New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 133
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I disagree. Kids have so much going on in the summer already. It'll be a hard sell.
    Weekly summer programs? Maybe not, however as a day trip from summer camps? That I can easily see.

    A "rainy day" event when the beaches aren't an option? Yup



    With such a massive population base within the immediate geographical area, the potential to have this become a different part of already established youth programs that have the ability to readily bring a few bus loads of kids is there for sure
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,159
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Seriously? You guys actually pay that? Ouch. I am surprised the voters allow such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The non-payers outnumber the payers.
    I confess I'm a "non-payer", of bridge tolls.

    Although I have a place in the city, my car is in Westchester. The last time the car was in the city was March, and before that 2015!

    The voters, which I'm one, had traditionally approved to use the bridge toll to subsidize the public transport system. AAA, which believes they represent the DRIVING public, had always objected to that. But the last time the subway workers went on strike, we got a glimpse of what the traffic was like had there been no public transport. Same when Metro North shutdown due to track fire.

    So make no mistake, the bridge tolls are high to specifically discourage driving into the city. Long Islanders are caught in the middle. They had to cut through the city to go anywhere! That's why, even though I quite like LI (lived there for 2 years), I opted to stage myself in Westchester in the end.

    Even when I was living full time in the city and kept my car in the city, I almost never go to Jersey. It's mostly north to Westchester (skiing, cycling, kayaking) or east to Long Island (beaches). So I really was never a "payer" of bridge tolls. (I do remember a time very long ago when bridge tolls were low enough I drove to Jersey shopping for lower price goods! But now the bridge toll makes those shopping trips entirely unsustainable. Not to mention these days nobody "go shopping" any more, everything is available online)

  3. #33
    Why aren't the tolls outrageous coming and going from CT? I don't recall it being expensive when I traveled from Norwich to the East side of Manhattan. I forget the route, but I was fairly shocked with how light the traffic was compared to what I deal with in Boston 2-3 days a week.

    I go over the Tobin bridge when I travel to Boston. It's currently $2.50 to get in and $0 to leave. They are about to switch it to $1.25 each way. It will make the commute in a bit worse because 93 is free and I'm sure some use it to save a couple bucks a day. Maybe the commute out will lighten slightly.

    If I never had to travel in Massachusetts M-F again, sign me up. Rush hour is like 6:30-10 and 2-7 these days. Love Boston, but only on Saturday and Sunday.

  4. #34
    I and many others have spent many a contented hour lapping this (just in case the Xanadu folks stumble upon this thread and need ideas):

    2015-05-29_21_21_00.jpg

    2015-04-25_21_04_15.jpg

    2015-05-06_21_20_21.jpg

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Why aren't the tolls outrageous coming and going from CT? I don't recall it being expensive when I traveled from Norwich to the East side of Manhattan. I forget the route, but I was fairly shocked with how light the traffic was compared to what I deal with in Boston 2-3 days a week.

    I go over the Tobin bridge when I travel to Boston. It's currently $2.50 to get in and $0 to leave. They are about to switch it to $1.25 each way. It will make the commute in a bit worse because 93 is free and I'm sure some use it to save a couple bucks a day. Maybe the commute out will lighten slightly.

    If I never had to travel in Massachusetts M-F again, sign me up. Rush hour is like 6:30-10 and 2-7 these days. Love Boston, but only on Saturday and Sunday.
    Perhaps because Connecticut has no tolls. In contrast, you pay a toll to back out of your driveway in Nee Jersey. The tolls across a state border are a two sided problem.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

    Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

  6. #36
    I was more thinking in NY, whatever the access was I used that dumped me on the highway along the east side. Can't remember what the roads were

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Perhaps because Connecticut has no tolls.
    Is that right? Wow, I'm sure that will be the most shocking fact I learn this week.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #38
    steamboat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY/Pittsford,VT.
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I was more thinking in NY, whatever the access was I used that dumped me on the highway along the east side. Can't remember what the roads were
    Most of the crossings over the East River have no tolls. Triboro Bridge & Battery Tunnel would be the exceptions.

  9. #39
    That would irk me if I lived on Long Island. Locals have to pay, but all the CT commuters get a free ride.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Is that right? Wow, I'm sure that will be the most shocking fact I learn this week.
    Fascinating...

    After a 1983 truck crash that killed 7 people at the Stratford toll plaza, toll opponents pressured the State of Connecticut to remove tolls from the Turnpike in 1985. Three years later, these same opponents successfully lobbied the Connecticut General Assembly to pass legislation abolishing tolls on all of Connecticut's highways (with the exception of two car ferries across the Connecticut River in Chester and Glastonbury). While the 1983 Stratford accident was cited as the main reason for abolishing tolls in Connecticut, the underlying reason was the fact that federal legislation at that time forbade states with toll roads from using federal funds for road projects. Because the Mianus River Bridge was rebuilt with federal highway funds following its June 1983 collapse, Connecticut was required by Section 113(c) of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 to remove tolls from the Turnpike once its construction bonds were paid off

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:11 PM.