• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Predicted snow going down…shit. Max now at 13” for Sunday and Monday, low at 7

You shouldn't look at possible accumulations, much less run to run changes, this far out. Other than to gauge the general range - like it looks promising that SoVT will get 6+"(and you definitely don't want to rely on some app that just shows out amounts based on some unknown algo).

I wouldn't focus on accumulation until the storm is 84 hours out and the NAM model (short range US mode)l is in the mix, so tomorrow. And then really focus at 60 hours when the 3k NAM (high resolution) and other shorter range models come into play. Remember, even at 60 hours there is still plenty of time for the track to shift and amounts to fluxuate. Right now the start of the storm is 93 hours out.

IceEidolon

Looks like Lower Trick gets the rest of the snowmaking - I hadn't realized it wasn't already covered. It has towers and it's easier to get to and faster to cover than anything else not already finished, so that makes good sense.

urungus

Todays Alpine Update - note how they have not yet given up on Black for this season

Greetings from Londonderry,

We had a fun last weekend with Red Chair operating to the summit, and a nice ski day today with more open terrain thanks to our snowmakers. We look forward to seeing you Friday-Monday during the MLK holiday period.

Certainly it was a longer road than expected, but everyone is happy that Red is running smoothly with its new drive system, shaft and haul-rope. Thanks to Dan and our lift crew for persevering and getting it done, along with our partners Pfister Mountain Services and All Ski Lifts. And a special thanks to all of you for your patience and support! (Pfister Mountain Services, who has been working on Red, will be returning in a couple of weeks to begin finishing their work on Black Line Quad, once final parts arrive and his contracted work elsewhere ends.)

We added 4 new trails for today's skiing and into the weekend.
8841e37d-173a-25ea-6c75-2d5045001930.jpg
35fc76c7-77e7-eeed-c4bf-f8dd7ad0cf61.jpeg

Show Off, Wand, Lower Red Line and Carumba ready to go!

And, we'll be back making snow tonight, Friday and Saturday to add Hocus Pocus and Lower Trick for Sunday/Monday as well. We will also begin to fill in the terrain park. The team has worked in sub-zero weather this week to keep the guns going. We added a little natural snow this week to our base across the mountain (2" fell this week), which will help open a lot of terrain for the first real snowstorm of the year here this weekend!

We will be limiting tickets sold/Indy reservations to under 1,000 per day during the holiday period to keep lines down as much as possible. To save on tickets, always reserve in advance of your ski day:

Ski and Ride Tickets

Saturday will be a very, very cold day so please bring those extra layers and face coverings, and take lots of breaks. There will be après ski music both Saturday and Sunday to warm you up at the Tavern. We are still dealing with a few shortages from Covid protocols until the weekend, so please be patient. There will be lunch, but no dinner service through Friday, but dinner returns for Saturday and Sunday at the Tavern. The Base cafeteria will be open. Mask-wearing is required indoors during this spike in cases and we appreciate your cooperation to keep everyone as healthy as possible so we can remain open. (If you're feeling any symptoms, please stay home.)

The TUCK IT Dash for Cash speed race for $1500 total cash purse is on for Sunday afternoon on Show Off at 1pm with viewing and announcing at the T-BAR. This exciting event is being presented locally by our friends at Upper Pass Beer and Alpen Woodworks! Register before event day to save.

Magic will be open on Monday of MLK and there is a snowstorm alert. It may begin late Sunday night and snow all day Monday, so definitely think about staying and grabbing the first major storm of the year. (It's about time!!!). Patrol will be ready to open more terrain once we get enough depth as the snow falls throughout Monday. Currently 6-12" is predicted depending on the track. Think Snow!

Hope to see you this holiday weekend as we take time to celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr and continue working to make our sport more inclusive, accessible and welcoming to all.

ne_skier

Todays Alpine Update - note how they have not yet given up on Black for this season
Very optimistic but nice to see regardless. I don't see any way for them to get a crane up there until spring, so they're probably making sure they have all parts/equipment ready to begin the crawl up once the snow melts.

slatham

Very optimistic but nice to see regardless. I don't see any way for them to get a crane up there until spring, so they're probably making sure they have all parts/equipment ready to begin the crawl up once the snow melts.

