• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

IceEidolon

That bodes well - if that's the last major item, there's a month and a half (two, if it's a slow start) to finish major work, hang the chairs, load test, and handle any other issues they find.

slatham

That bodes well - if that's the last major item, there's a month and a half (two, if it's a slow start) to finish major work, hang the chairs, load test, and handle any other issues they find.

While I am sure they want it available for first day of summit skiing - which itself is usually not until mid-December - the real goal is Christmas. So 2 1/2+ months.

No chairs to load - they are on the line. I presume they already went through NDT, but maybe not. Still, I am sure there are a ton of things to do once they can spin it.

IceEidolon

While I am sure they want it available for first day of summit skiing - which itself is usually not until mid-December - the real goal is Christmas. So 2 1/2+ months.

No chairs to load - they are on the line. I presume they already went through NDT, but maybe not. Still, I am sure there are a ton of things to do once they can spin it.
Have they done their partial NDT? They may need to pull some for testing. I wasn't aware/paying attention that most were already hung.

Per official FB this tower is supposed to take two weeks (give it three - nothing is ever as easy as it's meant to be) so that still leaves them with about a month give or take before they start losing the summit work road to snowmaking.

slatham

Have they done their partial NDT? They may need to pull some for testing. I wasn't aware/paying attention that most were already hung.

Per official FB this tower is supposed to take two weeks (give it three - nothing is ever as easy as it's meant to be) so that still leaves them with about a month give or take before they start losing the summit work road to snowmaking.
As long as they get tower 13 done, access road not needed. Shouldn’t be anything to bring up that can’t be brought on a cat.

IceEidolon

They just finished the two week timeline, I still think it could take another week before we hear anything else even without anything major going sideways. Has anyone heard different?

995o.jpg

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=995

hughconway

They just finished the two week timeline, I still think it could take another week before we hear anything else even without anything major going sideways. Has anyone heard different?

You're surprised that Magic has failed to meet another project milestone that they have announced? The damn dam was supposed to be done on 10/1, the deck on 9/9 and the beginner area handle tow 2 years ago, yet all of these projects are still unfinished. It's mind blowing that the management & marketing crew still haven't figured out that setting & failing to meet project deadlines is a very bad look.

IceEidolon

You're surprised that Magic has failed to meet another project milestone that they have announced? The damn dam was supposed to be done on 10/1, the deck on 9/9 and the beginner area handle tow 2 years ago, yet all of these projects are still unfinished. It's mind blowing that the management & marketing crew still haven't figured out that setting & failing to meet project deadlines is a very bad look.
It's mind blowing how desperate you're getting to dredge up crap (maybe save that for the pond?) now that Black's actually having visible progress.

skiur

It's mind blowing how desperate you're getting to dredge up crap (maybe save that for the pond?) now that Black's actually having visible progress.
While hugh obviously has it in for magic and goes quite overboard with his hate for management there, there is some truth in what he is saying.

drjeff

Anyone else think that the cross bar on that tower that the sheaves will be on, looks a bit small, especially compared to what the typical bulk of the cross bars on an L-P tower look like?

I am sure that the steel used is plenty strong to handle the load that will be placed on it, however to the eye it appears small.

Wonder if there will be some type of walkway installed on it once both sheave trains are inplace so as to facilitate safer access for the lift mechanics in times such as when they need to de-ice the sheaves and/or do regular maintenance on them?

hughconway

Please accept my apologies if these facts hurt your feelings.

I'm not the one creating these BS timelines, but folks like yourself keep falling for the lies - hook, line & sinker. As the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing (or in this case believing) the same thing over & over and expecting a different result each time.

hughconway

Anyone else think that the cross bar on that tower that the sheaves will be on, looks a bit small, especially compared to what the typical bulk of the cross bars on an L-P tower look like?

I see what you are saying, but am not sure. I don't know if that cross arm in the picture is the old one or the 'new' re-engineered part?

IceEidolon

There's really not much to these towers once you take away the lifting frame, and this is a depress tower so you need to pull the haul rope down, not up.

I can see a little bit of what might be walkway on the downhill side - maybe the uphill walkway was removed during the rebuild?

Attachments

• BlackLineTower.png
    BlackLineTower.png
    500.8 KB · Views: 21

slatham

From what I understand Tower 13 is getting a new - or partially new - cross bar, not just sheave assembly, so that is probably why it looks so “thin” - the rebuilt part not installed yet.

Newpylong

Please accept my apologies if these facts hurt your feelings.

I'm not the one creating these BS timelines, but folks like yourself keep falling for the lies - hook, line & sinker. As the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing (or in this case believing) the same thing over & over and expecting a different result each time.

Don't see anyone grabbing a lure and running out the line. I see a group of faithful that are likely as frustrated as management with the timeline and have granted them a lot of slack, deserving or not. One has to keep mind, all of these capital projects that have taken multiple years to implement aren't exactly core "do or die" services that aren't being delivered. The Green Chair was a huge addition, was the ski experience broken without it? No. Current management inherited a neutered second summit chair that could not reliably pass inspection. There hasn't been a lift where the tow is going since the 90s...They are improving the mountain, if it takes 3 years then it takes 3 years to do some things. They've probably learned to be a little more realistic by now on timelines.

I've had plenty of less than flattering comments about how the area I used to run has been operated in recent years. But I've realized I'm not going to change anything by publicly grinding the ax and to be frank, it makes one look petty.

Dickc

Last I heard from Magic, they are hoping to have Pfister up there later this week to begin installing stuff. I'm sure that depends on Pfister being free to do it. I am willing to bet that Magic is on the low end of Pfister's prioroties as Magic is operating on a bit of a shoestring and not able (or willing) to pay premium rates. The fact that stuff is getting done, slowly but surely, is a great sign.

ne_skier

The only reason Hugh Conway spews his vile shit across this thread at any given opportunity is to get a reaction out of the people who actually care about the mountain. He knows that the things he says make no sense and are entirely unprovable, so there’s no point explaining anything to him. Don’t feed the troll.