• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JamaicaMan

Black has a Full load of chairs. It's been approved as a double since motor changed out and downsized in 2005 by prior owners. A double load is right-sized for the engine and the number of chairs. In the off-season the chair will be upgraded further in power with higher horsepower engine and drive to a full triple person weight load. In the meantime, it's the roomiest double in VT

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mriceyman

Saw it running last week.. awesome for the mountain

mishka

couldn't believe my eyes when I saw black chair spinning on Thursday. Went over and touch history. So great to have black chair operational for mountain specially for this weekend

skifree

most older triples where built for smaller people. Put 3 adults in a triple and you know what i mean. cozy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Black has a Full load of chairs. It's been approved as a double since motor changed out and downsized in 2005 by prior owners. A double load is right-sized for the engine and the number of chairs. In the off-season the chair will be upgraded further in power with higher horsepower engine and drive to a full triple person weight load. In the meantime, it's the roomiest double in VT

Well, maybe a replacement is in order. It's a very old lift that was upgraded on the cheap way back when.

I know some of you will burn me at the stake for saying that, but it's true. I want to see Magic succeed.

MEtoVTSkier

On one hand I agree with you. On the other, let them upgrade the powerplant back to where it was and run it for a year or two (or three) until everything is stabilized financially. Maybe even get Green Line, beginner area e.c.t upgraded first as long as Red and Black seem to be functioning as desired.

Savemeasammy

For those of us who actually ski at Magic and are fans, Black coming back on line in is a huge win. I'm sure there is a long list of more sensible improvements to make rather than replacing black...

chuckstah

For those of us who actually ski at Magic and are fans, Black coming back on line in is a huge win. I'm sure there is a long list of more sensible improvements to make rather than replacing black...

This. Magic skied great today and lines were manageable. Without two lifts my crew and many others would not have been there. Black as a double is good for this season at least. Upgrades are needed, but the trails can't handle a big increase in traffic until more snow making is in place.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
As I said, burn me at the stake. I've seen enough over 20 years or so to know that they have lift and snowmaking reliability issues. The snowmaking is now better, but the lifts are iffy. You can't have a ski area of any kind without reliable lifts and snowmaking.

Every year we hear about how this and that have to be done with both lifts and it always seems to be that they open on a wing and a prayer. And I hear folks say, "I'd go, but will it be open?" So hopefully the new crew has sufficient funds to get out of this cycle. Otherwise we'll be right back here again next year.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
There's validity to what you are saying, but this is the first season for the new owners. They barely had time to do much since taking over in the fall. From the sounds of it this was the first weekend they even needed two chairs due to a holiday weekend, ample recent natural snow and great weather. So, the fact that they got Black going for such a critical time in my opinion is a HUGE win. Imagine if they didn't have Black going today? That would have been a tough situation and likely turned off many people.

Before talking about a new lift, let's see what the new owners can do with a full off season to work on snowmaking improvements. Hopefully when they do that, they find themselves in a situation where the product offering creates a demand for two summit chairs every weekend of the peak season. Ill also echo what has been previously mentioned that prior to replacing the Black chair, a lower mountain lift is of higher priority. I learned how to snowboard off the old lift in the little dipper area back in the 80s. Great little learning area.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

mriceyman

As I said, burn me at the stake. I've seen enough over 20 years or so to know that they have lift and snowmaking reliability issues. The snowmaking is now better, but the lifts are iffy. You can't have a ski area of any kind without reliable lifts and snowmaking.

Every year we hear about how this and that have to be done with both lifts and it always seems to be that they open on a wing and a prayer. And I hear folks say, "I'd go, but will it be open?" So hopefully the new crew has sufficient funds to get out of this cycle. Otherwise we'll be right back here again next year.

I think the things the "new crew" has done in the last 6 months is leaps and bounds ahead of what has been done in the past couple of years. I mean less than 2 months since opening and they got the black running for the first time in years. Give them the appropriate time needed and this place will be a gem for years to come. It will not happen overnight but they are headed in the right direction

JoeB-Z

This. Magic skied great today and lines were manageable. Without two lifts my crew and many others would not have been there. Black as a double is good for this season at least. Upgrades are needed, but the trails can't handle a big increase in traffic until more snow making is in place.

Managable- huh- I never waited more than about more than eight minutes.

Snow making? What part of 45 out of 45 trails were you disappointed with?

Did you wear yourself out on Upper Black Line, Red Line or Master Magician?

How would you propose to make snow on the rock faces?

That's the only bare spots I saw and half the problem was people side slipping them. Ok Witch faces the sun and always gets bony.

JoeB-Z

The lifts are fine. They could make snow on 2/3 of the mountain if needed. There is a five year plan and funds for it.

JoeB-Z

By the way, the expenditure on Black goes back to the Jim Sullivan era. A long and way too steady effort. I called the lift inspector a couple of years ago. He said no problem, they would get it running and they did.

mriceyman

By the way, the expenditure on Black goes back to the Jim Sullivan era. A long and way too steady effort. I called the lift inspector a couple of years ago. He said no problem, they would get it running and they did.

I have doubts they would have ever gotten it running again but thank god we will never know the answer

JoeB-Z

I have doubts they would have ever gotten it running again but thank god we will never know the answer

Black rode so nicely today. Not a squeak or struggle.

chuckstah

Managable- huh- I never waited more than about more than eight minutes.

Snow making? What part of 45 out of 45 trails were you disappointed with?

Did you wear yourself out on Upper Black Line, Red Line or Master Magician?

How would you propose to make snow on the rock faces?

That's the only bare spots I saw and half the problem was people side slipping them. Ok Witch faces the sun and always gets bony.
I wasn't dissing. Today was good. You sound a little defensive. I'm saying that the natural won't hold up to huge crowds, same situation as MRG. Snow making needs upgrading before lift capacity increase. Good to see everything open.