• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

The work seems more extensive than previously mentioned (3 towers?).

I would love to know if the Engineer who originally did the profile warned that the existing sheave assemblies may not work with the new profile (and Magic proceeded anyway with hopes for the best), or if these issues only presented themselves once tension (weight from the chairs) was added.

I've never heard of that many sheaves needing to be swapped out post install. I wonder if it's the same engineer who botched our T-Bar install, there aren't many in New England.

slatham

I would love to know if the Engineer who originally did the profile warned that the existing sheave assemblies may not work with the new profile (and Magic proceeded anyway with hopes for the best), or if these issues only presented themselves once tension (weight from the chairs) was added.
The later...

Newpylong

The later...
I figured, especially because the Tramway board scrutinizes plans when they are presented to them if there are any questionable design areas. Probably outta review the engineer's license for calling that profile plan good huh (and adding who knows how much in additional install expense that could have been factored into the initial install and not post install modifications)? The whole thing is mindboggling, I am sure there is more to the story.

Regardless, it will be a great day when it's done.

Last edited:

reefer

I would go tomorrow. luckily the sun stayed in until now but it is poking out and warming up. skiing on what's open is great! maybe 25 people skiing. nice touch on the ice wall! took some effort. could see that from bromley!

Attachments

• 20220317_113414.jpg
    20220317_113414.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

ThatGuy

Think I saw you if you’re a boarder. I just headed out when the rain came.

slatham

Its been a tough year for Magic, would have been out of character for it dump and get cold in March. Hope we up cycle next season to an "old fashioned" winter where normal people are screaming that there's too much snow.

ThatGuy

March 18 9am Update: Glacial freeze on Talisman and Trick overnight so while they will eventually soften up by Noon, we will be putting a groomer on them this morning to open them up by 10AM with a couple passes on each. This will probably be the last day for summit skiing with the loss of snowpack after today’s high temps, and so we will shift operations to Green Lift this weekend. Summit is advanced-only. True ski the east conditions with everything–firm, ice bulges, thin cover, patches of ground, then fun softer conditions as day goes on with high temps and sunny skies Beginners use the conveyor lift today. Ski it while you can!

JoeB-Z

Going up to ski what's there and pull my gear from my locker. Time for plan B.

MG Skier

I am hoping for one more day at Magic this weekend. If Ullr shows up with some snow I'll hope for a few more. Bummer on upper mountain being fried, but I get it.
Here's to the green lift!🍻

ne_skier

March 18 5:00PM Update: We’re going to make another go of summit access and the West Side for tomorrow. Not a guarantee as we don’t know what happens tonight. But we will continue our farming efforts. Green Lift will also be running either way.

ThatGuy

Really respect the gargantuan effort from Ops and Ski Patrol to keep the mountain open for us. Probably will go up for a few laps to end the season.