• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

Looks like all single blacks have opened up except HOM. Twilight Zone looked to be the only double black open, IIRC it usually opens in thin cover conditions. It will be interesting to see if any more runs open for Thursday-Sunday, perhaps they held off on some to make sure they don't get worn off before all the snow is down. Just guessing

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Holy shit, that’s funny….. Greek Peak and reliable lifts don’t really go together.

How bad are things at magic that Greek is being held up as a reliable alternative?
First time I had been to Greek but it was awesome today. 8" fresh easily with every lift running and every trail and glade skiable. Not every one was open but there was absolutely no effort made to keep people to the open trails. There were many people on the closed ones all day. Closed seemed to be an alternate name for ungroomed.

ne_skier

Someone I know who was there today said that The Wardrobe was open at some point today, same with Broomstick -> HOM. Hopefully a sign that more dropped ropes are on the way.

skithetrees

Someone I know who was there today said that The Wardrobe was open at some point today, same with Broomstick -> HOM. Hopefully a sign that more dropped ropes are on the way.
Yes, both were open. Trees a bit scratchy but the natural trails on the west side skied surprisingly well for how little snow they have had this year. Snow was a bit weird on the west side as anything that was skied over a few times and flattened down became quite firm. Edgable, but firm. Haven’t seen anything like it in a while. I’m thinking the cold before the storm made the ground so cold it sort of froze the wet snow that got dumped on top once it was compacted. Overall, great day with great skiing.

ThatGuy

From the Alpine Update, looks like Black is still in the cards for completion this season.

Also, special thanks to our lift mechanics and contractors for getting Red Chair in great shape to access the summit on MLK Monday, and a shout out to Green Lift and its crew for being solid all-season long. Pfister Mountain Services has hired two more lift techs who will begin in about two weeks to help get new sheave assemblies on key towers for the Black Quad. Final parts should be in by then and Pfister is getting me a completion timetable with a goal of completing before the end of this ski season. Red Lift certainly has eaten up dramatically more of Pfister's time than we wanted, but the Quad is never far from our minds and we are still pushing hard for completion--working even under difficult mid-winter conditions.

Lift crew getting us to where we want to go! Red in the snow

ne_skier

Saturday was great, loved everything I skied. The untouched powder was pretty thick, but places that have been more skied (Twilight Zone, Goniff) were pretty navigable and had good cover. The less rocky ungroomed runs will definitely stick around for a while. Noticed Red Line is closed today; if I had to guess it has to do with the sizeable dirt patch on Witch after the intersection with Goniff. I'm no snowmaking expert but perhaps they could just aim a gun at that and patch it up.
Obligatory Wizard sunset pic:
1642955045609.png

slatham

Thanks for the pics! Wish I could get up there.

Whoever ducked the rope on the upper lifeline of Red - which is not a trail - is beyond stupid. Besides being able to see this area from the lift, this is Magic, they are VERY liberal with opening terrain. If something is closed at Magic, you really do not want to ski it.

ThatGuy

Thanks for the pics! Wish I could get up there.

Whoever ducked the rope on the upper lifeline of Red - which is not a trail - is beyond stupid. Besides being able to see this area from the lift, this is Magic, they are VERY liberal with opening terrain. If something is closed at Magic, you really do not want to ski it.
The waist high water bars across the bottom are a good reason not to duck that rope as well. Plus the fact its a rock cliff with less than a foot of snow covering it.

IceEidolon

Saturday was great, loved everything I skied. The untouched powder was pretty thick, but places that have been more skied (Twilight Zone, Goniff) were pretty navigable and had good cover. The less rocky ungroomed runs will definitely stick around for a while. Noticed Red Line is closed today; if I had to guess it has to do with the sizeable dirt patch on Witch after the intersection with Goniff. I'm no snowmaking expert but perhaps they could just aim a gun at that and patch it up.
In theory it's possible. In single digit weather, though, charging more pipe than you have to, especially if you're only moving 50-60 gpm, is a great way to freeze some pipe. If I were making the calls I wouldn't try it until I was running the East Side again - keep everything on Talisman, Sorcerer, and Wizard and charge/drain as few extra sections of pipe as I could, until it's time to shift everything over.

KustyTheKlown

96652164-A412-45D5-97D4-45AE8BD418D6.pngRock cliff w low snow, low chairs, and huge snowmaking pipes at the bottom lol

Red line is open despite the dirt on the approach. Black line is open from broomstick

On my last lift up. 15k vert today and will be home by 6. Mostly skied on the natural trails. Skied disappearing act, pixie, sceance, kitten, still pretty thin in the woods - did not bother w hallows and wardrobe

Another 8” and we’re cooking w gas

SkiingInABlueDream

It's unfortunate that the first 3/4 of that upper section under red is IIRC pretty mellow and inviting. I remember doing it once waayy back around '04/05 ish, before Magic's current popularity and before that stretch was an established no-poach, and thinking that while it wasn't miserable I also wouldn't need to repeat it. Sometimes you gotta learn the "hard" way?🤷🏻‍♂️

MG Skier

I was at Magic Sunday, what a remarkable difference between two weekends ago. Yay snowmaking team and mother nature for the two prong approach. I hope to get back soon! I spent the morning on my "better" skis and the afternoon on my rock skis! East side lower angle glades were fun. Same can be said for West natural trails.