• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Great news that Red got up and running so quickly. Testament to the capabilities of the Magic team. I also think what just happened with Red shows how the projects under Magic Management & Operations team control get done. Installing a lift like Black is not under their direct control, its a third party contractor (with a number of sub-contractors). That said, having a relationship with a local third party lift team (vs Dop or Poma etc) means they can be called in for emergency assistance and have familiarity with staff and lifts. Also, to a point made above, I don't think Dop and Poma really play in the area of re-installing an old lift, unless maybe if that client is also buying some new lifts.

Fingers crossed that the Pfister team has a breakthrough soon with the challenges they face with Black.

rocks860

Hmm now I’m seeing snow forecasted for Thursday night into Friday, maybe I should go up Friday instead

rocks860

Trying to decide whether to go Thursday or Friday. Sounds like Friday will have some new snow but do you guys think it will be way more crowded with the holiday weekend?

Smellytele

Trying to decide whether to go Thursday or Friday. Sounds like Friday will have some new snow but do you guys think it will be way more crowded with the holiday weekend?
won't be as bad as Sun-Mon. What is your definition of crowded? Magic crowded is a hell of a lot different than Mt Snow crowded.

rocks860

Yeah that’s very true, basically I’m wondering whether the difference in “crowds” would be worth going Thursday instead of Friday. Right now I’m leaning Friday

NYDB

Either day will be great. Refresh today and Tuesday will have the mountain in primo condition Thursday even with the mountain rentals happening.

But I wouldn't worry about Friday liftlines either unless it ends up snowing like a foot that day

Last edited:

Do Work

not getting the black quad up, seems to be a huge mistake, listened to Brian’s Fairbanks on some podcast and he ran it for awhile when bromley owned magic, he seemed kinda negative about magic, if he can’t make a place work who can.

LOOOOOL... Well the key to Magic's success in our tenure has been realizing *what it isn't* as much as paying attention to *what it is*. Management 101 will tell you that differentiation is absolutely an alternative to "keeping up with the Joneses" provided that your offering is in fact worthy of that differentiation you're marketing. Fairbanks wanted Magic to be another Bromley or Stratton and that would require tens of millions of dollars to do and it would STILL be behind them- so in his mind yeah, it's not a win because it didn't fit into the mold he was trying to cram it into.

KustyTheKlown

love it man. do you work the liftline or lift loading on Sundays? if so we've crossed paths and i should say hello more properly. pink poles, pink black crows, grey outerwear.

every time I've been up to magic this year I've been struck by how busy it has been without feeling overcrowded. it seems people are catching on and that y'all are having a banner jan-feb. happy for you.

JoeB-Z

Do Work works everywhere. He buzzes around like a hummingbird! You could spot him doing 10 different things in a days skiing. At the lifts I think he is covering people for their breaks.

Do Work

love it man. do you work the liftline or lift loading on Sundays? if so we've crossed paths and i should say hello more properly. pink poles, pink black crows, grey outerwear.

every time I've been up to magic this year I've been struck by how busy it has been without feeling overcrowded. it seems people are catching on and that y'all are having a banner jan-feb. happy for you.

I think I commented on those crows last weekend. I’m always in all black with a chest radio pack & usually obnoxious sunglasses on. I try to get over to help with breaks at the main lift midday or in the afternoon so I can see how the guests are doing and check on the lifts but if there’s a big project I might not make it.

Do Work

Wow beautiful refill on what on Wednesday was incredible. Pitch Black is a great addition to the gnarly steeps of Magic.

My favorite run on the whole mountain. It’s so steep and with so much undulation or cliffy spots it just makes it so playful on a pow day. You can send a huge air pretty much anywhere, it’s amazing. I wish it went like that all the way to the lodge lol

KustyTheKlown

I think I commented on those crows last weekend. I’m always in all black with a chest radio pack & usually obnoxious sunglasses on. I try to get over to help with breaks at the main lift midday or in the afternoon so I can see how the guests are doing and check on the lifts but if there’s a big project I might not make it.

right on, yes, i told you i like the crows but I'm skeptical bc they had to warranty me a new pair after last year's model broke in a very whacky and suspicious way after less than 20 days on skis. right on dude, i will introduce myself next time. love what you guys are doing up there and am enjoying my gradual slide into magic cult fanboy (2 years of quad packs, then this year sunday pass+indy pass, next year prob full pass, next year prob condo owner :ROFLMAO: )

rocks860

Great day at magic today, early runs there was so much untracked it was crazy. I mostly stuck to the hallows as it appeared no one was skiing in there.

Attachments

• 6B1EEB8E-CB3E-4A16-849B-8D36026EC178.jpeg
    6B1EEB8E-CB3E-4A16-849B-8D36026EC178.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 9204FF33-CD07-4BBD-99BD-49298BB6781E.jpeg
    9204FF33-CD07-4BBD-99BD-49298BB6781E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 4E5BD863-8661-438C-91CD-C5EA8C05A66B.jpeg
    4E5BD863-8661-438C-91CD-C5EA8C05A66B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17

slatham

Great day at magic today, early runs there was so much untracked it was crazy. I mostly stuck to the hallows as it appeared no one was skiing in there.
Yes after the logging and then volunteer clearing the Hallows have become something very special.

Atomic

Another killer Thursday - whole mountain is locked up solid with creamy soft on top all day. Trail pic is looking back up Heart of Magician - bumped-up playground.

1613093460422.png

1613094454738.png

Attachments

• IMG-1781.jpg
    IMG-1781.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG-1790.jpg
    IMG-1790.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited: