• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

From various Alpine Updates they've been making progress on the new supply pipeline and the pond rehab. In terms of amenities the lodge deck's gone and getting rebuilt and expanded. At least some of the new build lift parts are up. I'm not aware of any major snowmaking changes above the pumphouse but just having more water available will be a big help - being able to run at 100% through a much longer cold snap should make a huge difference if Nature doesn't come through first.
EDIT: NYDB, exactly the kind of extended low-snow cold snap we saw last year, this pond renovation should be huge when that happens again. One day running wide open can mean nearly five acres covered 1' deep, and doubling the pond adds another ~16 acres without any refilling.
Major valve and pipe work @intersection Tali, Sorcerer and Wizard, which will dramatically improve uphill water pressure which has been big issue (can only run rats). I believe there is more but need to hike up which I plan to do this week.

Also, beside more water in pond, the pond to pump house water line goes from 6” to 10”. That will be a big help to run more guns simultaneously.

Hoping to see the work on tower 13 while here. That is the hard one……..

IceEidolon

Having better inlet pressure on the main mountain pumps plus being able to run both pumps at 100% is nice, and that new pipe sets them up for maybe a third uphill pump in the next several years too.

Based on the assumption they can barely run an HKD at the top of Trick, they can barely run an HKD at the top of the Wizard chute with the pressure fix. Bigger lines won't solve head pressure losses, but they'll sure get more volume at acceptable pressures up above Talisman. And anything using a loop going through that area'll pick most of the gravity losses back up on the way downhill.

Please share some pictures for those of us stuck in the flatlands if you get to go exploring!

slatham

Having better inlet pressure on the main mountain pumps plus being able to run both pumps at 100% is nice, and that new pipe sets them up for maybe a third uphill pump in the next several years too.

Based on the assumption they can barely run an HKD at the top of Trick, they can barely run an HKD at the top of the Wizard chute with the pressure fix. Bigger lines won't solve head pressure losses, but they'll sure get more volume at acceptable pressures up above Talisman. And anything using a loop going through that area'll pick most of the gravity losses back up on the way downhill.

Please share some pictures for those of us stuck in the flatlands if you get to go exploring!
I think I already posted…this is from June. This work at top intersection of Tali and Wizard is supposed to greatly help upstream pressure.

Attachments

• 3C6BCE75-07D5-4D39-82CD-5C54D66AC5E7.jpeg
    3C6BCE75-07D5-4D39-82CD-5C54D66AC5E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

IceEidolon

Yes, that repair is a known quantity - I thought your post yesterday implied a trip in the near future.

If you pass 100 GPM through a 4" valve you get maybe a few psi pressure loss. If you try to pass 750 gpm through that same valve, you get a huge pressure loss downstream/uphill of the valve. That pressure drop they've fixed, but the ~500 psi loss from elevation (2500' to 1350') won't be and that will still keep HKD sleds off the top stretch of Wizard. Gravity giveth and she taketh away.

Newpylong

I am having a hard time understanding why all the legs of that box have isolation valves. Can it be fed from the bottom or the top?

I still can't believe they put Gate valves in on new installs.

Last edited:

Do Work

I am having a hard time understanding why all the legs of that box have isolation valves. Can it be fed up and down?

I still can't believe they put Gate valves in on new installs. The Apollo ball safety drain is an improvement but look at those Mr. Vick blind drains on the right, barf lol.

I have like 30 seconds so to answer your question so in short it's the best we can do with the very limited budget and time allotted for a side project like that. Butterflies are 3x the cost and have caused more problems than any other type and the priority is stopping the constant blowby and enormous fallout resulting from that damage as quickly as possible. Also almost every valve is in a heated building now and in the long run I'm trying to restore full loop water access so every trail would have downline access and water return into our closed loop in the pit/pond so having two-directional usability is also very useful in the long run "fuck around and find out" phase. Couple that with the 0 shits I give about effort to open and close and it all makes perfect sense. Aesthetics be damned, it's a luxury we just don't get and I need every bit of that bi-directional beef and redundancy.

Also above Tali in the past we've had massive issues with insanely (like "watch it grow before your eyes") fast rime ice buildup, which also led to hugely unpredictable emergency-causing backfeeding water on big push nights when water pressure drops which obviously has huge impact on our speed to make up there. The combination bigger flow rate and WOT PSI by the 4 to 6 valve and pipe swap along with the reduced air temp with the active air cooling this year now functional due to the bigger pond line and replaced aftercooler internals and piping, all those shit sandwiches should become at least partially edible now that all the contributing factors have been eliminated in one fell swoop of a summer.

I know we aren't doing it like the big boys do, but we are pulling off major changes for PENNIES on the dollar with limited staff and there are very good reasons for many of the things you see. I don't think many people have any idea just how straight up mind-meltingly-go-insane impossible the battle has really been the last few years (and will continue to be quite honestly) and I don't expect people to understand or empathize in any way but in a nutshell that's the bag of dicks I get to use to cook my lunch with on today's episode of Master Chef.

IceEidolon

If I sound critical without explicitly saying "X is stupid" I don't mean it that way. Magic's ops crew is getting things done piece by piece, often working uphill both ways in the snow to get there.

I don't know that the air cooler has been posted here before, that's a huge deal. We lost our air cooler around 26 wet bulb and went from a trail of decent snow to about as wet as you can get without being rain. Plus keeping water out of the air side keeps everything happier.

Do Work

If I sound critical without explicitly saying "X is stupid" I don't mean it that way. Magic's ops crew is getting things done piece by piece, often working uphill both ways in the snow to get there.

I don't know that the air cooler has been posted here before, that's a huge deal. We lost our air cooler around 26 wet bulb and went from a trail of decent snow to about as wet as you can get without being rain. Plus keeping water out of the air side keeps everything happier.

I totally get it and I don't expect anybody to understand our situation looking in. It's a place for discussion and people care, so they talk about stuff. Certainly no harm in that and I'm far from being beyond reproach in any case. I wish I could be more present publicly but this is the first time I've even been in my office in probably 2 weeks.

Newpylong

I think he was referring to my comment on the valves which likely came across as critical as I read it now. I was just surprised to see gates still being installed for a snowmaking application as the industry has moved to gear operated butterflies on the water side. To each their own and Matt knows what works best for his mountain and crews.

Do Work

I think he was referring to my comment on the valves which likely came across as critical as I read it now. I was just surprised to see gates still being installed for a snowmaking application as the industry has moved to gear operated butterflies on the water side. To each their own and Matt knows what works best for his mountain and crews.

Which is a totally fair assessment on all fronts.

urungus

From the August 18 Alpine Update:

1) looks like black quad towers are still not complete and once again Pfister Mountain Services have gone AWOL. The saga continues…
2) green lift reopened only 4 years ago and already 19 chairs are in need of replacement ?!?

the Green Lift, where yearly testing has shown that we need to replace 19 chairs on our Borvig lift. Those replacement chairs just arrived today which will be sand-blasted and painted a fresh green along with new wooden oak slates for the seats. Expensive, but we can mitigate some of that expense by selling the 19 chairs coming off the lift as prime Magic souvenirs from our 18/19 season mid-mtn lift installation. These 19 chairs are being offered at $800/chair and undoubtedly will go quickly. Here's the link if you want to bring a big part of Magic to your home or business Buy Green Chairs [sold out]

5acf24aa-fae5-4e30-a5f5-5d94f73cb6f9.jpg

Future Green Chairs Arrive!. 19 Green beauties for sale!

In other lift related work, Adam and Mike have been re-building the Red Top Shack and off-loading ramp, while Dan and Russ work on all the Red Chairs. Pfister Mountain Services has been delayed in getting here to finish the remaining halves of 3 Quad tower sheaves/arms which require welding and a large bucket vehicle as part of those installs. We hope to get them back here as soon as possible so we can finish up the remaining work there.