I agree. A helicopter is an obvious option, but that has cost challenges.

drjeff

I agree. A helicopter is an obvious option, but that has cost challenges.
Heck, there are tracked vehicle cranes, both self powered and towed, that often companies that run/maintain/build the big delivery powerlines use to access their towers in tough, mountainous terrain during all 4 seasons, that could probably do the job without "air support".

I guess ultimately if Black gets completed and spins this season may come down to what they are willing/able to spend to make it happen.

Now maybe if a good chunk of the AZ regulars who frequent SoVT started hitting up the BLT multiple a week and running up 3 figure tabs every night, that might help the Black get completed this season! 😉

IceEidolon

Timberline (under previous cheapskate management) hauled a crane up through snow to replace a crossarm via snowcat. With enough horsepower and cash, especially in a region where the needed equipment is used anyway, it's definitely still possible.

drjeff

Timberline (under previous cheapskate management) hauled a crane up through snow to replace a crossarm via snowcat. With enough horsepower and cash, especially in a region where the needed equipment is used anyway, it's definitely still possible.

Heck, about an hour down route 100 in Jacksonville, is a branch office of a company, Riggs-Distler, that does the big voltage power transmission line construction and maintenance and from having driven by their yard where they store their equipment when it's not out on a job, sure looks like they have numerous "all terrain" crane options.

No clue if their lifting ability and/or ability to access the tower(s) on Black would work, but they have a bunch of equipment that looks like it has the potential to get the job done, and if so it's just a flat bed haul up 100 for about an hour away...

Newpylong

I think the question is whether the additional winter construction expenses are worth it. I am not Magic but I would have turned tail by now.

In better news, plenty of cold smoke on Hocus on the webcam.

IceEidolon

I would have too, personally - what's the expected value of the additional lift beyond having two summit lifts?

Wild ass guess of 12 days this season remaining they could sell out on times 500 additional tickets per day, times $50 per ticket sold price, for an optimistic upper limit of $300k additional gross unlocked by the new lift. That assumes they sell out every Saturday in Feb and March plus a couple powder/holiday days, which like I said - optimistic upper limit.

ThatGuy

I would have too, personally - what's the expected value of the additional lift beyond having two summit lifts?

Wild ass guess of 12 days this season remaining they could sell out on times 500 additional tickets per day, times $50 per ticket sold price, for an optimistic upper limit of $300k additional gross unlocked by the new lift. That assumes they sell out every Saturday in Feb and March plus a couple powder/holiday days, which like I said - optimistic upper limit.
I don’t see there being much more than one or two weekends and a few pow days (if we ever get one) that Black would even be needed. Appreciate the ambition but personally I’m in no rush to ride Black and would rather see it dialed in and 100% for next season. Of course I’m not lift ops or management so I don’t know what their plan is. Maybe hughconway has some insight 😂

slatham

I have one word for Black: REDUNDANCY. The saga with Red this season would have been moot if Black was running.

ThatGuy

I have one word for Black: REDUNDANCY. The saga with Red this season would have been moot if Black was running.
I get that Black will become the main lift on weekends when ready and add a viable backup summit option as well. But at this point we are 1/3 done with the season and the work isn't slated until another 3 weeks from now, just seems ambitious. More power to the mountain if it happens this season, I’m an impassive observer for the Black saga. The biggest benefit to me will be all the East side trees that go untracked because people will be West side more often.

skithetrees

I get that Black will become the main lift on weekends when ready and add a viable backup summit option as well. But at this point we are 1/3 done with the season and the work isn't slated until another 3 weeks from now, just seems ambitious. More power to the mountain if it happens this season, I’m an impassive observer for the Black saga. The biggest benefit to me will be all the East side trees that go untracked because people will be West side more often.

Red lift down again. Christmas week and MLK. This is beyond frustrating. I don’t want to be negative, and I am always pulling for them and appreciate what has been done, but this is critical stuff.

JoeB-Z

I'm about to head up there anyway but I'll be bummed if its not turning this afternoon. I'm not going to ski tomorrow either as the driving looks awful.