• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

I think youre correct on most of that but you're also not taking other design factors such as friction and head loss, and most importantly velocity into consideration. So it isn't as simple as splitting a 1,000 gallons per minute amongst two lines.

If they don't have enough water pressure to run Low-E at the top as it is, it is unlikely they can maintain operating pressure on both simultaneously regardless of how the withdrawel is split.

We had a similar pumping capacity and at times charged multiple lines near the summit (sized appropriately) and at well below nominal flow rates we could barely maintain 200 PSI. As soon you try to charge that much more steel the physics change.

So in summary, if Witch is top fed (I think it is), I don't think they would be able to withdraw much water on the upline.

Last year Sorcerer and LMC came back to life, this year Vertigo. Maybe next will be Witch to Black? Mystery after that? Bringing stuff back from the dead is awesome. I love to see it, options are good!

Last edited:

slatham

I think youre correct on most of that but you're also not taking other design factors such as friction and head loss, and most importantly velocity into consideration. So it isn't as simple as splitting a 1,000 gallons per minute amongst two lines.

If they don't have enough water pressure to run Low-E at the top as it is, it is unlikely they can maintain operating pressure on both simultaneously regardless of how the withdrawel is split.

We had a similar pumping capacity and at times charged multiple lines near the summit (sized appropriately) and at well below nominal flow rates we could barely maintain 200 PSI. As soon you try to charge that much more steel the physics change.

So in summary, if Witch is top fed (I think it is), I don't think they would be able to withdraw much water on the upline.

Last year Sorcerer and LMC came back to life, this year Vertigo. Maybe next will be Witch to Black? Mystery after that? Bringing stuff back from the dead is awesome. I love to see it, options are good!

All I know is the section of pipe on steep section of Black Line has a dead end drain right around the crossover from HOM. They’ve used the section below this to blow snow from there down into Hocus Pocus for the speed comp. So this lower section is not part of the “newly online” Witch/Blackline.

So my guess is Witch/Blackline is fed from upstreaming from East side and the down W/BL (though can’t rule out upstreaming via Wizard). I am pretty sure that - as once explained to me by DW - there is not a full circular flow up East/down West (or vice versa).

ThatGuy

The rain and wind are doing a number on alot of trails. Really hope we get a good dump soon.
07CBF0B7-50F9-4DA0-A545-C2B5BEF9E20B.jpeg

ThatGuy

Hit every open natural trail I could today. Probably the last time for a while that will be possible.AA7645D5-BFCA-4B17-B939-EA5600E61F9C.jpeg
CC9857F9-6BB4-4C18-95B8-17F1A38AD347.jpeg
6993D912-A1B8-460F-84EB-0D031F77E4CC.jpeg
E8339B07-0A9F-4DAC-8FEF-946DE51A0825.jpeg

ne_skier

Magic (and BLT) closed for the day due to a Londonderry-wide power outage w/ no estimate of when power will be restored; they are also reporting heavy snow loss. Road to Ruin has been postponed to the 5th, 2 weeks from Saturday.
Bromley is opening late due to heavy snowpack loss and “hopes” to reopen at 11

ThatGuy

Magic (and BLT) closed for the day due to a Londonderry-wide power outage w/ no estimate of when power will be restored; they are also reporting heavy snow loss. Road to Ruin has been postponed to the 5th, 2 weeks from Saturday.
Bromley is opening late due to heavy snowpack loss and “hopes” to reopen at 11
After what I saw yesterday I’ll be surprised if theres even a base left on a lot of trails. Tomorrow will be interesting.

ne_skier

Black Line and HOM were nearly bare when we drove past this morning. If I had to guess, they’ll be down to snowmaking trails only, perhaps with some low angle non-snowmaking runs

slatham

Weather has been a cluster f*#!.....starting over on natural trails in late Feb? Better be a March to remember or this winter will be one to forget. Glad they've expanded snowmaking terrain. Not too long ago they'd be down to Trick to Show Off.

Could have been worse. There wasn’t much natural snow to lose. Snowmaking trails look like they lost a bunch but will be skiable. Photos at 8:45 am on 2/23. Props to DoWork and his team for getting as many snowmaking trails open this year, we’d be f***d otherwise. At least there will be some trails (with base) to ski when winter returns.

Attachments

• 43ECCFD3-F06D-4474-9FCB-B8196FB263D5.jpeg
    43ECCFD3-F06D-4474-9FCB-B8196FB263D5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 93162ECA-7742-4293-9639-4C63651C9672.jpeg
    93162ECA-7742-4293-9639-4C63651C9672.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 6B5350BC-EC31-4368-A444-F0431389305E.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

cdskier

True, but when was the last time we started from dirt in february
More often/recently than you probably realize...

In my Facebook memories today popped up a photo of completely bare ground seen everywhere around my condo from 4 years ago (compared to today where there were at least a few piles/spots of snow on the ground). Also 5 years ago today per FB memories I was complaining about it hitting 80 degrees on the Thruway in NY a good part of my drive up to VT.

NYDB

Where was everybody today? (Probably someplace with more terrain open, I get it)

30 second wait on red most of day. Cold and snowy. not as aggressive opening low angle east side natural as expected.

tough to tell how much snow fell. 10” maybe? probably more up top. It was snowing pretty solid all day

overall A solid low tide powder day you’d expect to have around New Years not end of feb.