• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

zoomzoom

great news, thx. dave is a great op, btw. knows the lift and it's inherent little sounds, super friendly, nice ramp.

MEtoVTSkier

[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]Welcome to the NEW, but still RETRO, Magic.[/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]​[/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]Thanks to all for their support of the purchase of this iconic throwback ski area gem by SKI MAGIC LLC just two weeks ago. [/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]We have a big week ahead to determine if we can get open by December 17th, as we'd like to do. STEP 1: Snowmaking. New snowmaking machines were installed on the mountain--HKD Impulse 30' towers on all of Talisman steeps and on strategic locations at Trick/Magic Carpet intersection and Medium/Magic Carpet intersection! Then Monday-Thursday we will be installing new and refurbished pump motors in our main Pump House to give Magic more long-term snowmaking horsepower while connecting our new Variable Frequency Drives to improve the efficiency and control of our horsepower/water output. Our lake pump and new motor/VFD will also be installed this week. So significant capital investment in upgrading the snowmaking system should be ready for testing and then production by late week. That will gives about a week if we get cold temps (looking good right now) to get Magic a way down from the top. Hopefully mother-nature gives us an assist there with natural snow as well. [/FONT]​
​​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]STEP 2: Lifts. Our work-horse Red Chair Lift has been undergoing maintenance for weeks and had its final line check last week prior to state inspection. Because of the diligence of our efforts, we found two assemblies that need to be repaired. Parts were quickly ordered for manufacture over this weekend and will be air-freighted overnight from the west coast Monday arriving here Tuesday. Every day counts with Opening Day on the 17th so no expense is being spared and if all goes well the Red Chair should be ready if snowmaking and weather cooperate. Now, the extra work on Red Chair this week, means that Black Chair work gets pushed back a bit. Still working to have it ready before the end of December.[/FONT]​
​​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]We will continue to keep you posted, but every one at SKI MAGIC is busting their behinds to get this special ski area open as early as possible without sacrificing our commitment to safety and doing things right--no shortcuts! In addition, much work is being done on the lodge, so you may see some changes when you get here! [/FONT][FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]To read more about the purchase by our SKI MAGIC group, click "Read More".[/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]Really stoked for Magic! - Geoff[/FONT]​

Sorcerer

[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]Welcome to the NEW, but still RETRO, Magic.[/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]Thanks to all for their support of the purchase of this iconic throwback ski area gem by SKI MAGIC LLC just two weeks ago. [/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]We have a big week ahead to determine if we can get open by December 17th, as we'd like to do. STEP 1: Snowmaking. New snowmaking machines were installed on the mountain--HKD Impulse 30' towers on all of Talisman steeps and on strategic locations at Trick/Magic Carpet intersection and Medium/Magic Carpet intersection! Then Monday-Thursday we will be installing new and refurbished pump motors in our main Pump House to give Magic more long-term snowmaking horsepower while connecting our new Variable Frequency Drives to improve the efficiency and control of our horsepower/water output. Our lake pump and new motor/VFD will also be installed this week. So significant capital investment in upgrading the snowmaking system should be ready for testing and then production by late week. That will gives about a week if we get cold temps (looking good right now) to get Magic a way down from the top. Hopefully mother-nature gives us an assist there with natural snow as well. [/FONT]​
​​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]STEP 2: Lifts. Our work-horse Red Chair Lift has been undergoing maintenance for weeks and had its final line check last week prior to state inspection. Because of the diligence of our efforts, we found two assemblies that need to be repaired. Parts were quickly ordered for manufacture over this weekend and will be air-freighted overnight from the west coast Monday arriving here Tuesday. Every day counts with Opening Day on the 17th so no expense is being spared and if all goes well the Red Chair should be ready if snowmaking and weather cooperate. Now, the extra work on Red Chair this week, means that Black Chair work gets pushed back a bit. Still working to have it ready before the end of December.[/FONT]​
​​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]We will continue to keep you posted, but every one at SKI MAGIC is busting their behinds to get this special ski area open as early as possible without sacrificing our commitment to safety and doing things right--no shortcuts! In addition, much work is being done on the lodge, so you may see some changes when you get here! [/FONT][FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]To read more about the purchase by our SKI MAGIC group, click "Read More".[/FONT]​
[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496]Really stoked for Magic! - Geoff[/FONT]​

Can't believe all of the work that has been done on the lodge and the mountain - GREAT JOB

mriceyman

So jacked up to visit this year

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

slatham

Hey Geoff,
Not that you have nothing else to do, but it would really be awesome if you could take a few short videos of work in action. Mike Bouchard at Tenny has been doing that as he rebuilds the infrastructure.
Check out these videos:
https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/562187513979698/

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/559684540896662/

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/547668965431553/

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/videos/547695162095600/

Bill, Geoff and team have been putting out a lot of eye candy and info via magic.com, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Based on the "to do list", unexpected issues, and tight time frame, I think they're doing a great job.

