The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 216

AlpineZone

Page 216 of 221 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2202
    Nice job yesterday by the glade work crew after some big set up clearing by DoWork & Jeremy Thurs/Fri This one just got a whole lot better!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I saw that the new quad is hoping to be ready for MLK? Is this an inside install or is Poma contracted?

As I understand it, Pfister Mountain Services. Same firm that did the Green Lift.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    I saw that the new quad is hoping to be ready for MLK? Is this an inside install or is Poma contracted?
    I think Magic is a great mountain, and from what I have seen & heard the new ownership has really been doing a great job. That said, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he|| that the new quad is done for this season. Same installers took 2 years to do the green double mid mountain lift, and that already had the towers in place. Unless I am mistaken, they have yet to install towers or the top & bottom bullwheels. Sorry for the skepticism, but I am a realist.

Quote Originally Posted by hughconway View Post
    I think Magic is a great mountain, and from what I have seen & heard the new ownership has really been doing a great job. That said, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he|| that the new quad is done for this season. Same installers took 2 years to do the green double mid mountain lift, and that already had the towers in place. Unless I am mistaken, they have yet to install towers or the top & bottom bullwheels. Sorry for the skepticism, but I am a realist.

the green lift was partially constructed and then left to decay for years. That's a totally different installation process then putting up a new (to them) lift that was in proper working order. You can't even compare the two

Quote Originally Posted by hughconway View Post
    That's why I was asking. It will be a game changer when done but a budget is a budget it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    That's why I was asking. It will be a game changer when done but a budget is a budget it appears.
    Hum, never thought of delays being the result of budget issues, and certainly haven't heard that, but I guess possible. Delays as I have heard them are due to issues that have come up during the process (issues with the ledge requiring more blasting for instance).

Magic doesn't "need" the quad until MLK, which is 3 months away. Killington finished North Ridge around October 1st. Where were they on July 1st as a comparison? All I can find on social media is a post on July 30th that they were pouring tower bases. Not apples to apples obviously (Black is 19 towers vs 9, more challenging terrain, much longer), but 2 months later they were done. So I still think it very possible the quad can be running by MLK but it will be tight. I hope no other unplanned issues arise.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

I don't like that Magic gets a pass for late lift construction. Felt the same way with the Green lift even with the contractor passing. If this was a major resort and a main lift wasn't going to be completed til MLK weekend this forum would have bashed and bashed to no end. IMO a promise to your customers is a promise no matter how big or small your business is. Green was more understandable as it had been sitting and rotting away but I don't really get how this chair can fall so far behind schedule given it was open and running 10 miles away two years ago.

Personally I do not have a Magic pass so I've got no skin in the game, and I will still definitely visit Magic this season with or without Black.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I don't think they get a 'full pass' if the lift doesn't spin this year, but assuming red remains reliable and green spins when needed, I can deal. Disappointing yes, but there was no black lift last year either so......

Bottom line is that I appreciate them actually going for the full lift replacement instead of continual patching of the old lift. Couple that with the overall improvements over the last 3 years with new ownership and management and I'll give them a 'half pass'.

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

Didn't the lift that replaced the new black, the Snowbowl HSQ at Stratton, not get finished until almost MLK weekend last year?

Coincidence?? Who cares!

Props to Magic for pulling this off, regardless of when it finally spins

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17 (Mount Snow)

Thread Information