• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

That and Barker need to be replaced desperately, but Vail doesn’t give a shit about Attitash.
One of the benefits of being independent. The major resort chains, particularly Boyne and Vail love to milk the east to pay for the west. All you need to do is look at the Big Sky 2025 proposals while also noting that a major detachable lift at Sunday River is in such a debilitated state it has to run slower than the T Bar next to it. Glad Magic hasn't gone down that rabbit hole.

thetrailboss

Staff member
One of the benefits of being independent. The major resort chains, particularly Boyne and Vail love to milk the east to pay for the west. All you need to do is look at the Big Sky 2025 proposals while also noting that a major detachable lift at Sunday River is in such a debilitated state it has to run slower than the T Bar next to it. Glad Magic hasn't gone down that rabbit hole.
Yes, Big Sky is a the darling of Boyne. Brighton is another resort that does not see major capital improvements, at least not lately. I'd hate to be a regular Sugarloaf or Sunday River skier with all the lift issues they have.

Newpylong

Haven't heard many out of norm issues at SR outside of Barker, which is a constant head ache.

Can't speak for SL, though I think their lift system leaves much to be desired.

1dog

I thought maybe you knew him personally or knew him from another forum or website and that's why you were defending him. Didn't take much effort to research on my part (not like I have much else to do while I quarantine before my planned winter move to VT anyway :)).

As for defensiveness in this thread, I think I'm pretty impartial on this one and just calling it like I see it based on the content of the posts in this thread. I have no skin in the game with Magic. Never skied there once as it just isn't convenient for me (although the place looks very much like somewhere I would enjoy and I'd love to get there one day to check it out).

Between you and me CD, it's one of those places that unlike anywhere else except MRG, Castlerock, and woods of Smuggs, with a base and some fresh, it's well, Magic. Don't tell anyone else, but if you go, unless conditions are downright ice, it has some of the most interesting terrain, trail design, and 1960's feel more than anything in NE outside of the aforementioned areas. I've never skied Bolton, and I have't skied any woods at Bromley, but the 6-8 x I've done Magic has always paid off.

All I know is Ikon has helped spread out Bush crowds, so I'm not gonna complain. One local who works there told me holidays were 70% off their norm.

I've skied Killington 3 days where I usually ski once a year ( early Nov). I got 4 more there so Bush may have 4 days less of me. I assume others are doing the same.

It does have its advantages, and combined with Covid it allows for spending more time skiing and less in lines so far.

tumbler

Ikon is not responsible for spreading out the Bush crowds. That would be the other thing we are all dealing with.

cdskier

All I know is Ikon has helped spread out Bush crowds, so I'm not gonna complain. One local who works there told me holidays were 70% off their norm.
That's interesting and seems somewhat counter-intuitive. Curious to see if that trend continues as the season goes on.

And yea, on the topic of Magic it definitely sounds like a place I'd enjoy. It just is the convenience (or lack thereof) that has prevented me so far from checking it out. It is nearly 4 hours from where I am in NJ and 2 hours from the MRV when I'm up there (with a requirement of driving right past the Sugarbush base area if I leave from my condo).

ne_skier

And yea, on the topic of Magic it definitely sounds like a place I'd enjoy. It just is the convenience (or lack thereof) that has prevented me so far from checking it out. It is nearly 4 hours from where I am in NJ and 2 hours from the MRV when I'm up there (with a requirement of driving right past the Sugarbush base area if I leave from my condo).
This is our first season getting passes at Magic and honestly I couldn't be happier. Never had a disappointing day here, the locals are super friendly, the terrain is great and it's a great, laid back vibe. They also really lucked out with Covid, while other major areas are scrambling. We're about the same distance away and are former Belleayre skiers, if you ever get a holiday weekend and there's some snow it's worth checking out. Area is nice too, a lot of good restaurants and shops, not to mention great scenery.

machski

Yes, Big Sky is a the darling of Boyne. Brighton is another resort that does not see major capital improvements, at least not lately. I'd hate to be a regular Sugarloaf or Sunday River skier with all the lift issues they have.
Hey now, we're getting a brand new Dopp Triple for the Merrill Hill residential development next year at SR. Who needs a Barker replacement?

AdironRider

I do find it interesting that the regular Magic posters here would have absolutely destroyed prior ownership for the black lift taking this long, but now Magic is owned by internet approved bros, so no fault can lie with them now can it?