The vitally important snowmaking pond expansion project is on schedule for a October 1 completion date. Josh Hearne as been spending a load of time in the excavator as we partner seamlessy with Hunter Excavating and the engineering team at Dubois & King. The new stream channel work is going well as it is designed to withstand a once in a 500-year flood storm. Who knows the damage elsewhere if that were to occur, but this structure will still be standing and holding.

b91b6c5f-1162-6b24-fca9-dbfcc6446854.jpg
b52dbe00-1dd0-1f00-aac8-948136a01906.jpg

Overflow channel and stream work. Rocks for the stream at the ready.

Progress has been a little slower for the new "Super Deck" of the Black Line Tavern, but the concrete footings are going in this week and lumber is being cut and milled over at Alpen Woodworks so they are ready for install once concrete work is completed. Chris at Alpen is still confident of meeting the September completion date for the wedding on 9/10 at Magic. He's invited to the wedding so, truly, the pressure is on!

cdskier

From the August 18 Alpine Update:

1) looks like black quad towers are still not complete and once again Pfister Mountain Services have gone AWOL. The saga continues…
2) green lift reopened only 4 years ago and already 19 chairs are in need of replacement ?!?
They sold the old chairs for $800/chair? (and sold out already!). That's crazy... I guess with only 19 available to sell that is a factor in people willing to pay that much. Still crazy though.

tumbler

Schister Mountain Services. I feel bad for the management team that are being led on by this company. Time to cut ties and hire someone else. I hope that Magic is holding back money owed to them. I can't stand BS contractors like this.

NYDB

I hope they sued the engineer that designed everything in the first place.

and pfuck that pfister pfellow already. Is this the pfourth or pfifth year of the black lift install? I keep pforgetting. Really hope it’s pfinally completed this pfall.

Newpylong

Who else do you guys believe can (and is willing to perform) the work? I'm all ears, however the question is rhetorical in that I already know the correct answer and you won't like it.

FYI they're not awol, they're at Granite Gorge trying to get the sole lift there in shape so that the mountain can operate this winter.

drjeff

Who else do you guys believe can (and is willing to perform) the work? I'm all ears, however the question is rhetorical in that I already know the correct answer and you won't like it.

FYI they're not awol, they're at Granite Gorge trying to get the sole lift there in shape so that the mountain can operate this winter.
Appreciate your knowledge that the industry and the contacts you have made can provide.

While I do love Magic and all it represents in the industry, had their post referenced Pfisters whereabouts these days with the detail and timeframe they put into their new BLT/lodge deck update, that would of been a good thing.

Probably won't take any issue when Hugh Conway shows up soon on this topic with the "glass is 1/2 empty" view.

For perspective, if my memory is correct, my oldest kid was a U14 and freshman in Highschool when the installation of the Black Quad began. She's now a Freshman in college, and with the latest update who knows if the "new" Black Quad will actually spin and carry folks up the hill this season.

True, there was the COVID factor in the mix, but there does seem to be more excuses than successes as the common denometer in this thread at times

Newpylong

Appreciate your knowledge that the industry and the contacts you have made can provide.

While I do love Magic and all it represents in the industry, had their post referenced Pfisters whereabouts these days with the detail and timeframe they put into their new BLT/lodge deck update, that would of been a good thing.

Probably won't take any issue when Hugh Conway shows up soon on this topic with the "glass is 1/2 empty" view.

For perspective, if my memory is correct, my oldest kid was a U14 and freshman in Highschool when the installation of the Black Quad began. She's now a Freshman in college, and with the latest update who knows if the "new" Black Quad will actually spin and carry folks up the hill this season.

True, there was the COVID factor in the mix, but there does seem to be more excuses than successes as the common denometer in this thread at times
Not defending Pjister here, my question was who else if not him?

Had similar issues with him in the past because he is stretched too thin and tries to help everyone. Problem was, no one else would touch our projects with a ten foot pole (other than one other vendor which ended up botching the install (same engineer as the Black Quad too). See what I'm getting at?

Last edited: