• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

No I left before current ownership took over.

best decision I ever made.

living at magic post bankruptcy was to say the least torture.

this season seems to be continuing that tradition

Jay trem my father made the point to me many years ago that he was roped down from the Ursa lift at Stratton the year it was installed after having complained about the condition of magics lifters in the late 90s.
but I’ll tell ya what I’d rather be roped down at Stratton on a brand new lift than catapulted into a ravine on a 50 year old lift that I knew to be unmaintained at that time.

johnl87

for what it's worth, when magic was liquidated in the 1990s, the red and black chairs were left there because they were too far gone for resale. how the state allowed that black chair to run again is beyond me.

the two hall two place chairs and the poma three place chair were still in good shape and were sold and are still running today.

IceEidolon

Having a vault drive, being from a less prominent manufacturer, and having hard to access towers for removal helped save Red, too.

Old black, yeah, mostly valuable as porch swings and culverts - especially with basically every company that had worked on it out of business.

slatham

for what it's worth, when magic was liquidated in the 1990s, the red and black chairs were left there because they were too far gone for resale. how the state allowed that black chair to run again is beyond me.

the two hall two place chairs and the poma three place chair were still in good shape and were sold and are still running today.
No. “Too far gone” for Red is a complete mischaracterization. The cost to buy, and more to the point, disassemble Red, and then reinstall, would have been a poor investment vs a new lift for the buyer. Especially at a time where lifts of that length+vertical being installed had much more capacity.

The other lifts were not only newer but much easier to get off Mountian and installed elsewhere.

Not sure the motives of Old Crotchedy Man but since he’s left Magic I suggest he do the same on AZ.

foofy

No. “Too far gone” for Red is a complete mischaracterization. The cost to buy, and more to the point, disassemble Red, and then reinstall, would have been a poor investment vs a new lift for the buyer. Especially at a time where lifts of that length+vertical being installed had much more capacity.

The other lifts were not only newer but much easier to get off Mountian and installed elsewhere.

Not sure the motives of Old Crotchedy Man but since he’s left Magic I suggest he do the same on AZ.
Cancel culture much?

IceEidolon

If general forum etiquette is cancel culture, sure. Better than 1% of a 5+ year old thread is him or responses to him, and it only took two days.

AdironRider

Maybe when Magic crosses a line from their bullshit just making everything take forever to their bullshit jeopardizing the safety of those who go there, moods change?

Weird concept I know.

Newpylong

You may be on to something. We're used to folks (like yourself) perusing threads and taking a few random jabs here and there and departing. But it's been a Hugh(e) onslaught.

Mornin magicians!

what’s on the agenda today ?

maybe a few “laps on green” in the rain Before retiring to the “BLT“in your grateful dead themed magic merch for a little smug back slapping while noshing on one of “chef Becca’s“ delectable specials ?

ne_skier

Decided to skip today. I see you are enjoying your AZ account quite a bit, you must really like talking to us. I know I’ve found these forums quite useful myself.

Actually I’m done. I came in here to voice my concerns in a serious manner and as is always the case with the magic cult apologists my concerns were dismissed.

And I apologize for my little troll above as that minimizes the importance of what I and many others are concerned and disappointed about.

I wish you all a happy new year and most importantly a SAFE one.

Old man out !