• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ThatGuy

Seems like good news, but 75% of this would have been unnecessary if the lift had been slowed down and not run while surging for ten minutes.
Same thoughts here, would’ve rather waited an extra day or two for Red to be 100% ready rather than running it and hoping for the best. You live and learn I guess, hopefully no more issues with it this season.

JoeB-Z

I think it is tougher to test than is obvious. Water barrels can't unload themselves so you can't really test at speed and load without people. The lift ran fine when started on Thursday.

ThatGuy

I think it is tougher to test than is obvious. Water barrels can't unload themselves so you can't really test at speed and load without people. The lift ran fine when started on Thursday.
So you’re basically saying that the people on the lift were test dummies. Also it was running while surging for a good amount of time, could’ve just ran it slow got everyone off and re-evaluated the situation.

tumbler

I also think that the surging type problem should have been anticipated as it is not out of the realm of an issue with a new lift install. What concerns me, and probably the state, is that they kept loading and running the chair. A friggin chair fell off the line!

NYDB

So you’re basically saying that the people on the lift were test dummies. Also it was running while surging for a good amount of time, could’ve just ran it slow got everyone off and re-evaluated the situation.
Right

thats all that needed to happen. Like wednesday. stop loading immediately, slowly offload, continue to work the problem.

hughconway

Repeating something that happened in the past doesn't rectify the situation.
Ignoring and pretending it didn't happen doesn't excuse it.

In the interest of transparency, have you informed the readers of this thread that you are employed by Magic? Seems particularly relevant especially as you attempt to defend Magic's gross negligence in continuing to run an obviously malfunctioning chairlift until a chair launched off the line while using their customers as human crash test dummies.

Newpylong

More like struck out looking.

Employed by Magic? Wow....if I was still in the industry, looking for a job, and lived closer I would love to work there. However I think by now many people on here know I live in central New Hampshire and used to run a mountain in this state for a number of years.

Coming from another small hill I did work with Geoff on a few items such as the Freedom Pass, reciprocal pass benefits etc and I respect how they continually claw back and what they're doing down there. I defend where I feel things to be defended and I criticize where I feel things should be criticized. Nowhere here have I defended why that lift ran like that if there was a known issue, and you can take that to the bank.

I have no skin in the game. Thanks for making me spit out what I was drinking though.

Last edited:

hughconway

More like struck out looking.

Employed by Magic? Wow....if I was still in the industry, looking for a job, and lived closer I would love to work there. However I think by now many people on here know I live in central New Hampshire and used to run a mountain in this state for a number of years.

Coming from another small hill I did work with Geoff on a few items such as the Freedom Pass, reciprocal pass benefits etc and I respect how they continually claw back and what they're doing down there. I defend where I feel things to be defended and I criticize where I feel things should be criticized. Nowhere here have I defended why that lift ran like that if there was a known issue, and you can take that to the bank.

I have no skin in the game. Thanks for making me spit out what I was drinking though.

Now you are just flat out lying. Most here probably know you used to be at Whaleback, and I happen to know for a fact that you were hired by Magic to be a coach one of their programs (race or freeride?) this year. My source is going to forward me a copy of the email you sent out to parents as proof. If you'd like, I'd be happy to post it here but will require your approval to do so as it contains your personal email as well as your phone number in the signature.

hughconway

Newpylong

I not only used to "be there", I was the General Manager, not a coach.

Now that you've said your piece, I think I do know who you're talking about. They are a coach in the Magic Freeride program, and used to be a coach in the Freeride program at Whaleback. Name starts with a T. Though a lot of people left WB it could be many.

I'll wait for deadheadskier to come on here, who knows me personally from his visits to the Whale, to tell you just how much of a blabbering moron you are.

At least you could have claimed I worked for Vail, that would have pissed me off.

hughconway

I not only used to "be there", I was the General Manager, not a coach.

Now that you've said your piece, I think I do know who you're talking about. They are a coach in the Magic Freeride program, and used to be a coach in the Freeride program at Whaleback. Though a lot of people left WB.

I'll wait for deadheadskier to come on here, who knows me personally from his visits to the Whale, to tell you just how much of a blabbering moron you are.

It's possible that I am mistaken, but I really don't think so. Is the coaches name Tim P? Or is that you?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ignoring and pretending it didn't happen doesn't excuse it.

In the interest of transparency, have you informed the readers of this thread that you are employed by Magic? Seems particularly relevant especially as you attempt to defend Magic's gross negligence in continuing to run an obviously malfunctioning chairlift until a chair launched off the line while using their customers as human crash test dummies.

You got the wrong man Hugh!

Newpylong is for certain not employed by Magic.