Saddleback Mountain Cooperative - Information Thread & Survey

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Saddleback Mountain Cooperative - Information Thread & Survey

There is a significant effort underway to organize a Saddleback Mountain Cooperative - similar in structure to Mad River Glen.

The organizers of the Saddleback Co-op need to rapidly gauge interest in making Saddleback a skier owned mountain. This survey is open to everyone interested - including all the condo owners, local Rangeley area residents, business owners, and the general public. It's essential that they get as many responses as possible so they can truly understand if we can raise the capital needed to open for the 2016-2017 season and make Saddleback a viable, thriving skiing cooperative!

You can take the survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6M5NXGN

Feel free to discuss and share. I am not a direct organizer, but I would be happy to answer questions as best I can.

Would this be similar to the cooperative that got Big Tupper operating for a couple of seasons, while waiting for the owners to actually do something? Of course Saddleback people would be able to do much better because the lifts have not been out of service for 10 years, and the mountain gets enough snow to operate for much of the winter without snowmaking. Do they really hope to raise enough money to buy the whole property?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapnut View Post
    Would this be similar to the cooperative that got Big Tupper operating for a couple of seasons, while waiting for the owners to actually do something? Of course Saddleback people would be able to do much better because the lifts have not been out of service for 10 years, and the mountain gets enough snow to operate for much of the winter without snowmaking. Do they really hope to raise enough money to buy the whole property?
    As I understand it this is an "all-in" co-op meaning the intention is to buy the entire ski area and operate it under the co-op. It will be in chunks but the first chunk of money would be used to buy the ski area itself, then as more fundraising comes in buy other land and put under the cooperative umbrella.

Any word on what the Berry family thinks of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Any word on what the Berry family thinks of this?
    I do know the lead organizer has had conversations with members of the Berry family. They are open to it and certainly would need to be supportive of the initiative in order for it to succeed. In the end the co-op has to come up with the funds. Time will tell.

"Overall,we need to raise $20 million over four years to make the ski areaself-sustaining. In the first year, toget the mountain up and running in 2016-2017, we need to raise between $3million and $6 million, and fast. Thisconcept is based on other successful operating cooperative or club models around the country"

Where did they get these numbers ?

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    "Overall,we need to raise $20 million over four years to make the ski areaself-sustaining. In the first year, toget the mountain up and running in 2016-2017, we need to raise between $3million and $6 million, and fast. Thisconcept is based on other successful operating cooperative or club models around the country"

Where did they get these numbers ?
    Organizers worked with Saddleback Management to ascertain operating budget numbers and pricing on the ski resort and land.

I can pretty much confirm what salsang said. The plan is well thought out and has been developed over a period of many months. A few details cited above were taken out of context.

I wonder what the cost of the ski area and the surrounding land is for the co-op. Will the Berry family give them a slightly more favorable deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I wonder what the cost of the ski area and the surrounding land is for the co-op. Will the Berry family give them a slightly more favorable deal?
    While anybody can guess, only the Berrys know the answers.

Please help the "Saddleback Co-op" team by replying to the survey below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6M5NXGN

Thread Information