• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

Might be my favorite part of the mountain when conditions are good, that steep part keeps the riff-raff away.
How does “Wardrobe”, which I believe is the glade you guys are describing, compare to “Warlock” ? Tried the latter for the first time the other day and found it pretty tough, I fear I am a member of the “riff-raff” :)

ThatGuy

How does “Wardrobe”, which I believe is the glade you guys are describing, compare to “Warlock” ? Tried the latter for the first time the other day and found it pretty tough, I fear I am a member of the “riff-raff” :)
I’d say if you had trouble with Warlock then the top part of The Wardrobe would be difficult as well. Try out The Hallows first if you haven’t and see how you feel there.

NYDB

imo the trees are too thin to ski/ride well. yes, you can pick your way down them for sure. and sure. and the flatter sections are better yeah.. But you can't really open it up with confidence. no real charging fall line turns on the steep stuff. I hit a few this weekend and it was thin.

still under 40" of snow season to date.

rotd was broomstick / blackline.

if you could avoid the rocks on broomstick you were good to go. nice wind buff on skiers right of BL

hopefully this storm delivers this week. 🙏

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

So did this precipitation at least get some water back into the pond?
It had to refill the pond. It was raining all day yesterday over halfway up the mountain and the natural slopes had lost a good deal of snow. The skiing was rather good but they closed the West side quite early. I suspect sweeping the open natural was not going to be a pleasure for the patrol.

skithetrees

It had to refill the pond. It was raining all day yesterday over halfway up the mountain and the natural slopes had lost a good deal of snow. The skiing was rather good but they closed the West side quite early. I suspect sweeping the open natural was not going to be a pleasure for the patrol.
West side was never open and red never loaded. Apparently a lot of icing on the top towers and bullwheel. That said, skiing off green was surprisingly excellent all day. Far better than what I expected given how the storm turned out.

ne_skier

Were any lower angle ungroomed runs (Disappearing Act, White Kitten) open? Or was the snow not enough to patch up the ice

urungus

View attachment 53004

damn. kyles got mad skills grooming out upper magician.
LOL, lots of rocks to smooth out … I think they meant to say they groomed Wizard from Magician to Talisman. What is “Upper Magician” anyway, the small top part above Broomstick is called simply “Magician”, anything below that is “Heart of Magician”

ne_skier

I think it was referred to as Upper Magician back in the Hans Thorner days and was referred to as Master Magician from Boston Concessions’ ownership through the mid 2000s

urungus

I think it was referred to as Upper Magician back in the Hans Thorner days and was referred to as Master Magician from Boston Concessions’ ownership through the mid 2000s

Here is 2000-2001 map calling it “Master Magician”. Also note proposed cutoff to be called “Black Magic” from Wizard to Upper Talisman. Anyone skied that line ?
B93644C9-618F-4CC9-A280-AB4A047AD721.jpeg

ne_skier

I remember a conversation here about that run a year or so ago, that must have been before Black Magic (as it is currently) was a trail, and the upper ledges bit between Broomstick and Witch was called Lucifer.
Interestingly, Trudy’s Run was also supposed to be a connector trail between LMC and Showoff, instead of what it is now.