• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

prsboogie

At this point I'd say very little chance of opening earlier than 12/17 (quite frankly 12/17 will need a lot of pieces to come
together.) Red Chair needs its final state inspection next week. Snowmaking is not expected to begin until later this weekend when we hope to get the pump houses back online with all its new/refurbished motors and VFDs.

Did you know that Magic will be the 1st VT ski area to be 100% VFD for all of its pumps from lake to mountain? So says Efficiency Vermont! Now that's setting us up for a sustainable future--not whether we will have Charmin ;-).

So all of us at Magic are focused on doing whatever we can to make 12/17 in some form--whether it's the tube park and beginner lift plus the new Black Line Tavern or we have a snowmaking trail down from the top or hopefully mother-nature drops a bunch of snow and maybe we have a few more options as we put man-made snow on the hill as quickly as possible.

We provide a series of updates on the homepage which are posted frequently to keep folks informed as well as everything we've done on fb Instagram twitter. We will see the AZ folks at Magic very soon! And be sure to stop in to say hi when you do

Thanks so much for keeping us informed. I cannot wait to get up there with the kids and enjoying all your blood sweat and tears!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

As an individual living with Crohn's disease, if I have to use anything but baby wipes or super-triple-ultra ply with lotion I will be suing under the American's with Disabilities Act.

RustyGroomer

All shittin' aside, the place looks so awesome. It got a serious cleaning ready for customers. The days of sitting around hoping are over. These guys are making things happen.

JamaicaMan

The odds of top-to-bottom skiing are not realistic for this weekend. The storm gave us 5-6" on top of a 2-3" prior base. There is some decent skinning going on but we need some snowmaking and, or another storm.

The pump houses with all the new equipment are still being assembled. So freaking close right now. Gotta say our crew (led by Do Work) is putting in a ton of effort but a key supplier (and various "overnight" delivery services) have made a few days slip from our grasp. It happens. Growing pains. But it will get there now by Wednesday night. Then we go like mad.

I'm thinking 12/22 (throwback Thursday) for top to bottom opening realistically. If a miracle happens...well, no matter what we will be launching the new Black Line Tavern this weekend and Goofy Foot is playing Saturday night. It's going to be a fun night.

prsboogie

Thanks for the update. Hope shit comes together for you and the crew and we will see you in January, maybe Xmas vacation week!

slatham

Quick trip to Magic for a bite and a beer on Saturday evening. Lodge looks awesome and the new bar configuration makes so much sense. My daughter and I had a window seat table (new windows too by the looks of them) looking out over the tubing hill, which was in action. Friendly staff, great beer selection, and ribs that were off-the-hook. Quick catch-up with JM, DW and Craig (who runs the bar/restaurant) as they did the rounds. Good crowd and I am sure more came later when Goody Foot played (we had to leave). Great start even if no skiing.

Of course the highlight was seeing the very first shot ski of the "New Magic", with JM, DW and Craig doing the honors.

DW reports Red inspected and snowmaking system running as expected and way above anything we've seen in the past. If they had another 24 hours or so they probably could have opened as they had a good amount of natural on the mountain. The issue is the infamous work road which needs a solid snowmaking base to cover. Given the temps this week they should be in good shape for TBT, at least for a TTB snowmaking run.

THINK SNOW!

Tin

Looking forward to some opening day turns to celebrate the end of the semester and to pick up my pass. Trick -> Showoff?

KD7000

Hoping very much to hit Magic this season. I've only been once before, a few years ago; that day was icy and not really too much fun. Glad to hear about all the work going on and I can't wait for a fresh snow day.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1483055219.235049.jpg

The little one picked up a pass today. Printer worked, bar was awesome. We even made a few turns.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1483055300.628523.jpg

Can't wait for the hill to get going.

