• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

x10003q

Wow, the traditional Magic bad luck rears its ugly head again. What a bummer. Hopefully, the rest of this runs smoothly.

camberstick

The soul of this place is undeniable, seems the bad luck is too some times. Hope to introduce my family to the beauty of red chair and the whole scene this year.keep up the good work magic!

JoeB-Z

If the new management had not come in, Magic would be NELSAP. Red bigtime rebuild needed, no green, no black. Sullivan couldn't swipe enough and that other guy was shoestring level as the deal was delayed.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think the best thing for Magic's future would be a co-op like MRG. The place has enough of a following I think it could be successful.

An influx of $$$ can't fix bad luck... but on the flipside $$$ can certainly prevent a lot of bad luck.

slatham

I think the best thing for Magic's future would be a co-op like MRG. The place has enough of a following I think it could be successful.

An influx of $$$ can't fix bad luck... but on the flipside $$$ can certainly prevent a lot of bad luck.
Funding is not the issue. Bad luck, contractor issues, old and poorly maintained infrastructure (by prior owners). Unless you want funding such that Dopp comes in and installs a brand new HSQ and then Magic isn’t Magic.......

Newpylong

Not only that, the co-op or non-profit model is not always the solution. In fact, in my experience it rarely is. The biggest issue is any time a group of individuals or a board shares management responsibility nothing gets done because everyone has their own vision.

Bad luck never ends but it will begin to diminish as the infrastructure improves.

IceEidolon

Honestly with the current weather forecast and with snowmaking on LMC not Wand, missing the Red deadline by a week probably doesn't meaningfully change when the summit opens. I think it looks more and more likely the Vertigo rehab was very, very timely since that can get blown in much faster than Wand + Hocus Pocus or even just Upper Magic Carpet. All hail Green Lift, the early season champion!

I'm glad all these issues get caught in the preseason rather than being found on a Wednesday powder day opening.

slatham

Honestly with the current weather forecast and with snowmaking on LMC not Wand, missing the Red deadline by a week probably doesn't meaningfully change when the summit opens. I think it looks more and more likely the Vertigo rehab was very, very timely since that can get blown in much faster than Wand + Hocus Pocus or even just Upper Magic Carpet. All hail Green Lift, the early season champion!

I'm glad all these issues get caught in the preseason rather than being found on a Wednesday powder day opening.

Yes with the current long range forecast - which at a macro level has strong agreement among models to be warmer than normal for the next 2 weeks - the reality would likely have been Green only. This is especially so with desire to have new beginner area and terrain park open too. And lets face it, LMC, Vertigo, Park, Beginner area would not be a bad mid-December opening.

HOPEFULLY Pfister can take advantage of low/no snowpack and get the difficult Black tower 13 work done. Getting the crane to tower 13 is a tough ask in the best of conditions........(side note, I have odds that if they do get it there, it stays for winter).

slatham

Splice today. Significant progress on Red. Lets hope the gear manufacturer delivers on time and to spec.

I'd say crane not rented. Its been in Lot B since at least late August.

Newpylong

I only ask because, if it's rented, it's not staying there all winter. Likely something Tim felt he could use for other installations or sell after this.

Newpylong

That is awesome, way to go Magic, that trail is super fun. Don't see it ready for opening weekend though, this week coming up looks abysmal. Any snowmaking window is going to be Rat central and brief. LMC is going to take a hit too.

Last edited:

slatham

Yes the forecast between now and opening does not show much if any snowmaking temps at Magic base elevation hence they were a bit more aggressive than usual this week to get some down (aka rats vs HKD). Looking at the long range, with normal caveats of lack of accuracy, there looks to be a pattern change around opening weekend so they might get a window that weekend to augment. Hell maybe it’ll even snow. Whenever that change occurs I hope it locks in for the holidays!

IceEidolon

One day of production won't open the trail, but something might last from those piles. And at least the guns and hoses are laid out and the pipe has been tested in real conditions.

In their shoes I'd plan to run Lower Magic Carpet anyway come next snowmaking window to shore up any weak spots grooming/opening weekend reveals after the melt. Pulling 6 guns onto Vertigo for 48/60 hours isn't nothing, but that can open way faster than Trick or Mystery. EDIT: Whoops, I meant Medium, not Mystery.

Last edited:

Newpylong

I would too, especially that run out. Better to shore up what's open than to expand, given the ups and downs so far... Saturday looks bad and there is another 50+ day mid week though it's far out still. So annoying.