New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Perhaps because Connecticut has no tolls. In contrast, you pay a toll to back out of your driveway in Nee Jersey. The tolls across a state border are a two sided problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Is that right? Wow, I'm sure that will be the most shocking fact I learn this week.
    CT is toll free for now..... Considering that we keep having a deeper and deeper budget deficits and they've managed to tax GE out of CT (and likely Aetna soon as well), the cries to put some tolls up to capture some additional revenue to add to the general fund (we all know that even though they say it will go to the highway budget that most will end up in the general fund ) get louder and louder as time goes on.....

'07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    That would irk me if I lived on Long Island. Locals have to pay, but all the CT commuters get a free ride.
    There are free ways to get into Manhattan from LI. I'm in Brooklyn which if you didn't know is part of LI. I don't need to take any bridges to get to LI. Same thing getting to NJ, there are toll free ways. Problem is there's no way to get back from NJ without paying a toll that I'm aware of. Unless maybe I drive to CT from NJ.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Jun 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Problem is there's no way to get back from NJ without paying a toll that I'm aware of. Unless maybe I drive to CT from NJ.
    I don't think that would help...to get to CT from NJ means going through NY and crossing the Hudson at some point which means a toll (unless you go way up north to cross the Hudson, but by that point you've spent much more in gas than the cost of the toll and wasted a tremendous amount of time)

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I don't think that would help...to get to CT from NJ means going through NY and crossing the Hudson at some point which means a toll (unless you go way up north to cross the Hudson, but by that point you've spent much more in gas than the cost of the toll and wasted a tremendous amount of time)
    Looks like the first free bridge would be the Dunn Memorial Bridge in Albany.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    CT is toll free for now..... Considering that we keep having a deeper and deeper budget deficits and they've managed to tax GE out of CT (and likely Aetna soon as well), the cries to put some tolls up to capture some additional revenue to add to the general fund (we all know that even though they say it will go to the highway budget that most will end up in the general fund ) get louder and louder as time goes on.....
    It's amazing such a tiny state can have a > $1B deficit. And roughly half the states in America have deficits.

Someday this piper will be paid.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    Looks like the first free bridge would be the Dunn Memorial Bridge in Albany.
    If you don't want to pay the $15 toll the Tappan Zee is $5 & Bear Mountain bridge is $1.50 so it's probably not worth driving all the way to Albany. The bus from Port Authority to East Rutherford, NJ is $4.50 each way. Train from Penn Station when running is $5.50 one way

It's amazing such a tiny state can have a > $1B deficit. And roughly half the states in America have deficits.

Holy sh1t. I got to paid attention driving through the state. I figure speed traps will spike up once the state legislation decides they can't print their own money.
    I rather be @ss noodling

Quote Originally Posted by nycskier View Post
    If you don't want to pay the $15 toll the Tappan Zee is $5 & Bear Mountain bridge is $1.50 so it's probably not worth driving all the way to Albany. The bus from Port Authority to East Rutherford, NJ is $4.50 each way. Train from Penn Station when running is $5.50 one way
    Kind of surprise TZ is still $5, that's the gateway to east NJ/ PA. On a tangent, I've been on I80 all the way to Chicago,in some states a two axles easily will go $15.
    I rather be @ss noodling

Quote Originally Posted by jack97 View Post
    Kind of surprise TZ is still $5, that's the gateway to east NJ/ PA. On a tangent, I've been on I80 all the way to Chicago,in some states a two axles easily will go $15.
    I'm sure that will change when the replacement bridge opens.

And that's AFTER tax increases of roughly 2.5 BILLION over the last 2 years!!

When you've got a state gov't who have been on a spending spree for about a decade seemingly thinking that the majority of tax payers in CT are making the kind of incomes that a small number of hedge fund folks who live in the greater Greenwich/Stanford area are, when in reality 99% of state residents aren't, combined with general exodus of businesses due to a poor business climate within CT, that's how you get a BILLION dollar deficit in a small state
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Thread Information