RustyGroomer

While I think it's a bit unreasonable to ask anything of these guys right now check the VIDEO of the Red Chair running today. Fixing the last of the tower assembly's. There you go Bill. FB page.

JamaicaMan

sure hope charmin ultra soft is in the restrooms

This is important to respond to. 1) After lift repairs and snowmaking there is zero money left for TP, much less Charmin. 2) While Magic normally has some toilet paper (every other stall, but only a few sheets left in each), Magic will never do soft, much less ultra soft. Definitely closer to cardboard 3) Billski, we all do things differently. Videos on every infrastructure improvement is not our thing. We suck at videos quite frankly. 4) however, we might just do a video if we get a shipment of TP in though!

prsboogie

With the up coming weather pattern any chance of a early opening "pow day"? 😎

BabyGuinness

I will assure you there will be no ultra soft TP in the bathrooms...that doesn't mean the bathrooms wont be clean! If it becomes an issue of cleanliness, let DW or myself know and we'll have it rectified! Nobody needs to think we have an outhouse mentality here! lol
We have an amazing work in progress here...with a little patience as we get open I assure you all, we'll have one of the best products seen at magic (all facets) in years! It'll be nice to celebrate the mountain and what it is becoming and not degrade it for all of its shortcomings! This is all from me, a late starter of the magic family...though i cant help myself on a daily basis think of how privileged i am to work alongside such a great group of individuals!

JamaicaMan

With the up coming weather pattern any chance of a early opening "pow day"? 😎

At this point I'd say very little chance of opening earlier than 12/17 (quite frankly 12/17 will need a lot of pieces to come
together.) Red Chair needs its final state inspection next week. Snowmaking is not expected to begin until later this weekend when we hope to get the pump houses back online with all its new/refurbished motors and VFDs.

Did you know that Magic will be the 1st VT ski area to be 100% VFD for all of its pumps from lake to mountain? So says Efficiency Vermont! Now that's setting us up for a sustainable future--not whether we will have Charmin ;-).

So all of us at Magic are focused on doing whatever we can to make 12/17 in some form--whether it's the tube park and beginner lift plus the new Black Line Tavern or we have a snowmaking trail down from the top or hopefully mother-nature drops a bunch of snow and maybe we have a few more options as we put man-made snow on the hill as quickly as possible.

We provide a series of updates on the homepage which are posted frequently to keep folks informed as well as everything we've done on fb Instagram twitter. We will see the AZ folks at Magic very soon! And be sure to stop in to say hi when you do!

Be assured Magic is not a short term project and we are putting the resources against the product needs as quickly and safely as possible to set the ski area up for long term success.

slatham

Thanks for all the updates and hard work JM and team.

Happily opening terrain on natural is NOT out of the question from what I see on the models. Yes it means things fall our way especially with the storm(s) later next week (which the models do not have a handle on at all) but there is a scenario where all is good. It would be nice if Ullr delivered for the faithful......

RustyGroomer

This season has already exceeded the last several & I haven't made a single turn. See you all in a bit.

jrmagic

I will assure you there will be no ultra soft TP in the bathrooms...that doesn't mean the bathrooms wont be clean! If it becomes an issue of cleanliness, let DW or myself know and we'll have it rectified! Nobody needs to think we have an outhouse mentality here! lol
We have an amazing work in progress here...with a little patience as we get open I assure you all, we'll have one of the best products seen at magic (all facets) in years! It'll be nice to celebrate the mountain and what it is becoming and not degrade it for all of its shortcomings! This is all from me, a late starter of the magic family...though i cant help myself on a daily basis think of how privileged i am to work alongside such a great group of individuals!
I meant for soft wiping material. Wasn't trying to imply it being unclean in any way. As a late comer to the family you guys have done a hell of a lot of good here and Im glad youre in it for the long haul[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app