• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

tumbler

yes, I don't know what other contractors that can do the work but I would think there would be more than one that does this type of work. I know Skytrak has worked on retrofits, are they an option? Contractors working at other jobs before finishing jobs they have started is tough to stomach.

machski

yes, I don't know what other contractors that can do the work but I would think there would be more than one that does this type of work. I know Skytrak has worked on retrofits, are they an option? Contractors working at other jobs before finishing jobs they have started is tough to stomach.
Of course, I'd parts need to be fabricated, do contractors just sit around routinely twiddling their thumbs while waiting? Nope, they usually move over to another or the next job they have lined up. Pretty sure that was part of this saga again. And perhaps Pfister thought Granite Gorge would be a "quick" job. Of course, anyone who has taken on renovations of vacant homes can tell you, what looks straightforward often is anything but when you get into the work.

NYDB

While I do love Magic and all it represents in the industry, had their post referenced Pfisters whereabouts these days with the detail and timeframe they put into their new BLT/lodge deck update, that would of been a good thing
they just did that with the latest alpine update.

IceEidolon

As far as the Green Chair replacements, that doesn't sound too implausible for a lift that old, especially that was sitting for so long. If we were hearing about failures in service or during the season, that'd be a very different story. Is it known where the replacements were sourced from?

Black Lift does look like they can finish this fall, assuming the contractor work gets done. It sounds as though all the parts are on site and just waiting to go up, then chairs and testing. It'd be such a big win if day 1 summit access is day 1 for Black Chair too, and that finally looks possible if no more surprises jump out.

slatham

Not sure about prior comments that here was no update on Black - from the Alpine update : “Talked with Pfister today and his crew will be heading here on Wednesday for a week to tackle the remaining prep and install work for new sheaves/hangers on Black Quad towers 6 & 7. Matt will then be helping with the certified welding work required from on high.”

Of course Pfister claiming they’ll show, and actually showing, are 2 very different things. Also, the big challenge, which I’m wondering whether Pfister is trying to avoid, is the tower work on #13 (or is it 18?). Either way, a difficult to access tower on double black terrain.

Tons of progress on pond from my walk around today vs about 3 weeks ago. Lots to do but this crew bites off big pieces each week. Also it looks like the last piece of the much bigger pond to pump house pipe is going in very soon.

Attachments

• 1ED85B3F-073B-4771-B402-AECBD3A87E7F.jpeg
    1ED85B3F-073B-4771-B402-AECBD3A87E7F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • E5EFA17C-8F80-47B2-89D7-FB49013ED8C0.jpeg
    E5EFA17C-8F80-47B2-89D7-FB49013ED8C0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • A80E383E-BBBE-4D84-BE10-A0CFFD8CE524.jpeg
    A80E383E-BBBE-4D84-BE10-A0CFFD8CE524.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • DD538C87-BC6C-4A75-8BB3-70C912A1793D.jpeg
    DD538C87-BC6C-4A75-8BB3-70C912A1793D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

hughconway

Another Sept 1 has come & gone without any sort of significant progress on the Black Quad. Supposedly the contractor will be back this week to handle some of the 'easy' towers, but the "hard to access" tower that has been the source of all sorts of excuses is still untouched. While there is still enough time to get the installation complete before the season starts, if the history of this job is any indicator of the future, I suspect the lift will be delayed....again.

Does anyone know if the rope tow relocation to the beginner area was handled this summer? It's been queued up for 2-3 years now, and they still haven't managed to get the handle tow reinstalled.

It's great to see that they've finally gotten around to the snowmaking pond upgrades that have been scheduled for several years.

Hopefully this will be the year that it all 'comes together' for magic, but I'm still pretty skeptical at this point.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another Sept 1 has come & gone without any sort of significant progress on the Black Quad. Supposedly the contractor will be back this week to handle some of the 'easy' towers, but the "hard to access" tower that has been the source of all sorts of excuses is still untouched. While there is still enough time to get the installation complete before the season starts, if the history of this job is any indicator of the future, I suspect the lift will be delayed....again.

[....]

Hopefully this will be the year that it all 'comes together' for magic, but I'm still pretty skeptical at this point.
This is at least the second ski area that seems to be at the mercy of this same contractor. What is the deal? Is it that they work on a cash-only basis? Are they just THAT busy?

Sotto

This is at least the second ski area that seems to be at the mercy of this same contractor. What is the deal? Is it that they work on a cash-only basis? Are they just THAT busy?

There are only a handful of installers that will work on these types of projects. And they are less every year. Think about all the new/relocated lifts going in everywhere. Every installer is stretched thin. The area's that pay get the first priority the ones who don't get placed on the back burner.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are only a handful of installers that will work on these types of projects. And they are less every year. Think about all the new/relocated lifts going in everywhere. Every installer is stretched thin. The area's that pay get the first priority the ones who don't get placed on the back burner.
Sure, but I would think that it would be in the interest of said-contractor to at least COMPLETE A LIFT and have it operating rather than this piecemeal and long-drawn out approach. I would not hire a contractor if he bit off more than he could chew. But then again, to be fair, I don't know if it is simply that the owner did not have the cash to get it done in one-fell swoop. It looks bad for the owner and the contractor.

