• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Helmet Law - New York ?

Riverskier

No problem with this. I won't get specific, as to avoid getting overly political, but I don't support ANY laws protecting me from myself. However, anyone can have kids... and I don't have a problem with laws aimed to protect them until they are 18.

skiNEwhere

So I guess14 is the age the state assumes a normal kid can make reasonable, sound decisions on their own? Just seems kind of arbitrary

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe choosing 14 is about ease of enforcement at the ski areas. At that age a ski resort employee can give someone a quick glance and make a reasonable determination that they're still a kid. As opposed to say 18 when age becomes more difficult to determine by a quick glance.

HowieT2

No problem with this. I won't get specific, as to avoid getting overly political, but I don't support ANY laws protecting me from myself. However, anyone can have kids... and I don't have a problem with laws aimed to protect them until they are 18.

I used to be of this mind set, specifically when I started driving and seat belt laws were coming in to effect. I felt as you do, that its my body and I'll decide the risks I want to take. I disagree now, though. no one used to wear seat belts. now everyone does because of those laws. countless lives have been saved in the process and at little to no cost. why?because the law got everyone in the habit of reflexively putting the seat belt on. people make stupid irrational decisions or are just lazy. The helmet doesnt only protect your head. the individual is not the only one effected by the decision to not wear a helmet. If a crash happens, ski patrol has to pick up the pieces of your skull. EMT's have to tend your brain oozing out. a heli crew has to fly to a hospital. The mountain has to deal with your demise and possibly litigation to follow. the whole sport suffers bad publicity when a skier is tragically killed.
wearing a helmet is no big deal. if one life is saved, one injury prevented, its worth it.

drjeff

Maybe choosing 14 is about ease of enforcement at the ski areas. At that age a ski resort employee can give someone a quick glance and make a reasonable determination that they're still a kid. As opposed to say 18 when age becomes more difficult to determine by a quick glance.

There's a bunch of ski areas that use age 14 as the transition age from a "junior" ticket to a "young adult" ticket

Would make a check easy if anyone with a "junior" ticket had to have a helmet on

HowieT2

Just another law that won't be enforced. Plenty of them on the books. Makes the political hacks feel like they've done something though.

These laws don't come out of nowhere. I doubt some representative thought of this and pushed it through. More likely the ski resorts and or helmet manufacturers are behind this.

cdskier

These laws don't come out of nowhere. I doubt some representative thought of this and pushed it through. More likely the ski resorts and or helmet manufacturers are behind this.

Or a representative had a personal experience with a kid that got hurt not wearing a helmet. Could have just been a minor injury that simply served as a wake up call.

gmcunni

in America... kid who's parents don't put a helmet on his head gets hurt @ NY ski resort. Parents sue state AND resort for negligence since they didn't stop the kid from skiing.

(NOTE -
Under the bill, the parents or guardian of a child caught skiing without a helmet could be fined $50, but law enforcement authorities could only issue a ticket if the violation occurs in the parents or guardian's presence.
)

BenedictGomez

Just another law that won't be enforced. Plenty of them on the books. Makes the political hacks feel like they've done something though.

Yup. New York State troopers aren't going to be spending a lot of time patrolling Gore on skis looking for un-helmeted 12 year olds.

abc

I happen to think it's a useful law.

I disagree with those who said the law was aimed at punishing parents. Like kids on bike, they're not always within sight of their parents.

Having it on the book allows resorts to enforce the helmet requirement (if they so wish, I believe some wish to). That would be helpful given how often kids of 10 and over ski with their friends rather than with their parents.

Edd

No it doesn't, they could already do so if they wish.

Maybe ski area A would be gun shy about instituting a helmet requirement if ski area B up the road doesn't also. Competitive disadvantage.

A law would level the field, at least within state lines.