The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 143

AlpineZone

Page 143 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2154
    Wizard chute is way harder than the rest of the trail. If there are going to be any groomed runs accessable off Wizard - and I'd argue that eventually having a groomed expert trail is a good thing - that becomes the #1 trouble spot over there.

Someone who is, say, practicing bumps on Talisman maybe isn't ready for bumps with no margin for error on Wizard Chute.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IceEidolon View Post
    Wizard chute is way harder than the rest of the trail. If there are going to be any groomed runs accessable off Wizard - and I'd argue that eventually having a groomed expert trail is a good thing - that becomes the #1 trouble spot over there.

Someone who is, say, practicing bumps on Talisman maybe isn't ready for bumps with no margin for error on Wizard Chute.

Talisman is typically groomed once they put a base down (last year it was "down the middle", previous years skiers left).

I would expect once the new Black Quad is in Wizard would be a focus of snowmaking and grooming in order to spread out the crowd. In that scenario the Chute becomes a serious issue without a bit of (but not too much!) widening, IMO. JM and DW are well aware if this issue, and indicated that there is a "chance" that the crew working on Trick will get over to Chute this off season.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

I didn't get to ski Talisman last year except in fresh snow, and it was quite bumped both times I skied it the year before. I don't know what typical is, since I only make it up a couple times a year.

I hope it does work out, because Wizard with a little more snow and a little less chute would be really fun to lap, even without anything else on that side open.

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Talisman is typically groomed once they put a base down (last year it was "down the middle", previous years skiers left).

I would expect once the new Black Quad is in Wizard would be a focus of snowmaking and grooming in order to spread out the crowd. In that scenario the Chute becomes a serious issue without a bit of (but not too much!) widening, IMO. JM and DW are well aware if this issue, and indicated that there is a "chance" that the crew working on Trick will get over to Chute this off season.
    I didn't get to Magic last year but the previous years Talisman was groomed and was a fun and fast groomer that my wife loved.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyGrove View Post
    I understand your point and Magic does tend to attract a more 'adventurous' crowd, but Broomstick is listed as a double black so if they ski similarly that's not really fair to folks that have not been before and find themselves soiling their long johns at the top of the wiz chute.
    Broomstick has been downgraded to single black since it was never that hard to begin with.

I don't know what's so hard about "Wizard Chute", yeah it's a little narrow but that's a good thing. Sometimes it has a few bumps and that's a good thing too. Nobody is forcing anyone to straight line it and there aren't cameras up recording your performance.

I like Magic for being a place where trail ratings aren't watered down just because 1 or 2 people who thought they were intermediates found out they are really beginners.

That part of Wizard isn't even any steeper than the part right before the curve before Slide of Hans entrance. Narrow is good, having only wide trails sucks!

imo if any part of the "Chute" should be widened it would be the really narrow washboard section that is totally flat after the slightly steep section. Tends to get upsie-downsie in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I didn't get to Magic last year but the previous years Talisman was groomed and was a fun and fast groomer that my wife loved.
    Often the grooming of Talisman is more based on the presence (or lack there of) of a scheduled race on it, than anything else.

Last year, mid February or so if I recall, after the mid season warm ups, but before March and the extended snowstorm showed up, my kids were supposed to have a slalom race on Talisman (it's legitimately one of the toughest slalom courses in VT). Magic started making snow on it for the race, but mother nature wasn't cooperative enough to get enough snow put down on Tali in time for a safe race to be held. Not sure if they had any races scheduled for Tali after that which would of had it getting some groomer love.

That combo of the pitch, the multi fallines and and turn to skiers left towards the end of the course makes it not just a great trail, but a great race hill as well!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Years ago there was a version of the Magic trail map (pic pasted below) that included a “future trail: Black Magic” that looked like it was planned to bypass the Wizard chute and drop people into the top part of Tali. Would something like that be part of a potential long-term solution to move at least some of the skier traffic off the chute?

35FFA2C0-2A6C-4373-BE8A-9022C052338D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chair13chin View Post
    Years ago there was a version of the Magic trail map (pic pasted below) that included a “future trail: Black Magic” that looked like it was planned to bypass the Wizard chute and drop people into the top part of Tali. Would something like that be part of a potential long-term solution to move at least some of the skier traffic off the chute?

Great 1st post! It's fun to look back at those old maps. Lower Wiz is listed as a green run (which is probably more accurate but doesn't really matter since you have to take a blue or black to get there).

However, it takes a lot of snow to cover the snow making pipes that run along skier's right side of Wizard and I'm not sure that a double black trail would take much traffic off of the chute.

Just dropping in to say Trick is really fun when bumped up, good for the ego before someone tackles Goniff or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chair13chin View Post

That would be a great and very steep trail. Would really make the combo of that trail with Talisman or Sorcerer an unbelievable expert run. I am sure it would lessen the traffic on Wizard (when open) but I don't think that alone would eliminate the issue on the Chute.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Thread Information