• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

The original blue/black lift was installed in 1961 as a REINSTALL AND RED FOLLOWED 10 years later.
Blue was installed in 1962 and was not a reinstall. It was made by a German brand (Pohlig) which merged and went out of business soon after. Pretty much from the start there was zero spare parts supply, hence its wonky modifications. It was then rightly removed when the opportunity came up to replace it. Red was made by Heron, a major US brand at the time. The only modification to it was Tower 18A and spare parts are still around for Heron lifts. Several operate out west and parts can be remanufactured.
Not at all sure what connection you’re making here or where you are getting these facts from. If you’re looking for reliable lift info sources feel free to ask.
until then I wouldn’t get on that thing again if you put a gun to my head
We aren’t trying to convince you to ride it. Feel free to live how you wish. I pity someone who is as picky about what lifts they ride as you are

Wrong. The towers at the very least were installed previously at another mountain. And later it was modified from the blue chairs to the yan chairs in the 80s.

fact.

my knowledge of all of it goes back to a guy named Hans thornier have you heard of him ?

ne_skier

Wrong. The towers at the very least were installed previously at another mountain.
Do you have any proof of this? I have gotten my information from multiple sites (chairlift.org, newenglandskihistory.com, liftblog.com, skilifts.org, etc). Regardless unless there were problems with the structural integrity of the towers which I am not aware of (Black’s issues were mostly mechanical if I recall correctly) it wouldn’t have affected it. Also not sure where those towers would have even come from as they are unlike anything else installed in North America. If they are Pohlig towers which I assume they are, they certainly did not come from anywhere in America.
my knowledge of all of it goes back to a guy named Hans thornier have you heard of him ?
Assuming that you’re referring to Hans Thorner, yes I obviously have. If he personally told you that Blue/Black’s towers came from another mountain, that’s great. If that was an empty jab and you don’t have a reliable source for that bit of info I’m afraid I’m going to have to ignore it for now.
Again, Black was an unreliable lift for multiple unique reasons. It was removed as soon as the opportunity came up to buy a new lift at an affordable price. What does this have to do with Red?

It is possible that it was the green beginner lift that was the reinstall but one of them was. That matters not. And for the record yes my family knew Hans very well from the mid sixties on.

i have deep connections to magic and the area. I have lived that mountain from the great peaks of success to lowest of the lows.

but the moral of the story here is that this current ownership has been an utter disappointment from what was promised in the beginning and I just thank god I am no longer part of the chaos that continues to plaque them.

that said I wish them no I’ll will and hope for their success.

but lets Be honest the place is cursed…

skiur

It is possible that it was the green beginner lift that was the reinstall but one of them was. That matters not. And for the record yes my family knew Hans very well from the mid sixties on.

i have deep connections to magic and the area. I have lived that mountain from the great peaks of success to lowest of the lows.

but the moral of the story here is that this current ownership has been an utter disappointment from what was promised in the beginning and I just thank god I am no longer part of the chaos that continues to plaque them.

that said I wish them no I’ll will and hope for their success.

but lets Be honest the place is cursed…

Sure seems like you wish them ill will.

I don’t. I learned to ski there and have over 50 years of memories there.

Yesterday was a horror show and I fear there is more to come without substantial investment in infrastructure.

if I or one of my friends or loved ones was on that lift yesterday I would be beyond apoplectic.

im done. Y’all can go back to not caring. i hope the next time I post here it’s not because of a tragedy.

What accusations ? And the sources of everything I’ve said have been my eyes and ears and the original ownership as well as subsequent “ownerships“

I’ve lived magic mountain since I was an infant and my family before I was born.

JoeB-Z

MRGs single was totally replaced in 2007 after nearly 60 years of service Addled Troll of the Mountain.

The single was not “replaced” it was overhauled and as I suggested if magic wanted the red chair to be a ”legacy chair” (which I don’t think is warranted as the only thing that makes it unique is it’s red paint) they too should invest 2 million and make it safe for their customers or else tear the piece of shit down.

ne_skier

You’re clearly the only person here who thinks the lift is unsafe as a whole and you’ve stated like 5 times that you absolutely will not ski at Magic anymore. I think we’re fine for a few more years.

jaytrem

I'd love to see a chart of the age of lifts they've had an accident. Seems kinda random. Got new ones like this...

and Sunshine's Gondola. Then you have middle aged ones like Camelback, Blackcomb and Granby. Then you've got older ones like Magic and Sugarloaf. Odds of death are pretty slim on all of them. Not so sure age has a lot to do with those odds though.

NYDB

Obvious troll is obvious.

What accusations ? And the sources of everything I’ve said have been my eyes and ears and the original ownership as well as subsequent “ownerships“

I’ve lived magic mountain since I was an infant and my family before I was born.
do you have that house on lmc?

that house is sick. probably the premier spot in all of the east coast mountains I have seen.

if you want to sell it send me a pm

I’m not saying that the red lift is inherently unsafe and walking across the street can get you killed.

but decades of lack of maintenance on anything, plane, train, roof, bridge or whatever is going to greatly increase the odds of an accident occurring.

life is dangerous to quote a wise man. But I’d never forgive myself if I or a loved one had a choice to go to a mountain with a good track record of maintenance and newer lifts but chose to go to some ramshackle mom and pop and died needlessly as could have easily happened yesterday.

im too old for that shit and I don’t want to die in a stupid and much more avoidable way.

But you guys do you!

cdskier

The single was not “replaced” it was overhauled and as I suggested if magic wanted the red chair to be a ”legacy chair” (which I don’t think is warranted as the only thing that makes it unique is it’s red paint) they too should invest 2 million and make it safe for their customers or else tear the piece of shit down.

If you want to be technical, what Dopp did for the MRG single they called a "rebuild". It wasn't a simple overhaul by any means. The only things re-used from the original MRG lift were the towers themselves (after being removed, sandblasted, repainted, and reinstalled on new foundations) and the top terminal for the most part. For all intents and purposes, that lift was basically replaced. They paid more to have it rebuilt than the quotes they received to install a brand new chair instead. But it was an inconic lift so it is understandable at least why they voted to do that. (It was $1.5M that MRG paid Dopp btw...although today that same project would easily be over $2M)

IceEidolon

Deferred maintenance definitely made the new drive surge and knock the chair off the new haul rope. Definitely the deferred maintenance and not the brand new drive not being dialed in correctly by one of the contractors, made worse by somebody - how far up the chain or which chain we don't yet know - deciding not to slow down or stop the lift.