• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Yesterday was a great day at Magic. Slow to soften but did so in late am low (lapped Green a few times to take and advantage) and all sun exposed elevations into the afternoon. Ideal day to keep lifts going until 5 and the T-bar (its a bar, not a lift) until 6 or later. East side natural trails have good cover. Twilight has cover but never softened up - today's the day for that and Goniff. HOM and Black Line doable but have to navigate open ground, rocks, etc. Classic Magic. Get it while you can as this week does not look to be very friendly to snow cover. Snowmaking trails look strong but I am not sure any naturals will make it through the week. Hope I'm wrong. Forecast is for a late week rain storm which is good - forecasts of late have been so poor it's sure to either not happen or snow!

slatham

They have groomed Bromstick but maybe not the last couple of days due to snow loss on HOM and Blackline. Yesterday it was obvious it has been groomed recently.

NYDB

Broomstick was definitely groomed recently down to hom.

Past there it was pure magic adventure riding.

Sat was definitely slow to soften. There was a cool wind blowing up high.

But it all softened up nicely sun afternoon.

Blackline laps were superb.

ne_skier

Twilight and Hans were rough but fun nonetheless, lets hope the weather cooperates to hold on to what base we have left

JoeB-Z

Grooming on Broomstick is of course, great. I am getting older and slower. I have to say I had a bit of a pucker factor with my tips over the left hand edge and looking down at the drop to the trees after a clumsy turn. While safety is always forefront at Magic these days, take warnings seriously,

JoeB-Z

I hope there will be a way down next weekend. The weather looks scary.

slatham

I find it likely they close all natural trails but snowmaking trails remain open for next weekend.

slatham

If I had a dollar for each time the models called for snow in 7+ days...

That said this one does seem better represented and consistent across models. But again, 7 days.....

JoeB-Z

3/24 OPERATIONS UPDATE: These multiple 60 degree days are certainly taking a toll on snowpack, especially around the base area. While there is still snow on many of the all-natural trails and snowmaking trails, more and more patches are beginning to show. The forecast is for rain tonight, then close to 70 tomorrow followed by rain Thursday night into Friday with possible T-storms and temps again into upper 60s. In order to preserve snowpack for the weekend when temps are a bit cooler and we have our Spring Fling Saturday, we will not be open Thursday or Friday as it is best to keep folks and equipment off the slopes. We normally go to weekends-only this time of year so that’s what we will do. We will also be closing the terrain park for the season as some of that snow will be needed in the base area. The weather people seem to be telling us in no uncertain terms, with no snow yet in March, that the season is drawing to a close here, so this way we can still be open this weekend and next. See you Saturday!

dblskifanatic

The ski areas are all making adjustments! Larger ski areas will have trails that stay open longer but the trail counts are dropping fast! Having been in Colorado where things are more consistent at higher elevation, I forgot how New England gets impacted by weather.

NYDB

Yeah, A Basin has a slight base elevation advantage over Magic.

Glad I made it last weekend for a great couple days.

Last edited:

ne_skier

Read the updated report, not looking great. At least Hans might still be open however. Anyone know anything about the race they’re talking about?

ThatGuy

Read the updated report, not looking great. At least Hans might still be open however. Anyone know anything about the race they’re talking about?
From the wording it sounds like the race may not even be happening.