• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JimG.

Staff member
Any of you know why this guy has only ever posted on this forum about Magic's chairlift problems? What a weird axe to grind.
Hugh is a lift junkie...very into all topics related to lifts and lift construction.

I doubt he has an axe to grind.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hugh is a lift junkie...very into all topics related to lifts and lift construction.

So I did not interpret it as axe grinding at all. I've just noticed in the past 16 years or so that sometimes weird things happen in Magic threads. I don't get the weird emotions that such threads provoke.

Honestly, I am curious as to the lift issue because I want to see it open and Magic succeed.

cdskier

So I did not interpret it as axe grinding at all. I've just noticed in the past 16 years or so that sometimes weird things happen in Magic threads. I don't get the weird emotions that such threads provoke.

Honestly, I am curious as to the lift issue because I want to see it open and Magic succeed.

Based on your responses I thought maybe I was just mis-remembering his posts and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Easy enough to look at the post history on this forum for someone with 19 posts. Out of 19 messages on this forum all 19 have been in this 1 thread. Of those 19 posts, all but one have somehow referred to this one single lift. He's used phrases such as "bait and switch", "another failed promise from management", "this looks so bad for Magic", "long list of broken promises", "they are going to take a MAJOR PR hit from this failure to deliver", etc. He also predicted last year that Magic would lose many pass-holders this year due to the lift not being completed for last year. Do you guys still really think he doesn't have an axe to grind of some sort and is simply a lift junkie? I'm not buying it after re-reading his posts...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Based on your responses I thought maybe I was just mis-remembering his posts and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Easy enough to look at the post history on this forum for someone with 19 posts. Out of 19 messages on this forum all 19 have been in this 1 thread. Of those 19 posts, all but one have somehow referred to this one single lift. He's used phrases such as "bait and switch", "another failed promise from management", "this looks so bad for Magic", "long list of broken promises", "they are going to take a MAJOR PR hit from this failure to deliver", etc. He also predicted last year that Magic would lose many pass-holders this year due to the lift not being completed for last year. Do you guys still really think he doesn't have an axe to grind of some sort and is simply a lift junkie? I'm not buying it after re-reading his posts...
You just proved my point.

JimG.

Staff member
Well I didn't want to make it a research project probably because I knew someone else would. So I guess I confused this guy with someone else.

Maybe he just doesn't like Magic.

I agree with thetrailboss, certain threads seem to involve a high level of sensitivity and defensiveness.

cdskier

Well I didn't want to make it a research project probably because I knew someone else would. So I guess I confused this guy with someone else.

Maybe he just doesn't like Magic.

I agree with thetrailboss, certain threads seem to involve a high level of sensitivity and defensiveness.

I thought maybe you knew him personally or knew him from another forum or website and that's why you were defending him. Didn't take much effort to research on my part (not like I have much else to do while I quarantine before my planned winter move to VT anyway :)).

As for defensiveness in this thread, I think I'm pretty impartial on this one and just calling it like I see it based on the content of the posts in this thread. I have no skin in the game with Magic. Never skied there once as it just isn't convenient for me (although the place looks very much like somewhere I would enjoy and I'd love to get there one day to check it out).

Vaughn

As CD noted, I only made my comment because this guy literally has only posted about Magic and its lift challenges, always with a passive aggressive tone - it's weird and reads like an ex-vendor or employee.

I hope Hugh never goes to Bolton Valley because that Vista lift is glacial and might really set him off. It's a cool mountain though!

thetrailboss

Staff member
As CD noted, I only made my comment because this guy literally has only posted about Magic and its lift challenges, always with a passive aggressive tone - it's weird and reads like an ex-vendor or employee.

I hope Hugh never goes to Bolton Valley because that Vista lift is glacial and might really set him off. It's a cool mountain though!
Come on, really? Who cares?

That aside, the question about the lift is a legitimate one. Looks like they are thinking Presidents' Week according to one post. Is that the case?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That for some reason people in Magic threads get really defensive about things.

They do. Frankly I'm in the minority who is disappointed in Magic for advertising/using this lift as a selling point for the past two years. I understand there were externalities with Covid and the contractor passing but it's always seemed like we've been told "oh the lift is just a few months away!" for literally years now. IMO, should've done what they did with the Green lift and just widdled away at it and opened it on an unspecified timetable.

I know management reads this and I hope my opinion doesn't bother y'all personally- you're a great group and I'll still be supporting Magic a few times a year and telling people on the chairlift at all the other mountains about this gem in SoVT.

drjeff

Sometimes I think the 1 certain thing about the ski industry is that there's going to be a bunch of uncertainty!

I applaud Geoff and his crew for their ability to keep on rolling through all the adversity and uncertainty they have faced the last few seasons!

ne_skier

Well for one way down Saturday seemed to be a great day, powder in the morning and the hard pack never seemed to get icy except for a bit on Carumba. Snow gave them a sorely needed base for any more stuff to stick to as it falls, so hopefully we can see some ungroomed terrain coming back by MLK Weekend

ne_skier

Fellow lift nerd here, I know, I should probably go outside more lol
I personally haven't heard anything about needing a re-splice. Hard to believe they wouldn't have addressed this issue before putting 3/4 of the chairs on the line, but who knows. Whether or not they get Black running by whatever date they say simply depends on their ability and desire to work through the snow. Other than minor details, the main things left are getting the rest of the chairs on, installing safety bars and getting it state approved for operation. They're certainly in the home stretch.
And despite loving Magic, I am going to have to agree with ss20, that Magic shouldn't be giving out dates that they can't fully commit to, nor should they be marketing it as heavily as they are now. I'd like to believe that Black would be up and running by President's (MLK seems like an unattainable goal given it's only two weeks from now), but I don't have enough intel on the construction to know how it's going.
In general, Magic has a good lift system. Yeah, multi-year installations are almost always required as it isn't a huge operation, but two new lifts in under 4 years is something that hasn't been done before in Magic history, not even in the Simon Oren days (Black doesn't count, they simply slapped used triples on a double. Stupid decision, it led to the lift deteriorating despite not changing capacity due to the distant chair spacing. Timberside's double and T bar were built back when it was Timber Ridge). Green was installed right and Red is maintained excellently for a lift of it's age, most resorts would have gone with a replacement or an eyesore of an "upgrade". It's got plenty of years ahead of it, especially considering Superior Tramway provides spare parts for Heron lifts. The only potential problems I could possibly pull out of my ass for the new lift system would be trail overcrowding (Total summit capacity is about equivalent to the average 6 pack) and Red falling into disrepair due to a lack of use, but I doubt I'll see either of those problems when Black is finished. If Hugh wants to complain about lifts, perhaps he should go to a Sunday River forum and complain about Barker. Not too much disagreement on that problem lol.

Slidebrook87

Or the the Attitash Triple... :rolleyes:
Now combine the awful reliability, mediocre capacity, long ride time and often long lines, and you’re either not riding it at all, or waiting 30 minutes, riding for 16, and skiing for 5 giving you close to an hour a run on busy days. That and Barker need to be replaced desperately, but Vail doesn’t give a shit about Attitash.