• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

deadheadskier

Staff member
I got ya...

It's funny, I'm kind of the opposite - always liked Phish well enough, but for the last 3 years, been really into them. Except for the new songs that suck, like that fake band album...yuch,,,

But me and my daughters hit Camden every summer, and I have to say, I feel like they are clicking. Maybe it's because I'm old like them...dunno.

But I also enjoy seeing Dead and Co. Part of that is nostalgia for the scene. But I dig Mayer's sound with them.
They've had their moments in 3.0 for sure, but I wouldn't agree that they are "clicking." They do at times and when they do it's the same old magic, but consistency is lacking. Baker's Dozen in particular stands up to the old days.

3.0 Phish is essentially 90s Grateful Dead. Now my experience with Jerry was short lived. I'm 44. I saw JGB or GD 30 times from 89 to 95 due to having a very cool older brother. I LIVED for those experiences even though looking back, 50% of the shows were pretty poorly played. But I recall back then loving it all and simultaneously seeing bitter older fans being hypercritical. Jaded Vets. I didn't get it.......until I became a Jaded Phish vet.

Saw Phish for the first time in 93 and approximately 75 times through 99. I've only seen them about 15 times since and I'm critical as hell when I do. That's because 93-98 Phish was like 72 - 77 Grateful Dead. Stunning performances every night, great new material...you walked into the venue every night thinking you could see something historic.

Still glad that they're doing it. Glad Dead and Co is too. Mayer has been better than expected. People find great joy still with both, they still want to do it, so party on.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stone Church and Harlow's Pub in Peterborough are two of the coziest places to see some music
You've been to the Stone Church in Newmarket? Cool! For the Breakfast by chance? They still play here about once a year and I make sure I'm there for each one. Lastly in November.

Cozy is a good word for the Stone Church. Especially when you live here walking distance from the venue. Cozy is a good word for Newmarket in general.

Have you been to the imposter in Brattleboro? I haven't it, but it kind of irks me as an OG Stone Church guy.

tnt1234

I'm 52, so a bit older. Saw tGD from about 85-95. Usually 3-4 times a year. Almost impossibly never saw Phish until 3.0. So there's that too. I've listened to tons of 1.0, 2.0 over the years, but never saw them.

Yeah, I've heard the same abut early Phish - must have been special.

But I would say 3.0 is better than tGD 90s. At least better than 94-95. 90-92 was pretty good. Jerry was just so far gone. Our last show was a summer Giant stadium with an infamous Wharf Rat, where Jerry forgot everything. Couldn't play the lick, couldn't remember the words, forgot the structure. Bobby finally aborted the effort half way through it and cranked out another tune....comments on the archive are pretty funny.

https://archive.org/details/gd95-06-18.aud.2543.sbeok.shnf

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had no idea DHS was a fellow Ween fan!

Late to the party, but all about brown now.

I'm the classic VT raised kid who only heard of Ween because Phish played Roses. Late 90s tried to check them out, but found their studio albums over produced and weird. They didn't rock or jam on compact disc.

2006 I meet my now wife. Early on she reveals Ween is her favorite band. I say I don't really care for them, but dig Phishs version of Roses. She says no, you need to see them live. She brought the Live in Chicago DVD over to my apartment, I was floored and the rest is history. I married Jess a year later and essentially any Ween show on a weekend or when I can get time off for within 2-3 hours of home, we've been at. Which obviously isn't nearly enough due to the break up and sparse schedule since getting back together.

So pumped for NYC show. The morning after the Boston show in Dec, I immediately got tickets and a hotel room for NYC when I hadn't planned on it prior. Don't want to wait until they play Portland or Boston again because I might be waiting awhile.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm 52, so a bit older. Saw tGD from about 85-95. Usually 3-4 times a year. Almost impossibly never saw Phish until 3.0. So there's that too. I've listened to tons of 1.0, 2.0 over the years, but never saw them.

Yeah, I've heard the same abut early Phish - must have been special.

But I would say 3.0 is better than tGD 90s. At least better than 94-95. 90-92 was pretty good. Jerry was just so far gone. Our last show was a summer Giant stadium with an infamous Wharf Rat, where Jerry forgot everything. Couldn't play the lick, couldn't remember the words, forgot the structure. Bobby finally aborted the effort half way through it and cranked out another tune....comments on the archive are pretty funny.

https://archive.org/details/gd95-06-18.aud.2543.sbeok.shnf
no doubt 3.0 Phish is better performing than 90s Dead. We can thank Treys sobriety for that. He was on pace for an earlier exit than Jerry before his arrest. I say this, but personally I'll take any shitty 90s GD show I saw over the best 3.0 Phish I've seen. Even on the worst nights, Garcia would have 10-20 minutes of playing that was the most beautiful music I've ever felt.

