• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Helmet Law - New York ?

drjeff

According to NewYorkUpstate.com, the New York State Senate just passed a bill that would mandate helmet use at New York ski areas for anyone under the age of 14.

And I'm guessing as a fellow father with a daughter who sustained a concussion while skiing and helmeted, that you as well are as much in positive support of this law that the NYS Legislature apparently passed as I am! +1 (and thank god for helmets and daughters (and sons too!) who enjoy skiing! :) )

cdskier

Well no one in my family is under 14 so who cares.

This is a forum to talk about skiing related topics, isn't it?

Doesn't personally impact me either, but I'm perfectly ok with a topic bringing it up for discussion. Sounds like a perfectly good idea to make this a requirement in my book.

benski

I think a parent letting letting a 13 year old not wear a helmet is irresponsible since the kid likely does not understand the risks of not wearing one. It's more about requiring parents to be responsible than telling people how to make personal decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think a parent letting letting a 13 year old not wear a helmet is irresponsible since the kid likely does not understand the risks of not wearing one. It's more about requiring parents to be responsible than telling people how to make personal decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

+1

Even though many of us survived our childhoods and often much of adulthood without wearing helmets, I have no issue with requiring them for young people today. The technology and comfort wasn't around back then. It's about making better choices and adopting to modern times.

cdskier

Exactly. If this was a requirement for people of all ages, then I'd agree with ss and steamboat. Kids are not mature enough to be empowered to make the decision for themselves however. Some parents also may not be skiers and may not fully understand the risk either. This being a law also gives parents more "ammunition" for when their kids don't want to listen about wearing a helmet.

witch hobble

It seems weird with this law that you become mature enough to make the decision for yourself at age 14, which I don't remember being my own most rational, mature age.

gmcunni

It seems weird with this law that you become mature enough to make the decision for yourself at age 14, which I don't remember being my own most rational, mature age.

if you click the link it mentioned that while the senate had passed the bill it still had to go the assembly for a vote and there was comment that they felt 14 was too young, that the law should be 18 and under.

personally i am a strong advocate for helmets but troubled that we have to enact laws requiring it. won't be surprised to see resorts, rather than laws, requiring it soon as a requirement from their insurance carriers.

steamboat1

if you click the link it mentioned that while the senate had passed the bill it still had to go the assembly for a vote and there was comment that they felt 14 was too young, that the law should be 18 and under.
New York already has a law requiring those 14 & under to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle. This law is shaped after that. You can drive a car at age 16 in NY. Should those drivers be required to wear a helmet till they are over 18?

Last edited:

dlague

I am not sure how many kids below 14 do not wear a helmet. Percentage wise the kids not wearing vs wearing has to be very low. So the bill is not a big deal. We had our kids wear helmets and as adults they continue to wear them. We wear helmets as well so they think nothing of it. I do see some young park rats with helmets but not buckled or tilted way back on their head, at that point it seems more like a fashion statement.

Jully

personally i am a strong advocate for helmets but troubled that we have to enact laws requiring it. won't be surprised to see resorts, rather than laws, requiring it soon as a requirement from their insurance carriers.

I thought some resorts already did? Or was that just for resort employees when skiing?

Domeskier

I wish there had been a helmet law back when I was a kid doing reckless things on bicycles. Apparently you won't know until your dead whether those old head injuries and concussions are going to catch up with you. It's a lot easier to wear a helmet when you're twelve if you and all your stupid friends are forced to.