• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Here is 2000-2001 map calling it “Master Magician”. Also note proposed cutoff to be called “Black Magic” from Wizard to Upper Talisman. Anyone skied that line ?
View attachment 53006
That trail as drawn is currently a cliff area. I will not give out secrets but if anyone should wander into that general area be aware it is extremely steep and tight.

If ever cut, that trail into Talisman would be amazing. Ideally it would be cut or have a spur leading into Sorcerer.

KustyTheKlown

great business weekend for the hill. Rentals, lessons, food, bar, everything looked busy. Lift lines on green chair even. Great base for next storm.

Sorry haters.

my friend and i went to the BLT for dinner and grateful dead tunes and it was absolutely packed all night

JoeB-Z

Really great today. The mountain is getting in very good shape. A few inches of natural made all the difference from last weekend. They made snow on the west side and did a fair amount of grooming. Kinderspiel has been tamed! I did my first turn as an ambassador last Saturday on the Red lift line at noon - 2. I'm trying to give back a bit. Business was really strong and I suspect this weekend will be another sellout. Also, people are really hanging in there on Sunday afternoon.

Newpylong

Snowmaking ongoing on Sorcerer.

After Thursday's pond "refill" event will they do Witch to Black to say its been done for the first time in an eternity?

slatham

Snowmaking ongoing on Sorcerer.

After Thursday's pond "refill" event will they do Witch to Black to say its been done for the first time in an eternity?

Interesting question. I'd say it depends on 1) whether the Thursday "pond refilling" necessitates resurfacing existing snowmaking terrain, 2) How much snowmaking budget is left and 3) whether at this late in the game its worth the effort/expense, especially given it wouldn't be done for Presidents weekend.

IceEidolon

Seconded on priorities. This late in the season they've got to be thinking about getting the most out of this month's sunk costs (IE demand charges) and do they have the depth they need on key trails for the end of the season.

I wouldn't rule out marketing/thin spot/test run on the new pipe, but I sure don't expect full coverage over there. Grab a couple tripods and 200' of hose, hike in, cover the thin spots with some fluff, get a guy with a camera in there at dawn. While running HKDs with most of your capacity somewhere else.

Newpylong

That line is extremely long, there is likely not enough pumping capacity to make show snow with a couple guns and have adequate flow for high production somewhere else.

It is getting late in the season for sure, but they've put a base down on the West Side the last week in February before. Only reason I even mentioned it :) They sing to a different tune than most others lol.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Upper Magic Carpet or maybe feeding down Trick and Witch simultaneously? As long as you keep below max load on the pump while hitting the target pressure that ought to be okay. You lose another couple dozen GPM out the bottom of Witch / the end of that line to keep things from freezing up plus say 50 to 150 GPM from four guns, then the remainder goes out hydrants on UMC or down Trick.

You absolutely have more experience than I do running systems with isolation valves, but I've never seen a problem running a couple guns in an isolated spot absent a bottleneck somewhere that I don't believe exists here. I have seen problems where a section of pipe is too small for full flow, but I believe UMC can handle what the main pump can feed it. I've seen low water pressure when too much water is drawn from a line, but only when that line was undersized for the number of guns running. I would expect feeding 150 GPM down Witch would be the same as running the same guns off hydrants up by Red's bullwheel.

I agree that pushing water to the summit just for those couple guns is impractical, but if UMC is going to be charged anyway...

And I'm not saying you're wrong here, I want to see if there's a constraint in the plumbing I'm not aware of or if I just wasn't clear that I assumed they'd make some stockpile snow at the summit at some point and test Witch then.