• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

KustyTheKlown

I was at Magic Sunday, what a remarkable difference between two weekends ago. Yay snowmaking team and mother nature for the two prong approach. I hope to get back soon! I spent the morning on my "better" skis and the afternoon on my rock skis! East side lower angle glades were fun. Same can be said for West natural trails.

this weekend was an all rock skis affair, which finally got me the opportunity to drop my dailies off for a tune and base repair

ne_skier

this weekend was an all rock skis affair
The bottoms of my skis look like a cheese grater after last Saturday. A few inches could be coming down on Saturday to patch up any thin cover spots and keep the steeper stuff (red, green) open.

I noticed the bushes on Upper Magician were pretty tall, do they usually trim those annually or would they just get packed down by the snow? Clearing that run must be akin to rock climbing.

MG Skier

this weekend was an all rock skis affair, which finally got me the opportunity to drop my dailies off for a tune and base repair
I hear ya Krusty...I was on groomers in the morning, I just need to ski more frequently, I didn't want to go all in after not skiing two weeks. In hind sight I should have brought both skis to the base at the same time and switched before lunch at the truck.

JoeB-Z

"The chair is staying on the cable pretty good today" By the way, that is not easy skiing.

urungus

Great day at Magic yesterday, Red ran smoothly all day, ski-on, pretty much everything open, good coverage in the woods.

anyone lose their googles in White Kitten ?

70355515-22F8-4FED-8D74-C935B78F419B.jpeg

NYDB

natural terrain was outstanding today, albeit thin.

Whatever fell today deposited some nice fluff. stopped snowing around lunch. maybe it'll restart for a bit this evening.
20220129_135816.jpg20220129_100509.jpg

ThatGuy

Guess today was AlpineZone day at Magic. The natural trails on West side were skiing great albeit thin cover. Also gotta love the pile of skis in front of the sign saying not to leave your skis there.
BFCB0732-1C0D-436F-ACB8-E2D20620B377.jpeg

IceEidolon

If they didn't need the water for the hill I'd say point a rat at the problem - smooth everything over in an hour or two, easy.

ne_skier

Likely had something to do with the race event. The lodge was packed yet lift lines were short. The racks at the base were just about filled too, I imagine many of the racers (among others) were not skiing for a lot of the day.
The weather seemed pretty weird too. Either the wind picked up or changed direction around noon and it started getting much colder come the afternoon, or so it felt. Ungroomed was good although it was getting pretty thin, rock skis highly recommended (Watch out for roots too, they can take your legs right out from under you). Hopefully snow is in our future 🤞