• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Do Work

Can you carry it or tow on a patrol toboggan?

It all fits right into a backpack! 24lbs total. Gives you power to run 18ish 3/32" 7018 rods between 30 minute charge cycles, so a single charge is more than enough for most hatch & patch repairs. Bigger jobs only require 2kw gen, down from 9kw- Very cool and at that point even the generator could be carried.

KustyTheKlown

Sounds like Black is coming along nicely. Magic with no lines will be...well…magical

seriously. if capacity and tickets are based on the carrying capacity of red last year during covid, then having black online in addition to the capacity regulation will make for a truly dreamy experience. my sunday magic pass is such a great part of my pass quiver. shortens my drive home every weekend and magic is the best.

friendly recommendation to the magic team - run at least one summit lift at 8 or 8:30 am on sat and sun. on sundays I'm trying to hit it early, ski hard til 1, and be home by 6. that extra 30-60 min in the morning would be tremendous.

KustyTheKlown

you may be right. i always want earlier tho. i am incapable of sleeping late. especially after skiing hard > drinking/pot/food. i pass out at 9 PM and am fully rested and awake at 5. I should do more touring, I'm already used to the early ups.

slatham

Do Work, thanks for all the updates (and hard work). Saturday volunteer day was a lot of fun with a great team on the hill. Nice spread too with donuts/coffee and then burgers/dogs/beers. Getting a ride in the new Magic "limo" was pretty sweet too!

The lines we cleared will be ultra sweet this winter. Great intermediate pitch with several sections to connect for close to TTB woods runs. Can't wait for the 9th - hope we follow through from our discussion and hit the West Side.

Best of luck with the lifts!

slatham

Was Hugh Conway there volunteering? :p
Ha, no. He was aimlessly hiking around the Black Chair. I think he was looking for tower 13 but I'm not sure he can count that high (and they haven't numbered the towers yet LOL).......

NYDB

If anybody has specific questions I'm happy to try to answer them as best I can. I knw there's an astronomical amount happening all at once and it can get confusing but we are doing our best, and we're here to try to keep you all as informed as we can.
Will black be spinning for 2021 xmas week?

Do Work

Will black be spinning for 2021 xmas week?

We're doing everything we can to make that goal a reality and I don't see any reason why we wouldn't, but I'll be the last one to set hard delivery guarantees given the obviously fickle nature of the beast at hand. I'm happy to keep everyone updated on progress as we make advancements, and I'll try to keep communicating as best I can.

Tin

The lines we cleared will be ultra sweet this winter. Great intermediate pitch with several sections to connect for close to TTB woods runs. Can't wait for the 9th - hope we follow through from our discussion and hit the West Side.

I swear the Hollows and Wardrobe need more annual cleaning than most of the unmarked stuff on the west side. Damn conifers.

skithetrees

We're doing everything we can to make that goal a reality and I don't see any reason why we wouldn't, but I'll be the last one to set hard delivery guarantees given the obviously fickle nature of the beast at hand. I'm happy to keep everyone updated on progress as we make advancements, and I'll try to keep communicating as best I can.
The amount of things that you guys have going on at one time right now boggles my mind. I can’t imagine tackling all of that and give you major credit for doing so. I am hoping for the best and also being realistic about the timeline here. Either way, extremely excited about the upcoming season.

Do Work

I swear the Hollows and Wardrobe need more annual cleaning than most of the unmarked stuff on the west side. Damn conifers.

It's true! They're HUGE areas and with how bushy those conifers get, it takes a lot to keep up with them. We are planning to hit the west side for the last FoM work day FYI, and I'm hoping to get more days of prep cutting done leading into it. Looking like a two-pronged attack plan so I hope we get a good turnout!

Next year we are planning to make SERIOUS increases in allocations to tree skiing maintenance though, and I'm really excited to spend some real time out in the woods again. This place has so much skiable terrain, we're really barely scratching the surface of what's possible.