• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ThatGuy

Has Magic always run Thurs-Sun or did that only turn up post-reopening?
I believe it started out 7 day, then went to Mon-Fri and when Bromley owned it the current schedule was put in place. Im not 100% sure on that though.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If the Work From Home trend continues as pretty much everyone believes it will it would probably make sense to be open midweek.

Magic probably has some of the least overhead midweek out of any ski area in the region. They do minimal grooming/snowmaking and run 3 lifts. Your average "bump" is gonna spend more $$$ grooming, making snow, and spinning lifts on a random Tuesday mid-season than Magic.

slatham

If the Work From Home trend continues as pretty much everyone believes it will it would probably make sense to be open midweek.

Magic probably has some of the least overhead midweek out of any ski area in the region. They do minimal grooming/snowmaking and run 3 lifts. Your average "bump" is gonna spend more $$$ grooming, making snow, and spinning lifts on a random Tuesday mid-season than Magic.
I agree with your first point.

Your second point of minimal snowmaking and grooming is an old view and no longer valid. Magic makes a lot of snow and grooms a lot of terrain and this will only increase as planned once Quad is running. Also note that two big and visible trails (Show Off and Hocus Pocus) were offline early and once online it was too late with too much natural snow to spend the money. Those trails only "missed" the last weekend as it turns out.

While not like the big guys, when you compare what they do to the number of skier visits it is a substantial ratio.

On another question raised above, Magic did run Fri-Mon for several/many years at least during the Sullivan era, maybe before.

Pez

to see the comeback of places like this and berkshire east is awesome. anyone know if there are long term plans to re open the timber ridge side?

ThatGuy

to see the comeback of places like this and berkshire east is awesome. anyone know if there are long term plans to re open the timber ridge side?
I believe its not a priority but a possibility. Its not owned by Magic anymore but theres still backcountry access. No chairlifts or anything over there anymore so it would be an expensive project.

ne_skier

A return to Timberside is possible, but it's a long way out. Magic does not currently own the property, and there are no lifts remaining. The former double chair went to Smugglers and I'm not sure where the T-Bar went. They'd obviously have to purchase a chairlift at least 3700' in length, a used triple or quad would do. If they wanted to go overkill, they could also install a T-Bar on the former liftline, that being approx 1300' in length. One of the big issues that proved to be the downfall of Timberside back in the late 80s was the connector trails. For essentially two separate mountains to be marketed as one, you need to have a convenient and reliable connection between them. Unless Magic wanted to invest in a Slide Brook-type lift connecting the peaks, the connector trails are the way to go. Based solely on what I have seen on the Timberside to Magic connector's exit onto Up Your Sleeve, some re-grading and widening may be needed, as it would need to be skiable by those of all abilities. Also, it would likely be imperative to install snowmaking on these trails, as natural snow isn't reliable enough to keep the trails open, especially during bad winters. This exact problem is what was happening with the connector trails before the bankruptcy, with bad snowfalls leading to the connector trails often being bare.
If that was too long and annoying to read, basically they'd have to purchase the land, purchase a lift, do significant trail work, and install a ton of snowmaking to make it work. Certainly doable over a good stretch of time, it really depends on whether or not it's in Magic's best interest. No clue what the terrain is like over there.

KustyTheKlown

it also faces south right? a ton of snowmaking to make that side viable. as far as i know, some hippie owns it, has the occasional concert or rainbow gathering type shindig. also does a bit of snowmobile/cat powered private skiing, and has hosted a banked slalom snowboard event a few times.

NYDB

Terrain over there is mostly flat but interesting. I like it as is. Whoever owns it allows access and keeps the ski trails trimmed but keeps the snowmobiles off of the ski trails. Did a few lift assisted ‘tours’ over there this winter with my 12 year old. He really enjoyed it.

I know there are some tree runs that go more south - north which is a better pitch, but the main mountain is blue-green in pitch. Still a nice change of pace and unique in so vt.

ne_skier

Timberside faces dead east based on what I saw on google maps (satellite). Openskimap also says the terrain over there is much more mellow than Magic

Pez

Thanks for the info. ya, probably never happen. I skied that side once in like 88 or so. fun over there, but yes more mellow than the magic side.

ne_skier

Especially with the terrain offered over there not being more challenging than what Magic already has and the costs involved, I don't see it being in their best interest in decades. I'd expect to see a chairlift in the beginner area or a more sophisticated terrain park lift before that's even considered.

ThatGuy

Especially with the terrain offered over there not being more challenging than what Magic already has and the costs involved, I don't see it being in their best interest in decades. I'd expect to see a chairlift in the beginner area or a more sophisticated terrain park lift before that's even considered.
There’s definitely some things that can be improved first. It would be nice if Magic eventually offered a van/bus ride back fron Timberside if you went back there though.

ne_skier

Perhaps it can be something you can schedule on their website and maybe pay a small fee for. It all depends on whether or not the property owner cares about Magic essentially using their property to make money. If the owner doesn't care, I think such could actually be fairly popular, among skilled skiers of course, not to mention another way for Magic to put themselves out there among expert skiers

JoeB-Z

Passes available 4/15. Note there will be a pass limit this year. Also it would be tempting to raise the price as the limit approaches. Not to say that will happen.

"While pass holders will not have to make a reservation here, we are for the first time ever, also setting limits on the number of season passes we sell as this also effects crowd-size at our ski area. We have seen tremendous growth in season pass holders here since SKI MAGIC LLC purchased and made investments into the mountain (quadrupled the number of pass holders)."