Newpylong

The handle tow has not been "queued-up" for 2-3 seasons, they started installing it in November last year, not really a lot of time to finish before the snow flies. Unsure about status this year. Still a lot time left to finish that.

As for the questions about Pjister: I will break it down again:

-Pjister Mountain Services: does quality work and knows what they are doing, but unless it's an emergency, you could get stuck waiting. Tim tries to take care of everyone, and that does mean emergencies that get in the way of projects. When you are really the only go for this type of stuff in New England, this is what happens. As for folks thinking it makes him look bad? He isn't exactly short of work, so that's humorous.
-Skytrans: you don't want them doing the work and Magic knows it.
-Skytrac: the only other possibility, but they are based out West, probably initially came in above PMS at the project's onset if they were involved in an RFP. Not sure though.
-Partek: they'd put a new lift in for you from re-used Borvig and other components, but not relocate a Poma.
-Poma: won't touch a lift relo unless it's part of a new buy
-Dopplemeyer: won't touch a lift relo unless it's part of a new buy, and Black Line is a Poma anyway

If it were me I wouldn't be happy with the timeline, but when you're not buying new, this is the hand you are sometimes delt. If it weren't for the engineering f-up, it would have been a two year install. My guess is after this debacle Tim won't do another relo again no matter what it pays, plenty of other work out there.

Last edited:

slatham

Does anyone know if the rope tow relocation to the beginner area was handled this summer? It's been queued up for 2-3 years now, and they still haven't managed to get the handle tow reinstalled.

It's great to see that they've finally gotten around to the snowmaking pond upgrades that have been scheduled for several years.

Hopefully this will be the year that it all 'comes together' for magic, but I'm still pretty skeptical at

They did design and manufacture several sheave assemblies, and installed at least 2 (Towers 8 and 18). They also manufactured a new 1/2 tower arm. From what I understand all the parts necessary to complete installation are on site, with some of them being installed this week. The pressure point is getting Pfister onsite and completing the work as there is still a bunch to do prior to being ready for load test and inspection. So progress was made, but skepticism (in Pfister) remains for sure.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The handle tow has not been "queued-up" for 2-3 seasons, they started installing it in November last year, not really a lot of time to finish before the snow flies. Unsure about status this year. Still a lot time left to finish that.

As for the questions about Pjister: I will break it down again:

-Pjister Mountain Services: does quality work and knows what they are doing, but unless it's an emergency, you could get stuck waiting. Tim tries to take care of everyone, and that does mean emergencies that get in the way of projects. When you are really the only go for this type of stuff in New England, this is what happens. As for folks thinking it makes him look bad? He isn't exactly short of work, so that's humorous.
-Skytrans: you don't want them doing the work and Magic knows it.
-Skytrac: the only other possibility, but they are based out West, probably initially came in above PMS at the project's onset if they were involved in an RFP. Not sure though.
-Partek: they'd put a new lift in for you from re-used Borvig and other components, but not relocate a Poma.
-Poma: won't touch a lift relo unless it's part of a new buy
-Dopplemeyer: won't touch a lift relo unless it's part of a new buy, and Black Line is a Poma anyway

If it were me I wouldn't be happy with the timeline, but when you're not buying new, this is the hand you are sometimes delt. If it weren't for the engineering f-up, it would have been a two year install. My guess is after this debacle Tim won't do another relo again no matter what it pays, plenty of other work out there.
Can you remind me what the "engineering f-up" was? I have a vague recollection.

And sounds like this guy does not generally do lift re-installs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it was with a sheave train design not sure on specifics.
That's what I recall was one issue, but it seems like a relatively small issue to hold up an entire project. But then again I get that this would require a professional engineer to draft plans, some time to fabricate/locate the materials, etc.

IceEidolon

My recollection is the profile of the lift changed substantially from the original install to the new install. Their original reinstall had either normal or depress sheaves on certain towers, and under certain conditions it needed both. This should have been caught during pre-install engineering, but wasn't. Compounding the issue, new parts for that model lift aren't readily available - replacement wear items, yes, but not so much brand new tower arms or entire combo sheave trains - so new ones had to be fabricated and still need to be installed.

In case that was too boring, at least one tower is almost completely inaccessible to road vehicles - the Magic install was via helicopter, and getting the replacement into position and up the tower is going to take planning, effort, and equipment. Coordinating that equipment with Pfister availability... Yeah.

cdskier

That's what I recall was one issue, but it seems like a relatively small issue to hold up an entire project. But then again I get that this would require a professional engineer to draft plans, some time to fabricate/locate the materials, etc.
How is having to re-engineer sheave assemblies for multiple towers (with some requiring custom fabrication) a relatively small issue?

hughconway

It last spun on hocus pocus during the 19-20 season. They announced the closing of the tube park (to make way for the terrain park) and the relocation of the tow from hocus pocus to the beginner area in March of 2020. March of 2022 was 2 years. It's now ~6 months out from March 2022 making it a solid 2.5 years (right in the middle of the 2-3 year claim I made and you are trying to refute).

I haven't seen any mention of progress (real or planned) in 2022.