The Sneak

I prefer the Ween side project “Moistboyz.” Unbelievably mindless metal. In high school (class of 96), a classmate heard I was into weird stuff and gave me a tape with 2 seminal 70s NYC albums on it: Richard Hell and the Voidoids ‘Blank Generation’ and Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers “L.A.M.F.’...filling out the tape was the first Moistboyz album.

At first I was appalled by their moronic rap metal about Super Soaker squirt guns and the like, but it quickly became this cult thing. I was pleased to find out (years later) that there are more Moistboyz albums out there.

Warning: does not sound like Ween. Is not good by conventional definitions of artistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyGroomer

WTF happened here? Weather went to shit. Thread REALLY went to shit.

I'll be gathering myself for a moment tryin to figure a corrective action.

jimmywilson69

Late to the party, but all about brown now.

I'm the classic VT raised kid who only heard of Ween because Phish played Roses. Late 90s tried to check them out, but found their studio albums over produced and weird. They didn't rock or jam on compact disc.

2006 I meet my now wife. Early on she reveals Ween is her favorite band. I say I don't really care for them, but dig Phishs version of Roses. She says no, you need to see them live. She brought the Live in Chicago DVD over to my apartment, I was floored and the rest is history. I married Jess a year later and essentially any Ween show on a weekend or when I can get time off for within 2-3 hours of home, we've been at. Which obviously isn't nearly enough due to the break up and sparse schedule since getting back together.

So pumped for NYC show. The morning after the Boston show in Dec, I immediately got tickets and a hotel room for NYC when I hadn't planned on it prior. Don't want to wait until they play Portland or Boston again because I might be waiting awhile.

I've seen Ween 40 times. I'm a little burned out on this era of new music. Still an amazing rock show, just not sure I want to travel to see them. We hit up T5 for their return to the East Coast back in April 2016. We had an amazing 4 days in NYC with 3 even more amazing Ween shows with no repeats!

Pro Move is to go to the Top floor and get a railing spot. Not as crowded and there is a bar with short lines.

Again Back to the regularly scheduled Magic Mountain Discussion.

KustyTheKlown

Ugh this forecast. Gonna have to eat the Manchester hotel room, and now I’ll probably book a cheapy near Montpelier and do some sort of Burke/mad river/sugarbush thing. Not booking til I see tomorrow’s forecasts. Gah.

KustyTheKlown

You've been to the Stone Church in Newmarket? Cool! For the Breakfast by chance? They still play here about once a year and I make sure I'm there for each one. Lastly in November.

Cozy is a good word for the Stone Church. Especially when you live here walking distance from the venue. Cozy is a good word for Newmarket in general.

Have you been to the imposter in Brattleboro? I haven't it, but it kind of irks me as an OG Stone Church guy.

I’ve also been to the stone church! Used to be buddies with the guys in Raq and joined them for a Burlington/stone church weekend years ago. Cool room.

PaulR

Seriously, I just had to skim though a zillion overrated pot-head jam band posts to look for Magic stuff. Where's Scotty to take care of this?

:lol:
I have ONE FB friend who is a Phish head, that's enough. Takes up my whole news feed.
To bring it full circle: Last time at Magic, caught a hawt chick with a MOE shirt on, while I'm dad/accountant/skier and not a pothead snowboarder per se, I thought that was pretty nice to see. I do like MOE a LOT.

back to programming..............

slatham

Wow hasn't been a Magic thread hijacking in a while. It sucks......

Speaking of sucks - computer weather models! That said, this storm was always heading into a marginally cold air mass in the midst of a warm pattern so downside - especially from some of the more bullish snow graphics of a few days ago - was pretty much inevitable.

The possible good news? A net gainer of extra dense snow. And any non-snow might only fall overnight Saturday, and back to snow Sunday, so it could be snow during the day Saturday/Sunday for your skiing enjoyment. But this is still a close, complex and unresolved situation. Low (and upper level low) tracks a bit further south and things would improve drastically......

deadheadskier

Staff member
I’ve also been to the stone church! Used to be buddies with the guys in Raq and joined them for a Burlington/stone church weekend years ago. Cool room.
I was likely there. Saw Raq at the Church many times. The Zappa night is particularly memorable. Miss that band.

They should do some reunion shows at the Black Line Tavern. Turned up extra loud just for Benedict Gomez

tumbler

I was likely there. Saw Raq at the Church many times. The Zappa night is particularly memorable. Miss that band.

They should do some reunion shows at the Black Line Tavern. Turned up extra loud just for Benedict Gomez

Has BG even skied this year? Or too busy working on his wood?