• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

I'm about to head up there anyway but I'll be bummed if its not turning this afternoon. I'm not going to ski tomorrow either as the driving looks awful.
I admire your optimism, I wouldn’t be shocked if tomorrow’s powder day is green only

NYDB

I admire your optimism, I wouldn’t be shocked if tomorrow’s powder day is green only
They should let us hike up UMC from top of green then.

I'm about to drive up for mon at Magic -tues at Stratton. If red isn't running then I'm not making the effort. this early season is turning into a bit of a disaster for Magic tbh.

Does anyone know - does magic have any lift mechanics on payroll? or is it all subcontracted out?

skithetrees

They should let us hike up UMC from top of green then.

I'm about to drive up for mon at Magic -tues at Stratton. If red isn't running then I'm not making the effort. this early season is turning into a bit of a disaster for Magic tbh.

Does anyone know - does magic have any lift mechanics on payroll? or is it all subcontracted out
45 minutes per run

Attachments

• 8FE5F8A3-1608-4F6A-A4B7-B0DF3B7E48E1.jpeg
    8FE5F8A3-1608-4F6A-A4B7-B0DF3B7E48E1.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 55

IceEidolon

They've got basic maintenance at least in house, but there's some capabilities and skills it's just not practical to do yourself for just a handful of lifts. I don't know where the line is for them.

ne_skier

Did they load anyone today? I imagine they’re really trying to get it open for tomorrow. Storm seems to be coming a little earlier than initially thought so there will probably be a decent amount down already by 8:30.

Next Saturday will be one of the most crowded non-holiday-weekend days of the season. I’m seeing 11” to 19” on OpenSnow Sunday night into Monday (Don’t take my word for it, I’m no meteorologist) and a foot+ of dense snow could open the majority of ungroomed terrain. After a dry early season, everyone’s going to want to be there.

JoeB-Z

I got there at 1PM. Green was running and the line looked like 10 minutes or so. I could not muster any excitement and headed home. There was someone in the Red control room so I guess they started cycling it at the end of the day per the report above. Plenty of happy people other than me though.

ThatGuy

Did they load anyone today? I imagine they’re really trying to get it open for tomorrow. Storm seems to be coming a little earlier than initially thought so there will probably be a decent amount down already by 8:30.

Next Saturday will be one of the most crowded non-holiday-weekend days of the season. I’m seeing 11” to 19” on OpenSnow Sunday night into Monday (Don’t take my word for it, I’m no meteorologist) and a foot+ of dense snow could open the majority of ungroomed terrain. After a dry early season, everyone’s going to want to be there.
No one was loaded today that I know of. Mechanical issue now fixed.

Last edited:

Newpylong

They've got basic maintenance at least in house, but there's some capabilities and skills it's just not practical to do yourself for just a handful of lifts. I don't know where the line is for them.

A hill that size usually handles their own line work, taking the chairs on and off, brittle bar replacement, basic fault troubleshooting etc. The rest (gearbox, motor, driven etc) is almost always contracted.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Clearly the reliability leaves a lot to be desired. With no other alternatives to get to the top of Magic, I am glad to be in a hotel 8 miles from Greek Peak.

zoomzoom

the red's got a good amount of carriage travel, so if the splice was done with the drive forward as much as practical, they may be able to get away with just raising the counterweight a time or two to counter the effects of a new rope's initial "stretch". on the other and, modern solid core ropes don't "stretch" like hemp core ropes of yesteryear and magic has a relatively short season. if the stars align maybe they can simply adjust carriage and counterweight switches throughout the season and not have any extra work at all.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
the red's got a good amount of carriage travel, so if the splice was done with the drive forward as much as practical, they may be able to get away with just raising the counterweight a time or two to counter the effects of a new rope's initial "stretch". on the other and, modern solid core ropes don't "stretch" like hemp core ropes of yesteryear and magic has a relatively short season. if the stars align maybe they can simply adjust carriage and counterweight switches throughout the season and not have any extra work at all.

Uh...was it ever announced/leaked it was a tensioning issue as you claim??

Bosco DaSkia

Clearly the reliability leaves a lot to be desired. With no other alternatives to get to the top of Magic, I am glad to be in a hotel 8 miles from Greek Peak.

Holy shit, that’s funny….. Greek Peak and reliable lifts don’t really go together.

How bad are things at magic that Greek is being held up as a reliable alternative?

zoomzoom

uh, i'm not "claiming" anything. my post was for general information { as most of mine are } and nothing more. try reading before posting snarky little replies.

KustyTheKlown

seeing stratton, cannon, killington, and sugarbush all down with wind holds - and i think i saw bromley too? i am thrilled to not be driving and skiing today. yesterday at jay was awesome, first day of all tree skiing bell to bell all season, and got back to nyc area just as snow and driving was starting to be iffy. next weekend should be primo. i'm glad to not be at magic bc i wouldn't want to burn an indy day today, i'm concerned about red staying operational, and with all the local majors down for wind i anticipate magic to be a shitshow. got big eyes on magic next sunday tho.

IceEidolon

I'd settle for context with my rumors.

Whatever happened it took most of the day to fix, and they ran the chair unloaded for an hour at the end of the day.