Smellytele

bummer they haven't been able to open yet. Was looking to go there next week. Their last report states "[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496] The storm has left about 8-10" of new snow. Given zero base on most trails at the top prior to the storm, this is a very thin amount of snow to work with. Our ops team was out last night assessing and grooming until the wee hours. Currently White Out, Upper Carpet, Up Your Sleeve, Lower Carpet have been groomed for a possible top-to-bottom runs off Red Chair. Our team (mtn ops, ski patrol, management) will now ski it this morning to accurately assess and report on conditions to make the final call on opening today. Trick was ruled not skiable last night. If all is good, we will have a late morning to noon time opening. Betwixt, Enchanted Forest, and possibly Medium may also open as possible East Side routes as we ski them. If we do open, it will most likely be for season pass holders and advanced and expert skiers only given the "thin" conditions and the type of all-natural snow terrain. Tickets will be discounted with the later opening."[/FONT]

Skied today. I actually skinned up Bromley only to learn they had groomed every trail. Luckily a few trees were in the way on some trails and I got a powder run.

Returned to Magic and had two great pow runs, it was awesome.

Tin

Skied today. I actually skinned up Bromley only to learn they had groomed every trail. Luckily a few trees were in the way on some trails and I got a powder run.

Nice to meet you on that last one!

Tin

bummer they haven't been able to open yet. Was looking to go there next week. Their last report states "[FONT=avenir-lt-w01_35-light1475496] The storm has left about 8-10" of new snow. Given zero base on most trails at the top prior to the storm, this is a very thin amount of snow to work with. Our ops team was out last night assessing and grooming until the wee hours. Currently White Out, Upper Carpet, Up Your Sleeve, Lower Carpet have been groomed for a possible top-to-bottom runs off Red Chair. Our team (mtn ops, ski patrol, management) will now ski it this morning to accurately assess and report on conditions to make the final call on opening today. Trick was ruled not skiable last night. If all is good, we will have a late morning to noon time opening. Betwixt, Enchanted Forest, and possibly Medium may also open as possible East Side routes as we ski them. If we do open, it will most likely be for season pass holders and advanced and expert skiers only given the "thin" conditions and the type of all-natural snow terrain. Tickets will be discounted with the later opening."[/FONT]

Had some great powder runs today. Hats off to the new team for putting everything together and spinning today!

slatham

I did as well but expected most to be groomed. Was able to get Upper Boulevard into Everglades and Glade with 8-10 mostly untouched (trails were closed the day before but poached a little). Then got on lift to hit a few others. But by far late on Thursday was better for finding/poaching powder than Friday am.

Hoping tonight's storm gives us a decent accumulation and I can finally get to Magic.

slatham

Finally got to Magic for a few runs on New Years Day, including a couple with JM. Wow they were so close to having some solid skiing over the holidays. The late sale - the last affect of the previous knucklehead regime - hurt for sure. But even with all that they offered some good, challenging, old school variable skiing with the most honest snow report around. Show Off was simply prestine, deep base and edge to edge carvable groomed skiing. If they had a couple more days the upper mountain would have been the same. As it was they did a good job connecting Upper Carpet to Medium and Up Your Sleeve, both of which had leftover powder shots plus the overnight 1-2" blown in (lower UYS was actually really sweet by any standard). Lower Carpet was groomed natural, thin but very skiable. Vertigo had shots to skiers left. Kinderspiel was also very nice and skied like a typical mid winter day.

Trick was trickier, as the snow that was made was variable up top, though still skiable and skill enhancing. Lower Trick had been groomed and skied very well if thin in spots. The section of Wand connecting to Show Off was in mid season form.

Per Dave, Red is "purring like a kitten" and certainly felt smooth to me. Apparently Black is close to being load tested, and the beginner handle tow was back running with several customers.

As for snowmaking, there were new HKD's everywhere- land guns and portable towers scattered about, with tower guns on Trick, Magic Carpet and Medium (and off in the distance on Tali). A couple of Ratniks too for good measure. According to JM they just got a 3rd leased compressor, so I would expect some serious snowmaking later this week when true arctic air returns.

Overall, the 'statistics' of skier visits and open terrain etc vastly underestimate the amount of progress. And I haven't even mentioned BLT....

If there's a picture here it's Up Your Sleeve.....

IMG_2886.jpgIMG_2886.jpg

bdfreetuna

Bromley's grooming combined with their snowmaking power (and the fact that they use it) makes for a nice option on days when there hasn't been natural snow for a while. Sometimes skis a bit softer than other areas due to the sun as well.