• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017?

JimG.

Staff member
I use the Mid-Hudson (FDR) bridge then any point west or south.
Cost is $1.50 eastbound only.
One advantage of living in Dutchess County.

BenedictGomez

And that's AFTER tax increases of roughly 2.5 BILLION over the last 2 years!!

When you've got a state gov't who have been on a spending spree for about a decade seemingly thinking that the majority of tax payers in CT are making the kind of incomes that a small number of hedge fund folks who live in the greater Greenwich/Stanford area are, when in reality 99% of state residents aren't, combined with general exodus of businesses due to a poor business climate within CT, that's how you get a BILLION dollar deficit in a small state :mad:

Same with Jersey.

In fact (and this is great), the richest person in New Jersey got fed up and moved last month, to Florida where they have low taxes and no income tax. Dude's taxes are so high that State of New Jersey's budget crew had to have an emergency meeting in Trenton because it created a hole in the budget for next year.

http://time.com/money/4283499/new-jersey-state-taxes-david-tepper/

Seems Ct and NJ are equally bad just in different ways. I mean after all you would think some of our NJ cities would offer full life time pensions to beach life guards (a 2 1/2 month job) and go bankrupt, oh wait, they did. I know maybe we can sell Marijuana just in that city and it will magically be revived. I mean the intelligence coming out of Trenton is mind blowing. Ct want to go toe to toe with "Jerzee" chasing away business? I bet we are way in the lead. We'll just raise the gas tax and kill what ever other incentives exist to keep decent people here. Of course the environmental people (Sierra Club) and Public Worker Unions have been urging our pols to jack up them taxes. If the politicians don't get you there are now these dime sized jelly fish whose sting can cause kidney failure down at the shore. That will teach those bennies a lesson. God, I hope we don't get overrun at the lake. I'm counting the days till I can leave.

Looking to leave too, just dont know where. It's a shame because Jersey is beautiful and I was born here, I was raised here, and I wouldn't want to leave if the politicians weren't destroying the place, as well as taxing the middle class into slavery. And it's a weird thing thinking about leaving your home. Western Virginia is nice country with mountains, though the job market might be tough. I've never been to Montana, Wyoming or Idaha, those places have skiing, wilderness, and freedom. The woman absolutely fell in love with Utah, really great place with low taxes and freedom, but it doesnt seem like it's easy to own much land. I'll have a big decision to make 3 to 5 years from now. Where are you "fleeing" to?

NJ pols can do as they please.

Yup. Zero fear of losing elections, so they're bulletproof to do as they wish.

x10003q

Same with Jersey.

In fact (and this is great), the richest person in New Jersey got fed up and moved last month, to Florida where they have low taxes and no income tax. Dude's taxes are so high that State of New Jersey's budget crew had to have an emergency meeting in Trenton because it created a hole in the budget for next year.

http://time.com/money/4283499/new-jersey-state-taxes-david-tepper/

While the tax rate plays a factor, the driving force is having to report all deferred offshore income in 2017 because of Federal tax changes in 2008.

"The issue is that hedge fund partners like Mr. Tepper will soon have to report the compensation they have in tax-deferred, offshore accounts, and pay federal and state income taxes on it. In 2008, Congress blocked hedge funds with overseas operations from sheltering partner compensation going forward — but allowed income already parked offshore to remain untaxed through 2017."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/opinion/sunday/when-the-billionaire-next-door-moves-out.html?_r=0

JimG.

Staff member
I've skied Fahnestock, trails & base lodge are still clearly visible off the Taconic.

I remember going there with my parents when I was like 9 or 10.

Going back to bridges I also use the Newburgh/Beacon bridge which is where you can see Beacon Mtn as you are heading east; also $1.50 eastbound only.

steamboat1

Went to NJ yesterday for a wedding reception. Church ceremony was in Staten Island so I had to use the Verrazano bridge to get there (toll). The wedding reception was in Jersey City (Liberty State Park), two tolls to get there from Staten Island. Then another two tolls to get home to Brooklyn from Jersey City. I have no idea what my total cost for the five tolls was since I use EZ-Pass but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

loafer89

I take the ferry and never drive though the city. The ferry is worse as it costs me 70+ one way!

I'll give you credit, you have 10 days more than I do and do the commute from the East End of Long Island. I live 35 minutes away from skiing, but this last season was horrible for local skiing.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I'll give you credit, you have 10 days more than I do and do the commute from the East End of Long Island. I live 35 minutes away from skiing, but this last season was horrible for local skiing.

It's a commitment no doubt....owning a condo at Killington helps with the amount of days I can get in.

loafer89

Being close to skiing gives me more flexibility to pick and choose good ski days/nights during a bad season like this past one. Next year will probably be 30-40 days with my Peak Pass. Mount Snow looks to be my home mountain for next season.

loafer89

Toll free skiing in VT/NH for me is one reason we don't go to Maine that often, it's about $15.00 in tolls to go to Sugarloaf from where I live, not much by NYC standards, but it's still $$$.