• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The skiing dilemma

raisingarizona

Do you spend every day with your family? that seems weird to me, in my family we like to have days to ourselves. We would all go nuts if we were together 24-7.

snowmonster

When I was still up in New England, most of my friends called it quits as soon as March rolled around. I usually didn't hang it up until the last bit of skiable stuff had been skied in tux -- usually in mid June. So, from March to June, I usually skied solo even in the backcountry (not advisable). Funny thing is, I made some great friends on the trail and they were usually my ski buddies during the spring months. You never know who you'll meet on the boot pack. Us die hard skiers need to stick together.

witch hobble

The skiing dilemna: should I bother getting married and starting a family if there is a chance these people won't enjoy the thing that I enjoy as much as I enjoy it?

dlague

The skiing dilemna: should I bother getting married and starting a family if there is a chance these people won't enjoy the thing that I enjoy as much as I enjoy it?

Well in my first marriage my ex did not ski. I went skiing several times without her and eventually started being problematic. Went many years not skiing. Then had a child and at 3 put him in lessons. I started skiing more again and when it was problematic - divorce. Now skiing was not the only reason but was one of them. Remarried to someone interested in learning and 16 years later she is into it and skis most everything I do and this weekend she will be skiing with me or I with her.

So .....

witch hobble

I was being silly and gently existential.

For the record: Wife - really fair weather skier. Didn't grow up skiing. Puts in a couple days a month like a trooper, even though kids passed her by years ago. She had pretty shitty luck with regards to conditions on days she made it out this year.

Kids are solid skiers, but they also enjoy all the trappings of adolescence: sleeping in, sleepovers with friends (who may or not be skiers), birthday parties, homework, smart phone zombie time.

Spring sports normally shut down their season in the end of March, gladly for the wife but bittersweet for the children. We normally have a family skip day for a day of spring skiing but never locked down a day with the right weather/lack of obligation ratio this year.

I try to take the zen approach and think that they have a lifetime of potential spring skiing days ahead of them, but most likely won't be playing organized soccer and lax for too much longer, relative to lifespan.

In the words of Kurt Vonnegut: so it goes.

SIKSKIER

Kurt Vonnegut....Had to google that name.Shame on me.I like this quote from him:"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different".

Highway Star

I gave up some time in March this year, and started biking, though I did get few more days in April. I can only tolerate ice for so long

NHSkier13

believe me, I'd take every chance I get till it's down to just a few trails left at most major areas. But that's a lot of money and driving... ;-;
Usually end season 1st week or two of april. But, this year, 1st week of march :eek: