• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

benski

Considering going to Magic for the first time Saturday. Any advice. Also considering going to Gore.

RustyGroomer

DMW, benski. Come find me. I am an official on-mountain ambassador this year.

Smellytele

DMW, benski. Come find me. I am an official on-mountain ambassador this year.

With a Magic jacket and everything?

On a side note: I was skiing at Pats Peak before Christmas and this guy with a Magic instructor's jacket on was about to get on the lift and dropped his pole. He tried to pick it up in a panicked kind of way like someone in a horror movie trying to get their keys in the ignition before the rabid dog gets them. Anyway the chair came up and took him out. I think he then said "I am a trained professional, don't try this at home."

RustyGroomer

Sadly no Magic jacket. I got an armband I have yet to pick up. Seriously, you guys want to ski? This is why they "hired" me. I'm the on-mountain ambassador.

Lines shouldn't be an issue. At least they have not been all year.

Savemeasammy

I'll be there for the Freeride event tomorrow with 2 kids. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Sadly no Magic jacket. I got an armband I have yet to pick up. Seriously, you guys want to ski? This is why they "hired" me. I'm the on-mountain ambassador.

Lines shouldn't be an issue. At least they have not been all year.

Around Sunday?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Red Lift takes 12 to 13 minutes to go a mile and there's seldom much of a line (even with one chair running). A high speed quad takes 6 or 7 minutes and is usually a bit less than a mile long and you usually spend more than that in line so...
Generally speaking yes, but not always. I've certainly spent 20+ minutes waiting in line for Madonna at Smuggs and 30+ for Sterling.

I know it will never happen, but I wonder what Magic would be like with a HSQ? Would it become like other Southern VT areas with massive lines or would it be like Wildcat and hardly ever have a line longer than a few minutes. This past Sunday at Wildcat was intolerable. From 10-Noon the singles line got to be a 4-5 minute wait. It was a real struggle.[emoji38]

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

RustyGroomer

Forgot about the jr' Freeriders. That will be fun to see. Witch is ready for them. Send a PM but I suck @ phone stuff in VT. If for some reason I do not reply, I will be there. Ask a bartender for Greg, NOT Rusty :). Upstairs round table. Always upstairs.

RustyGroomer

Triple post can't edit.

Ask Dave (lifty) to point me out too. He's so good he'll let you know what #chair I'm on if in front of you.

Generally speaking yes, but not always. I've certainly spent 20+ minutes waiting in line for Madonna at Smuggs and 30+ for Sterling.

I know it will never happen, but I wonder what Magic would be like with a HSQ? Would it become like other Southern VT areas with massive lines or would it be like Wildcat and hardly ever have a line longer than a few minutes. This past Sunday at Wildcat was intolerable. From 10-Noon the singles line got to be a 4-5 minute wait. It was a real struggle.[emoji38]

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

It will never happen. My guess is the hill will limit lift ticket sales before investing in a HSQ.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

RustyGroomer

Anyone worried about crowds,....take a look @ the webcam today. Also note current fire power on Talisman. They are lighting it up now.

JoeB-Z

Anyone want a set of Burt binding plates in celebration of Retro Day? I'll have them in the car tomorrow. PM or look for the fellow with bright orange, non-retro, pants. Or if skiing, no pole plants on the right. Surgery on the 20th so my sort of ski season is winding down. Really looking forward to Talisman. A favorite.

Joe

slatham

So bummed I missed the most impressive display of snowmaking that Magic has ever seen! Someone post some more eye candy for those who couldn't make it!

JoeB-Z

Sorry. I was having too much fun skiing the whales to take pictures of it but great fun was had by all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

The snow from the HKD guns on Talisman had a different quality also. Very much like medium density Eastern natural. Yes it was really cold and that helps but this wasnot the man made I am mostly familiar with. It was a blizzard too. So many great runs today. The East side was really well groomed. I showed up at noon and everything skied well. Wizard had been improved everywhere except the last pitch. Sorcerer was fun. I guess Sorcerer was natural that had been groomed. Edgeable everywhere. Just not a bad run today. I had the chance to thank Matt Cote at the top of the upper Wizard chute.

Keelhauled

I'll be there tomorrow. Been a couple years since I was last at Magic, hopefully it's as good as I remember.

Skied Magic this past Friday for the first time in 20+ years. I was thoroughly impressed with the terrain and snow quality! 13 runs in 4.5 hours on both east and west side. Talisman wasn't yet open due to ongoing snowmaking, but they were pounding it. Great mountain with lots of varied terrain for all skiers. Can't wait to get back.