• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips?

ScottySkis

Makes me more dehatrated then already am so no I much reefer perfect companion on hike.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

frapcap

We usually have light beer. Sure, its heavy and we usually don't drink it on the ascent. But once walking a ridge, that backpack starts to weigh a lot less.

bdfreetuna

Beer is a horrible weight/intoxication ratio, I've never even tried this.

Assuming this is real backpacking and not screwing around in the woods running around on boomers, I think weed is obviously the best choice. Far less physical impact the next day... decent chance of sleeping through the night uninterrupted.

Then smoke again when you first wake up and you won't mind skipping the water bottle shower.

How many birds can you kill with one "stone"?

TL;DR ... weed is for hiking, bring a few bourbon nips and some Unisom if sleep isn't your thing on the natural.

Serious answer ... if you can muster sobriety for 48 hours, you're a god among men.

kiliman

Only a hip flask with whiskey or brandy, for those cold nights after a rewarding jaunt.

Nick_arnesen

Gin I’d say is my new favorite that nice pine Flavourto keep with feeling outdoorsy. Usually only with camping tho hiking I try to stay light maybe a cigar to puff on

abc

None. No need.

Being in nature is intoxicating enough. No need for enhancers.

That said, when I used to backpack in the Sierra, in early summer when we were camping on snow, a small flask of whiskey does work wonders when added to hot chocolate as an after dinner desert drink. Warms to the core, in addition to fingers and toes.