• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017?

nycskier

Looks like this might finally be happening. The failed Xanadu mall has been renamed "American Dream". Snow Operating has been picked to run the indoor ski slope with the hopes of opening in 2017. The indoor slope is already built and has been sitting vacant and never used for about 8 years. If it ever opens it will be a 180,000 square foot 12 story indoor ski facility that will be open 365 days a year.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20..._park_gets_big_name_to_run_indoor_resort.html

Here's a video of what it looks like from the inside from 2009:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGa_cGpbWTE

I'd actually be pretty excited if this thing ever gets open. It would be the perfect place to teach kids how to ski. Its near NYC so no big travel is necessary, the weather is always perfect and the slope just right and just small enough for learning. If it opens next summer my kids would be 5 and 3 by then. We could get some really good practice in during the summer and fall and get their skills to be good enough to do some real skiing in the winter at places bigger than Campgaw and Mount Peter!

Domeskier

If they seed some bumps in there, I will never have to suffer the indignity of skiing outdoors again.

JimG.

Staff member
I've said it before.

If it ever opens I would get a pass and ski at least 1x per week in the "off-season".

cdskier

I've said it before.

If it ever opens I would get a pass and ski at least 1x per week in the "off-season".

Hah...I live 5 minutes from there and still wouldn't do that...

ironhippy

that's interesting, i wonder if it'll work out financially.

If I had one of those 5 minutes away, I would get a pass too.

Luckily I don't live anywhere near the amount of people needed to sustain something like that.

Domeskier

The dome I sometimes ski at in Korea used to have seeded bumps and a park setup in the off-season and you'd see quite a few good mogul skiers there on any given day. I'm told this off-season they didn't even blow snow on the upper portion where the bumps normally go and that they've added more snow tubing lanes to cater to group tours from China. Hopefully Xanadu will get a critical mass of advanced skiers so that bumps and jumps will make sense at least part of the year.

nycskier

I doubt they will bump up the dome. Too much insurance liability. Maybe you get a few small jumps and some rails. Most likely NJ dome will cater to kids and beginners. Also it could be a great place to demo skis before you buy. There will certainly be a ski shop attached to it in the mall.

yeggous

$16 for VZ & $15 for GB cash. Do you think they'll be charging more for a couple of hour session in the dome?

Seriously? You guys actually pay that? Ouch. I am surprised the voters allow such a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

I doubt they will bump up the dome. Too much insurance liability. Maybe you get a few small jumps and some rails.

I'm sure that jumps and rails cause way more injuries than low-angle seeded bump runs, but you may be right. Alternative is to get a group and ski the same line over and over again until natural bumps form.

Funky_Catskills

I got bored very fast at the dome in Dubai...
Like a few runs only...

But you can't drink there - would've been better after a few drinks... hahahah

steamboat1

Only a fool. would get to the Meadowlands from Brooklyn via The Rock - ;-), Brooklyn Bridge to the Lincoln Tunnel - FREE
$15 to come back to NYC through the tunnel though. GWB same thing, free outbound, $15 to come back. Lets not forget the NJ Turnpike tolls either, they charge both ways.

Last edited:

benski

I doubt they will bump up the dome. Too much insurance liability. Maybe you get a few small jumps and some rails. Most likely NJ dome will cater to kids and beginners. Also it could be a great place to demo skis before you buy. There will certainly be a ski shop attached to it in the mall.
I don't know how bumps increase liability. You can't sue them for falling in bumps and getting hurt. Bumps are probably much safer than groomers.

Jully

I don't know how bumps increase liability. You can't sue them for falling in bumps and getting hurt. Bumps are probably much safer than groomers.

Oh but you can. That's the beauty of America! Everyone remember the hot coffee McDonald's case? I don't see how that's much different than this in terms of the level of stupidity. I also think that it might be different than a ski resort because it'll attract potentially a much different demographic.

Good point about groomers though.