• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

RustyGroomer

Anyone thinking of a visit this weekend? I'll be skiing starting tomorrow afternoon.

xwhaler

Magic was incredible today. Some really adventurous skiing but great coverage all over the mtn.
6f11071094c9b47adc6daf3742828102.jpg
b9a4aaa174de0017e461bc62e0815998.jpg
bfc1d7e7ffce9d1a071bb3c0c6fae056.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Hope Magic gets back on board with the Mountain Sports Club for next year. I try to ski on BOGOs or cheap passes all the time. I don't scrape down the trails and I buy lunch and a couple beers so it's worth your while :)

(I realize there is Thursday deals and random deals so it's far from difficult to ski Magic on a budget)

machski

Hope Magic gets back on board with the Mountain Sports Club for next year. I try to ski on BOGOs or cheap passes all the time. I don't scrape down the trails and I buy lunch and a couple beers so it's worth your while :)

(I realize there is Thursday deals and random deals so it's far from difficult to ski Magic on a budget)
They are on Liftopia you know. You can buy for Friday now for just $34. Considering they are trying to get re-established, that is not a bad price.

mriceyman

How are the woods playing.. also havent checked in here in awhile but has the black chair had any progress

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Woods were skiing nice on Thursday last week but all locked up on Friday which was to be expected given the thaw, freeze cycle.
The base is quite good all across the mtn and 6" (or even less) would open up a lot and make Magic ski very nicely.
Looks like 2-4" could be the play for tomorrow/Wed.

Black was running during testing on both days I was there last week. Rumor I heard is they are trying to get it running for Feb vaca week.

slatham

Base is solid but some snow is necessary for ungroomed terrain. Some trails/woods don't need much and if the clipper delivers 2-4" that will help. But some of the steeper terrain will need more. Ironically, the terrain that was skied MORE needs less natural as the solid base was loosened up via skiing (Twilight and Goniff). Terrain that was not skied has a solid and very slick surface that needs something of more substance - either via more depth or heavier snow.

Note that they have groomed all beginner and intermediate terrain on East Side (plus Wizard) which all skied great. A couple of inches and its in primo condition. Also, they plan to make snow on Talisman this week so that will have a good skiable (maybe groomed?) surface this weekend.

Of course everyone could benefit from a good old dump!

I heard that the black chair may need more work. However, this is driven by the desire to do it right and not just get it spinning one weekend. Personally, I would rather not have it spin all year if it meant it was consistently running in the future.

With what I've seen with snowmaking, bar upgrades, rental equipment etc. the new ownership is playing the long game, which after five years of sticks and duct tape is 100% cool with me.

Despite my handle, I am not affiliated with the hill. But if you haven't come and checked out the progress please do. There is still more work to do, but hopefully you will see the path they are on and be encouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

RustyGroomer

Well said. FYI, I heard the skiing is fantastic today. Every week has improved & it's wonderful to see. I can't ski tomorrow but will be out Saturday am.

slatham

Magicsnowboarder that is spot on. I had the opportunity to spend a couple of minutes with JM and one of the lift mechanics (Tom?) last week and their goal is to fix everything the proper way and thus have a solid and documented "baseline" from which to work off going forward. This should make inspections and fixes in subsequent years that much easier because you know what was done, why and by whom. That is why it is taking so long. I hope they can get Black running for Presidents week (as they do!). I know some people will not venture over without two lifts running (I rode with one such person last weekend at Bromley) and Magic needs to capture this clientele.

RG, skiing this weekend should be sweet! Wish I could get up there but the odds are not in my favor......

Jully

Why exactly won't someone venture over there without two working lifts? Are they afraid of crowds?

slatham

Why exactly won't someone venture over there without two working lifts? Are they afraid of crowds?

In one case they had experienced long lines over a holiday weekend when a race was also held. In another case it was an issue with the one lift running (Which didn't run for hours) several years ago. So crowds and redundancy.

I also ran into someone recently who said Red was too slow and they need a high speed quad. He's not part of the target market! The other two are.

dmw

I may hit Magic Saturday with other first time Magic visitors, may need to sell them on the idea - what do you think of lift lines this weekend, I think I may have seen some mention of a race?

Also considering Bromley and then Stratton Sunday - never been to any of them so pretty stoked.

Sorcerer

I may hit Magic Saturday with other first time Magic visitors, may need to sell them on the idea - what do you think of lift lines this weekend, I think I may have seen some mention of a race?

Also considering Bromley and then Stratton Sunday - never been to any of them so pretty stoked.

Magic has races most weekends. Other than closing of Showoff, they don't impact too much. Lift lines so far this year have been minimal. Stratton, on weekends, has really big crowds. Go early before it gets skied off.

Sorcerer

In one case they had experienced long lines over a holiday weekend when a race was also held. In another case it was an issue with the one lift running (Which didn't run for hours) several years ago. So crowds and redundancy.

I also ran into someone recently who said Red was too slow and they need a high speed quad. He's not part of the target market! The other two are.

The Red Lift takes 12 to 13 minutes to go a mile and there's seldom much of a line (even with one chair running). A high speed quad takes 6 or 7 minutes and is usually a bit less than a mile long and you usually spend more than that in line so...