• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

NYDB

OmG what a day. Get there if can. Tommorow will be awesome as well. Lots of untracked/ little tracked tree shots left. Ungroomed trails are still chopped pow / pow bumps. Groomers were plush.

Bring the spoons if your heading in the woods.

Ledges on RL /BL /GL were starting to get thin by end of day but jeebus. I mean cmon. Only things closed were PB and BM. Although they probably went. I didn't try. Hope the kids pass the covid test next wed and can come up otherwise its back to NY for Xmas.

Also hope the energy coming through around Xmas does more good then harm.

Maybe 5-8 min wait on red from 10-1. Otherwise a 0 to 5 chair wait.

Red only running.

If my legs recover enough for tommorow ill be heading straight into the trees early.

Attachments

• 20201218_094253.jpg
    20201218_094253.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20201218_140807.jpg
    20201218_140807.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32

KustyTheKlown

sick. i am going sunday. leftovers of leftovers, but glad you had a great day. i couldn't do the drive again, getting from stratton to waitsfield yesterday afternoon after skiing pow all day was brutal. the thought of waking at 6 to do it again was too much.

RustyGroomer

A couple pics...

Attachments

• C33E1D92-0A01-4274-A4F3-20677F6EEB25.jpeg
    C33E1D92-0A01-4274-A4F3-20677F6EEB25.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 33
  • FFC516F8-64E7-4095-8CD4-7FAE1CE8F625.jpeg
    FFC516F8-64E7-4095-8CD4-7FAE1CE8F625.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

NYDB

Yeah leftover days are some of my favorite days there. The lower angle stuff gets skiid in nicely, all the lesser known woods are still lightly tracked (I mean look at that picture. Thats super well marked and heavily traveled woods 3 days after a storm) and the bumps are usually proper.

slatham

2AD28A21-28D3-4F4D-8150-9F28F55668BD.jpeg8E39DFA0-06FE-458E-8316-9F1D5D94101C.jpegA9D4E98B-3474-4BA3-9597-B2C8193AB12F.jpegIncredible weekend at Magic. These pics on Friday but powder shots in the woods all weekend and many of trails, notably Sorcerer and Talisman held up best with packed powder and powder mounds even today. Others are getting thin in spots but still awesome. Hope this next storm doesn’t turn out to be as bad as it looks right now.

JoeB-Z

I was sort of peeved when the Green chair was shut down on Sunday afternoon. It was rocks and Ratniks on the groomed trail down from the top. I limit myself to groomed trails early on as I am old and out of shape! Then I see here the fun people were having on the West side and now I understand the balance in the decision.

KustyTheKlown

lol. the groomer that crosses under red that skis down from top of green was a shitshow almost every ride up. i saw some guy digging out fist size rocks and tossing them into the woods. good luck buddy (hint - you wont get all of them). that one pitch lookers left from red was just a yard-sale fest every time. i was assuming these were indy pass families who have never been to magic and didn't know what to expect? the groomer from the top of red was definitely slick under the guns, but i fully understand why they were buttressing the snowpack there.

green was closed Sunday morning, but it was running by about noon and i think was running when i left at 2

slatham

They had to run the Ratnicks while they could to cover the work road and have a summit snowmaking trail that can (hopefully) withstand this weeks poor weather.

JoeB-Z

Right. The prior owners and Jim Sullivan were nuts to allow those large rocks for the tower work road.

JoeB-Z

One way down today. It was ok for me as I am just working on conditioning and form. The grooming was something of a miracle. Yeah Brownie.

slatham

One way down today. It was ok for me as I am just working on conditioning and form. The grooming was something of a miracle. Yeah Brownie.
Yeah storm was a worse case scenario. Brownie must have done heroic work to get a skiable way down. Cold temps and maybe a bit of snow Monday. Hope they can fill in up top and get open to summit.

JoeB-Z

Open to the summit today but the weather was not kind last night. Great base:confused:, the work road rocks are covered and will stay covered. Taking tomorrow off and try Saturday.

hughconway

Any of you insiders know what is going on with Magic's quad install? A little bird told me that they began hanging chairs on the line but before they were even done the cable was waaaay overstretched. Is it true that they're going to have to cut the rope and re-splice? Who is on the hook for that major miscalculation? Hopefully Magic can hold their design engineer or installers responsible and get them to foot the bill?? In any event, it looks like my prediction was correct again this year. I was hoping I'd be wrong, but I think it;s pretty safe to say that chair won't spin until next season. Too bad, that chair would have been a major help during a covid affected season.

Vaughn

Any of you insiders know what is going on with Magic's quad install? A little bird told me that they began hanging chairs on the line but before they were even done the cable was waaaay overstretched. Is it true that they're going to have to cut the rope and re-splice? Who is on the hook for that major miscalculation? Hopefully Magic can hold their design engineer or installers responsible and get them to foot the bill?? In any event, it looks like my prediction was correct again this year. I was hoping I'd be wrong, but I think it;s pretty safe to say that chair won't spin until next season. Too bad, that chair would have been a major help during a covid affected season.
Any of you know why this guy has only ever posted on this forum about Magic's chairlift problems? What a weird axe to grind.

Keelhauled

I had thought that at some point in the last week or so I read on their alpine update page that they were aiming for MLK weekend to open the quad, but I don't see it there now. Did anyone else read that, or am I totally making it up?

JoeB-Z

It seems to me that with half the chairs on, the cable on that side will appear lower. Overstretched? You can't stretch a steel cable (wire rope) very much, especially with empty chairs. I would think you do preliminary tension, get all the chairs on and then start dialing in the proper tension. I'm sure this adjustment was carefully built into the bullwheel carriage. It also needs to function through all the temperature and load changes on the system. Of course it is designed and tested at the maximum use load. It is not designed to look correct to speculators when half assembled. Time will tell.