweek day trips and ski the weekends with her. But some of my available weekends, she is not or has other interests. So I try to ski midweek overnights and spend prime weekends (ughh) off snow with her. Late season, I typically pray for good spring weather on Friday for Killington so as to not need to leave her on the weekends.

Hawkshot99

If she doesn't want to ski, that's fine, doesn't mean you can't ski. You need to use this approach with moderation though.

abc

I become miserable and some what depressed. I also go into work mode and make sure everyone does the same.

Considered going alone but that seems selfish.
It's not selfish. It's essential for mental health.

If my spouse feels depressed and miserable, I'd rather he be out of the house! (and not come back till he's happier).

Now if that's so frequent that we don't get to see each other much, then it's time to have a heart to heart talk about it.

dlague

Well it is really my 13 year old that did not want to go and my wife not being comfortable leaving him alone in a new town for too long. She wanted to go.

When I told him that he was not going to be playing videos games he turned around and said that he wanted to go skiing. Too late though since it was 11.

Last edited:

4aprice

I would only say that this spring has been spectacular and you may not see one like it for a while so you may want to take advantage of it. Funny I consider it a seasonal thing for me so I see it from both sides, but I only got 20 days total this year which didn't feel like a full compliment (approx 1/2 what I usually ski) so I could see myself being ready to head up there. There have been many seasons when by the end, (approx April 15th for me) I was ready for it to end.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
How do you all deal with late season skiing when your family really no longer wants to go or are half hearted about going?

1. Formulate my plan in advance

2. Try to be an extra good father and husband all week long. :)

3. Don't even bring up my pending escape until Weds PM.

4. ACCEPT NO. If my wife REALLY doesn't want me to go I don't. Giving in, greatly improves my percentage of success.

The older I (we) get the more my wife accepts my obsession.

JimG.

Staff member
My wife does not mind cold but hates driving in snow. She thought she would enjoy a winter without it.

A few days ago she admitted that she will never again pray for no snow. Her allergies were really kicking early on this spring, worse than ever. And the ticks are out of control. And she sees it puts me in a funk.

So no more praying for no snow. She never had any issue with me skiing alone. I stay flexible and like Harvey said I don't question it when I'm told it's important for me to stay home. That rarely happens.

boston_e

I go a little bit less often and I also start to get involved in the spring / summertime activities.

jimk

Agree with the others that you shouldn't feel bad about going alone a few times before A-Basin closes. But don't tick-off your wife who seems to be generally supportive. If you haven't developed some local ski friends yet from work or neighborhood you can use various online ski forums to do that. If you connect with new ski buddies on the solo days it will be fun and likely lead to lasting partners for future ski outings, just include family and esp wife whenever possible so they stay in the game and don't feel resentful.

JDMRoma

It's not selfish. It's essential for mental health.

This is it exactly!! Mental well being !

If I don't ski and I know the conditions are Great I go Insane... Better off going then dealing with my mood swing !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

This is it exactly!! Mental well being !

If I don't ski and I know the conditions are Great I go Insane... Better off going then dealing with my mood swing !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

My family hates my mood swing when we do not go!