• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

SkiingInABlueDream

Well Feb 14 2014 was a Friday and it was a huge powder day - 18”+. My wife told me to go ahead and ski magic. Not a day I’ll forget.

edit - based on some pics I just looked at Black wasn’t running.
I looked up my photos and notes. Yes - 2/14/14 is the day I was referring to! And yep, 18". Perhaps you're better at finding powder than I am but I do remember everything being verry filled in. The "drops" on Redline were basically rollovers with maybe just a foot of rock to hop over. Top of Magician was roped off all day but completely covered with smooth windbuff. We'll have to agree to disagree on what chairs were running - I have several photos of a well-loaded Black, taken while riding it. But it seems I mis-remembered about Red; I have photos showing Red chairs loaded with 18" of snow, at 1:30 (PM;)). Im actually very surprised I had forgotten that - one of my highlights from the day was skiing Redline with no audience overhead.

NYDB

It's a lovely day here. Light snow/ snow showers all day so far. Coming down pretty good right now. Trails that were groomed this week are super nice.

Natural terrain sure looks nice, but the hard crust is lurking under the 4-5" of new light snow so it is super technical. Took an early run down broomstick to bl and it was ok on the flatter bits but the steeper stuff is still fucked. Skiable but not the funnest with the death crust lurking.

Dipped into a few tree shots but the crust is nfg.

Nice light crowd today. 5min or less wait for red

ne_skier

You guys think there’s any chance of some more ungroomed opening up soon? With no snow in the forecast seems like it just has to be skied down

NYDB

Its possible.

By the end of the day there were tracks on everything except redline, pitch black, magician, witch and goniff.

Where there were tracks on natural steeper stuff it just scraped it back down to the ice/crust. The snow that fell was very light and fluffy.

Imo the best bet is to stay off it and after the (hopefully) snow Monday and warm up mid week maybe there will be some sort of bonding process with the crust layer.

JoeB-Z

Witch and Goniff were open today, including Witch down to Black Line. A number of people poached Red Line. The groomed surfaces on the West side were really nice. Very easy skiing. A Dad was taking his maybe 7 year old daughter down Talisman for what looked like a first time and he picked a great day for it, She was having a ball. Sorceror is in great shape also. Talisman will be closed tomorrow until the race is over.

ne_skier

All trails reopened except for Black Magic. Sounds like a vague question but I’ve been hearing it a lot from friends, do the bumps seem more firm than they were a week ago? I’d have to assume so, haven’t been following Magic’s weather too closely though

KustyTheKlown

All trails reopened except for Black Magic. Sounds like a vague question but I’ve been hearing it a lot from friends, do the bumps seem more firm than they were a week ago? I’d have to assume so, haven’t been following Magic’s weather too closely though
I’m on red chair now. There’s like 4” of blower on top of a very firm ice crust layer. If you poke the snow your pole stops at the ice, if you apply some force you burst thru to the old dry powder below. It’s sporty skiing. The low angle glades where you can float along are quite nice and basically untouched. Steeper terrain is fuckin sporty tho. Still a ton of snow and we just need more to bury the crud layer. Gorgeous day today and a nice size crowd for magic without the lines being tooooo crazy

JoeB-Z

To agree on sporty, I saw two guys on boards in the woods off Red Line yesterday. They worked back toward the trail rather quickly. And they look like good boarders.

ThatGuy

The low angle glades were great today and still have lots of untracked snow.

Attachments

• 6E936D42-D7B7-40C0-A641-DE2A6927A21D.jpeg
    6E936D42-D7B7-40C0-A641-DE2A6927A21D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20

RustyGroomer

I've somehow finally convinced the lady it's worth it to get out early.
152552006_10225503268672266_8889744093642259565_o.jpg

151740249_10225503286672716_5384573745221782276_o.jpg

ne_skier

Looked at the forecast and today might bring 3-5 for downtown Londonderry, probably some more on the mountain. If they don't open up early this week Thursday would be a pretty good day to be skiing

ThatGuy

Snow was pretty good today even after the warmth. Not sure how it will be after freezing temps tonight and the weekends rain but hoping the best.

Attachments

• AE5534CD-4BBA-4A11-844A-40C74328003E.jpeg
    AE5534CD-4BBA-4A11-844A-40C74328003E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13

NYDB

Question on uphill routes - the current mandatory uphill route follows the timberridge return trail (a popular snowmobile route) for a bit before it turns back towards magic at the intersection. Can get a bit too exciting getting buzzed by snowmobiles for a short bit.

Are there any plans to create a route through the woods up there at some point that doesn't follow the old Timberridge return trail?

Do Work

Question on uphill routes - the current mandatory uphill route follows the timberridge return trail (a popular snowmobile route) for a bit before it turns back towards magic at the intersection. Can get a bit too exciting getting buzzed by snowmobiles for a short bit.

Are there any plans to create a route through the woods up there at some point that doesn't follow the old Timberridge return trail?

I'd love to utilize more of the old logging routes that crisscross over on that side to keep all traffic both off the trail and on our property, but it'll take a lot of work to get passable. Maybe this summer but I'm not holding my breath.

ThatGuy

If anyone is skiing today how are the conditions holding up? Yesterday was really nice with the temps hovering around freezing.