1dog

Ikon is not responsible for spreading out the Bush crowds. That would be the other thing we are all dealing with.
OK, well it spread no less than 5 people I know of who would have skied Bush if not for Ikon. Two others at Flatton, so. . .

1dog

Right. And the crap weather.
those are both significant reasons, but I keep reading about line issues and the 7 days I've skied there hasn't been a line issue, at Sugarbush or K-Mart. One exception was a sh** show at Heavens Gate that ran 100 yards UP Deathspout - had a poor woman get cut off at the knees by a fellow snowboarder who couldn't stop. The amazing thing was the girl who was knocked down and couldn't get up due to injuries, was comforting the girl who did it!

The three runs I did there yesterday was a 5 minute wait tops.

skithetrees

I do find it interesting that the regular Magic posters here would have absolutely destroyed prior ownership for the black lift taking this long, but now Magic is owned by internet approved bros, so no fault can lie with them now can it?
When you have 15 years without a single capital project being successfully completed under the old ownership, new ownership’s accomplishments are downright Herculean. More has been accomplished in any one of the past few years than the prior 15. The lift should be done, but it just isn’t a big deal for the mountain at this point from my perspective. The were supposed to soldier on with the black lift for at least a few more years. This was a gift (but also capital burden) that fell in theirs laps. Wait time is still less than most mountain, I don’t have to worry about assholes running over my kids like at other mountains, and the terrain (whether you are a first time visitor or diehard that knows every inch) will keep me amused for more days than I get to ski every year. 🤷‍♂️What is there to complain about?

NYDB

If red ever went down then I'm sure some people would get upset. But with red running strong it isn't a big deal really. They only really 'need' Black 6 days a year.

What they really need is a cold snowy winter.

ne_skier

When you have 15 years without a single capital project being successfully completed under the old ownership, new ownership’s accomplishments are downright Herculean. More has been accomplished in any one of the past few years than the prior 15. The lift should be done, but it just isn’t a big deal for the mountain at this point from my perspective. The were supposed to soldier on with the black lift for at least a few more years. This was a gift (but also capital burden) that fell in theirs laps.
The fact that they even took on this project is pretty crazy, I expected them to throw a new motor in Black and go from there, and if it were a replacement I would have expected them to get some old used double and put it in on Black's former line (Still more capacity than old Black for a number of reasons). Yeah the multi-year installations suck, but Magic hasn't seen investment of this size in terms of lifts since it's founding. The biggest problem coming out of the wait time for Black is just that it isn't great PR for them. They only really needed Black on holiday weekends and some busy weekends in February, and even then it always overheated and shut down before 12. Red can handle most of the mountain's summit capacity on a normal day and it should only be a select number of days they really need black. On NY's point, a Red breakdown would demonstrate the need for a backup, if the installation isn't completed some time in 2021 they're gonna be playing with fire on that front (Though I don't see them getting there in the first place).

Newpylong

When an independent installer is used (out of necessity due to cost, availability and scheduling, etc) this unfortunately is a downside of what can happen. Went through the same myself putting a lift in.

hughconway

I won't waste my time or energy addressing the people making emotional accusations, but for the record, I'm very pro-Magic and wish them nothing but prosperity and heavy snowfall. And yes, I am a self-admitted lift geek.

Magic's recent facebook post confirmed what I had heard, and they are saying that the line 'relaxed' and needs to be shortened by 10' and it sounds like the cut/re-splice is scheduled for Thursday. If that goes well and as scheduled, they may have a shot at getting that chair running & inspected for this season, which I feel will be a major asset in distributing skiers in a COVID affected winter. It also gives them a backup option for the red double chair under "normal" conditions. Unless I am mistaken the haul rope on the red double is at or very close to the end of its service life and will need replacing in the not too distant future.

KustyTheKlown

That's interesting and seems somewhat counter-intuitive. Curious to see if that trend continues as the season goes on.

i know you are relocating to the valley for the winter, but in a normal year just leave jersey super early Saturday morning, hit magic, and then sleep at your place Saturday night and ski sugarbush. its so worth your time. or just leave the valley super early Sunday morning and hit magic sunday. i do that all the time. i don't have a condo. but its pretty typical for me to leave 3 AM, drive to sugarbush, ski, drive to rutland to sleep, then drive to magic to ski. easy drive home from magic, under 4 hours if everything is perfect.