• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post ACL Replacement - brace or no brace?

dlague

I tore my ACL 5 years ago. Since then I have continued to wear a hard brace. However this past weekend I forgot mine at home and skied without it. At first taking it easy but feeling comfortable I started going off kickers and was having a blast. It was somewhat liberating. I will probably continue to ski with the brace but it seemed nice to ski without it.

Has anyone else had this surgery and now skis without a brace or do you continue to use one?

MMP

No brace. Repaired April 2015. 30 or so days this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

steamboat1

Tore my ACL in 2013, no surgery. I still wear a hard brace out of precaution only when skiing. Really don't even notice I'm wearing it so what the heck. Could I do without it? Probably but I do favor my uninjured knee. If at some time it prevents further injury it's worth it. Yes I do feel my knee is injured sometimes., mostly when at rest not when active.

Edd

I wore a brace for 2 seasons post injury. I just got sick of them and stopped. No issues for the last 3 seasons. I am a more cautious skier than I used to be.

1989, wore brace for 1 year. Then i realized it was always too low anyhow. No brace, very liberating. Have not looked back

Cornhead

ACL reconstructed in my right knee, patella graft. I didn't ski when I tore, and then had my reconstruction surgery. I waited two years to have the surgery. I never wore a brace. After 20+ yrs of being my "bad knee", my right knee is now my "good knee". I injured my left knee skiing, the pain is on the inside of the knee, MCL? That is the one bright spot of this shitty season, I skied about half the days of last season. Despite gaining weight, both knees feel much better than at this time last year. Good luck!

Puck it

I have been back in the brace for a couple of years ago since the replacement has loosened up per my ortho. I am picking up my new Townsend brace tomorrow to replace the CTI.

JimG.

Staff member
Had my right ACL and PCL transplanted in 2001. Was skiing again 01-02. Per my ortho I wear my brace skiing.

dlague

I do have to admit - was skiing a bumped out section and over lapped tips for a second and fought it in a panic state and recovered but first thoughts we going through my head regarding having no brace. I think it is a pacifier/false safety net at this point.

HowieT2

tore left acl in march 2011. reconstructive surgery that May. wore brace for the 1st month of the following season, not since. no issues skiing, mtn biking or anything else.

Puck it

I was 12 years without having to use the brace after surgery and felt fine until the latest bone bruise form the bone on bone.

Riverskier

ACL replacements in 1997 and 2004, never wore a brace, and was back on snow in 5 months both times... Tore one again 3 years ago, opted not to have it fixed, and do wear a brace on that leg now. Over 100 days and no problems yet...

wa-loaf

ACL in 2008, wore the brace for a season and haven't since.

Domeskier

I'm a bit interested in doing a poll on how many AZ regulars haven't torn their ACLs...

ski&soccermom

I tore my ACL in 2011, had surgery, and still ski with a brace. I prefer the security blanket and it is comfortable. I don't wear it for other sports though. My surgeon said that the benefit of it is probably minimal (psychosomatic!), but I feel that the awareness it provides can help prevent re-tears... I did ski one day without it this past winter (same situation as dlague - I forgot it). It felt strange to ski without it!

dlague

I tore my ACL in 2011, had surgery, and still ski with a brace. I prefer the security blanket and it is comfortable. I don't wear it for other sports though. My surgeon said that the benefit of it is probably minimal (psychosomatic!), but I feel that the awareness it provides can help prevent re-tears... I did ski one day without it this past winter (same situation as dlague - I forgot it). It felt strange to ski without it!

I have worn my brace for about five years for the same reason. I played tennis a year after the replacement and it felt weird and as a result stopped. However, recently I started back up and used my brace and it felt real good. So far that is the only non winter sport where I use it.

Hawkshot99

Tore the acl in Jan of 08. Had the knee rebuilt in March. Doc said no brace was needed. I tried skiing like that but was very uncomfortable. I still wear a brace at all times to this point (only when skiing). I can ski without the brace, but the leg tires out afyer a few runs.

wa-loaf

Tore the acl in Jan of 08. Had the knee rebuilt in March. Doc said no brace was needed. I tried skiing like that but was very uncomfortable. I still wear a brace at all times to this point (only when skiing). I can ski without the brace, but the leg tires out afyer a few runs.

Sounds like the stabilizing muscles are weak from wearing the brace too much. Cutting back on the brace might be beneficial for you in the long run?