• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

As for snow, keep in mind we had absolutely zero a year ago from now, and we didn’t get the whole mountain open till the double snowstorms on MLK. Hope’s still out there, or at least I think

IceEidolon

How often do lifts fail a load test?

Also, I'm assuming this test uses Bromley's borrowed barrels - if so, thanks to them.

Newpylong

I've been part of a failed test and it's usually due to the braking system. Filling up and emptying those barrels sure stinks.

Always a fingers crossed type of event but assuming no fluke issues, they do the maintenace where they will pass just fine.

IceEidolon

I've always been busy trying to get old York stuff fixed during load test season, thanks for the insight.

NYDB

After an early lunch I took my youngest today to grab the passes and to take a few laps on green.

Fast n Firm for sure with the expected icy patches but decent for the weather.

I wasn’t too inquisitive about red but looked like the load test was happening later. We left at 2ish and i didn’t see any real movement.

hope it went well.

JoeB-Z

There is a problem with the work road and access by the crane. So Wand is out and Broomstick is out. They say they are working on Upper Trick and Magic Carpet.

skiur

There is a problem with the work road and access by the crane. So Wand is out and Broomstick is out. They say they are working on Upper Trick and Magic Carpet.

What's the problem?

cdskier

Did Red pass?

From Facebook...
Good progress on Red as state lift inspector put her through a battery of tests and her new haul rope, new drive and new shaft are looking good! Due to length of time for Load testing (barrels filled with 399 lbs of water on 83 chairs), and the need for daylight during testing, that portion of state approval process will start at 7am tomorrow. Hope to have it done and ready for skiers if all goes well for sometime in the afternoon.

ne_skier

After an early lunch I took my youngest today to grab the passes and to take a few laps on green.

Fast n Firm for sure with the expected icy patches but decent for the weather.

I wasn’t too inquisitive about red but looked like the load test was happening later. We left at 2ish and i didn’t see any real movement.

hope it went well.
Looked on the webcam and saw Red spinning around 3 without barrels on chairs, looked to be going design speed.

NYDB

Plus I would say that a lot of the east side could get open with some dense snow maybe 8” +/- (which is crazy with how little snow has fallen season to date ) but mother nature is dropping an inch of rain Sat into Sun instead.

JoeB-Z

They need to get the crane over it so they are reluctant to make snow on it would be my guess.
Reading the latest Facebook posts I think Geoff is throwing in the towel for Black this winter. I'm going tomorrow.

slatham

UMC into Medium is ready to go from what I understand. They are now working on upper Trick into the "through the woods" section of UMC. I am sure they are doing this as it can use the LMC run to the base, as they have not made snow on Wand into Show Off or Hocus Pocus.

Given snowmaking on "Through the Woods" they obviously are not trying keep the work road clear. While I am not sure what they did on UMC, you COULD open this on skiers right and keep work road clear. That is not possible IMHO in the Through the Woods section - too narrow. What this means about the status of Black is anyone's guess (my guess is either next season, or using a helicopter for Tower 13).

After Trick/TTW's is done, the rest of key east side runs should go relatively quickly - assuming good temps - as they can use both 300 and 400 water loops. So lower Trick and Wand on 400 and Hocus Pocus and Show Off on 300.

A change in the weather pattern would be welcome right now but it seems at least a week away....

IceEidolon

I know it's possible but a huge pain to haul tracked/wheeled vehicles up a snow covered trail using several cats, and it's also possible to strip a trail down to basically bare then push clean snow over the bare spot afterwards. Is it plausable they now expect to drag the crane up one of the hard ways?

drjeff

I know it's possible but a huge pain to haul tracked/wheeled vehicles up a snow covered trail using several cats, and it's also possible to strip a trail down to basically bare then push clean snow over the bare spot afterwards. Is it plausable they now expect to drag the crane up one of the hard ways?

I am guessing that if the cost/benefit return ratio makes fiscal sense, that there's a company with the proper machinery to get the job done, regardless of how much snow may need to be moved in the short term to make it happen.

If Magic has one thing going for it with respect to trying to get that tower on the Black taken care of in the near future, it's that with the limited snowpack thus far, if they try and drag a crane up there, it's got more of a solid surface to be dragged over than say if there was a couple of feet of snow (of any type) on the ground right now

Newpylong

I say throw the towel in on it and get the coverage down and move on with the season. Off-season construction is far less costly and their crews have been through the ringer so far it seems.