• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

This would've been a nice storm to have like 3 weeks earlier. The mountain had already been cleared and swept and I doubt they're going to want to put all the stuff that they spent all of the last day taking down right back up again. Completely regardless of the snowfall, someone made a good point on the Sugarbush Thread yesterday about this, in that especially with most mountains in New England being closed there's little demand for skiing. Most people have moved on to spring activities, whether that be golf, youth sports, etc and most seasonal rentals have expired. Not enough turnout to justify it all.

slatham

This would've been a nice storm to have like 3 weeks earlier. The mountain had already been cleared and swept and I doubt they're going to want to put all the stuff that they spent all of the last day taking down right back up again. Completely regardless of the snowfall, someone made a good point on the Sugarbush Thread yesterday about this, in that especially with most mountains in New England being closed there's little demand for skiing. Most people have moved on to spring activities, whether that be golf, youth sports, etc and most seasonal rentals have expired. Not enough turnout to justify it all.
Also some summer projects have started that might eliminate possibility of running lifts etc.

dblskifanatic

That applies to areas that do have plenty of snow left. In Colorado, many ski areas are closing not because of lack of snow, but because of the lack of interest because of the same points mentioned above. There is enough interest to keep a few going, hence, Breck and A Basin remain open in May with a boatload of terrain left.

KustyTheKlown

my understanding is that places out west tend to have their closings most dictated by us forest service rules and permits and such

raisingarizona

my understanding is that places out west tend to have their closings most dictated by us forest service rules and permits and such
A lot do for wildlife concerns etc. but there’s many that don’t have super strict agreements. Our hill generally stays open for as long as conditions are permitting. We are open Thursday thru Sunday’s for April and in big years we have weekends in May. And yup, I’m in Arizona!

screenshot of the AZ gondola from the webcam right now

Attachments

• A99EB459-CDBB-4B08-99FD-0BAEAA305CC6.png
    A99EB459-CDBB-4B08-99FD-0BAEAA305CC6.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 19

dblskifanatic

This is true and another factor is the departure of foreign workers that start to head back to the Southern Hemisphere or are prepping for summer positions.

JoeB-Z

Its very likely the Green lift will be open Saturday only if they get enough snow. Ski it as it lies, T-Bar for food and the bar will be open.

slatham

Its very likely the Green lift will be open Saturday only if they get enough snow. Ski it as it lies, T-Bar for food and the bar will be open.

Yup, the Magic Weather team was brought back together for an encore yesterday. Key question/callenge/worry is accumulation in base area. Very elevation dependent. Warm bare ground. That said whatever falls with be thick cement so resilient. I do not know what amount they need to green-light green, but at least 6". My comment yesterday was 3" at base, 12" at summit, while high summits could approach 18". Storm has shifted slightly east so maybe a tad colder so 6" maybe 8" at base is *possible*. But its gonna be close.....

KustyTheKlown

nice! hoping we get an overproducing storm and red spins sunday. saves me a drive in the wrong direction!

urungus

Would be awesome if they could reopen for one last blast, even if it’s just the Green Chair. Fingers crossed.